Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with gas vs diesel

Rekd

Reaction score
...for everyday non-towing use, the gas trucks are actually nicer to drive.That is simply a fact.
Haaaahahahahahahahaha.

How arrogant of you to assume everyone likes what YOU like.

The FACT is I prefer a diesel over a gasser for ANY driving.

Be an adult and admit yours is NOT the only way.

You don't make those decisions.jpg

tchur1

Reaction score
I love these threads. There is no right answer to this question because everyone's use case is going to be different along with each individual's personal towing/financial/comfort preferences. Sure there are guidelines (ie towing over 10k, probably diesel territory) but its still so variable that if you asked 100 people this question you'll get 100 different answers on why one is better than the other.

In the meantime ill grab my popcorn and enjoy the entertainment.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
As expected, the quick rebuke for the stoplight drag race comment. As if nobody else besides me has ever done that in an HD truck. No, we don't buy our trucks for drag racing. But that's not to say we won't try to "take" an annoying or aggressive driver at a traffic light. My point is simply that for everyday non-towing use, the gas trucks are actually nicer to drive. That is simply a fact. For towing anything significant, the diesel trucks are nicer to drive.
For you maybe but even when i had my gas 1/2 ton i would still use my dually for daily driving i much preferred it

troverman

Reaction score
I'm not intending to create a big issue here. If you drive a gas 2500, it is more responsive to input from your right foot...regardless of whether you are comparing it to the high or standard output Cummins. Part of that is due to the lousy transmissions behind the two Cummins engines and the excellent transmission behind the gas engine. Part of it is simply due to a responsive naturally aspirated engine vs one that needs a lot of turbo boost to generate significant power. The diesel, once spooled, has a great feeling of torque that pushes you back in the seat...but with a slow launch. The everyday smoothness of the gas engine and 8-speed transmission is nice. To each their own.

jetrinka

Reaction score
For you maybe but even when i had my gas 1/2 ton i would still use my dually for daily driving i much preferred it
Well cmon now - we know there isn't a single person out there that wouldn't rather be ridin dirty in a sweet 2nd gen!! Not even an apples to apples comparison :p:p:D

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
I'm not intending to create a big issue here. If you drive a gas 2500, it is more responsive to input from your right foot...regardless of whether you are comparing it to the high or standard output Cummins. Part of that is due to the lousy transmissions behind the two Cummins engines and the excellent transmission behind the gas engine. Part of it is simply due to a responsive naturally aspirated engine vs one that needs a lot of turbo boost to generate significant power. The diesel, once spooled, has a great feeling of torque that pushes you back in the seat...but with a slow launch. The everyday smoothness of the gas engine and 8-speed transmission is nice. To each their own.
Got it....a smooth 0-60 time of 20 seconds while "towing" vs put you back in the seat donkey stomping torque of the diesel.....so for TOWING the dizzel is king....coulda just said that from the get go....of course we all knew that anyway....anybody who tows 10k and above knows the diesel is where it's at...where these debates come from is the wallet....if you don't want to spend the money to get the diesel then don't....but don't try to act like the gasser "pulls like it ain't even back there" so you can downplay the diesel to justify your decision....now if you wanna open a thread about smoothest driving fast trucks....your ideology might be on point....

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Read my signature, you'll see gas and diesel trucks. I'm in the interesting position of having very similar trucks to compare. Some people w/ diesel just like to put gas engines down to somehow justify the extra money they paid...whatever. A Cummins *could* reach 500k miles, or even more. But the vast majority of them never see those miles...the truck falls apart well before that.

Ehhh not quite. Take the hot shot business -- There are guys putting 300k on their cummins trucks in 2 years or less with VERY little issue. Some have eclipsed 400k and I was reading on one with over 500k just the other day. These are 4th and 4.5 gen trucks. tons of examples of this.

Firebird

Reaction score
I did enjoy my 6.4 Bighorn, but when the opportunity presented itself to get $4K more than I paid for it, and to score a dually 3500 Cummins for $59K, I knew I needed to jump all over that deal! I have not regretted it.

Users who are viewing this thread