Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with Off-Road suspension

sacarmic

Reaction score
So looking to purchase a new 2500. Have been looking at the Auto-Level suspension, but found a very good deal on pretty much what I want except it has the off-road suspension instead of auto level. I will be towing a lot but also using around the farm where off-load would be nice. My question is, how is the off-road suspension option for towing? Trying to decide if I should just wait for one with the auto-level or go forward with this good deal on the off-road equipped truck.

Thanks for any input!

RB18C

Reaction score
How heavy are you towing? Do you really need auto level? I pulled just fine with my 2500 with the off road package.

mtoma

Reaction score
Running a complete Carli setup on my 2500 since 2013 and tow heavy regularly. Installed a set of Firestone airbags when I did the rear springs and it's worked great. I run little to no air in the bags when off-roading to get the full benefits of the suspension and then air up when towing.
I'll be putting the same suspension on my 19 3500 next month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sacarmic

Reaction score
I would probably max out at about 12k lbs..... I don't know if I do, but I usually keep vehicles a long time so I want to make the right purchase.

RB18C

Reaction score
I’d buy the truck that offered the best deal. Just add airbags after market. Much cheaper then the factory option.

jsalbre

Reaction score
The only suspension difference between the off-road package and the standard (not air) suspension is the Bilstein shocks. The springs are the same, so I wouldn’t really expect much difference in towing.

Obviously the air suspension has some benefits for towing on the ball with no weight distribution (or hauling in the bed), but neither option (or lack there of) is going to affect the amount you can safely tow.

I’ll be towing about 9k of Airstream every week and after lots of research I went with the off-road package, as it sounds like the air suspension has less travel off-road.

Brav

Reaction score
Running a complete Carli setup on my 2500 since 2013 and tow heavy regularly. Installed a set of Firestone airbags when I did the rear springs and it's worked great. I run little to no air in the bags when off-roading to get the full benefits of the suspension and then air up when towing.
I'll be putting the same suspension on my 19 3500 next month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

can you tell me difference in ride quality after you added rye air bags to carli suspension? How heavy is your trailer?

Users who are viewing this thread