Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing Roar Uphill

Redfour5

Reaction score
Anyone else notice this...feature? This only happens when I'm going up a mountain/steep grade and only at a certain point. It may be the fan, I do not see any particular stresses occurring per the guages but at a certain point, as the grade goes up I get this "roar" that continues until you crest the grade then it stops almost immediately as soon as the pressure is off the engine going down. It does not happen when I am NOT towing or on the flat...ever.

I'm thinking it is normal. It does not appear to be transmission or engine as such but something peripheral.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I thought so, just wanted to get some others experiences on this... Thanks

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Your coolant temp gauge is likely reading 217-225 or so when that happens. Sound is normal and is the fan doing it's work.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Certainly can be an alarming noise if you've never heard it before :eek:. Totally normal though.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Anyone else notice this...feature? This only happens when I'm going up a mountain/steep grade and only at a certain point. It may be the fan, I do not see any particular stresses occurring per the guages but at a certain point, as the grade goes up I get this "roar" that continues until you crest the grade then it stops almost immediately as soon as the pressure is off the engine going down. It does not happen when I am NOT towing or on the flat...ever.

I'm thinking it is normal. It does not appear to be transmission or engine as such but something peripheral.
I hear it on this TFL run
on the Ike Gauntlet at around the 5 minute mark. So, I'm not too worried. They later comment on it as the fan at 9 minutes. AND, this Ike run when you consider they are at full capacity in a non-aspirated at well over 10,000 feet. I'm good with a similar set up and I'll never be at full weight...I hope. The wife still wants an ever bigger fifth wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread