Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing right off the lot?

wowens79

Reaction score
I'm looking at a new Ram 2500 with the 6.4, and I think I will probably end up buying from a dealer about 350 miles away. I've got a Jeep TJ (4000lbs) with a tow bar that I could drive to the dealer, and then tow it back. Would this be harmful to a new truck?? I know fleets do it, but I don't want to do any damage to a new truck.

Warweasel

Reaction score
I towed a 14k+ 5th wheel right off the lot when I had my 2012, with no harmful effects.

BillnLA

Reaction score
Owners manual states not to tow in first 500 miles, then states a "break in " period of first 500 miles towing with max speed of 50 mph. Not sure it would damage a new vehicle, but I followed the manual just to be sure.

litzdog911

Reaction score
Owners manual states not to tow in first 500 miles, then states a "break in " period of first 500 miles towing with max speed of 50 mph. Not sure it would damage a new vehicle, but I followed the manual just to be sure.

I thought the 500-mile break-in period applied to gas engines, not so much the diesels.

Grunt4Life

Reaction score
2020 states the same p.323 in user manual

litzdog911

Reaction score
From the 2020 manual under "Towing Information":
Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles (805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.
 Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle. This helps the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

From the manual under "Diesel Engine Break-In Recommendations"
The Cummins® Turbo Diesel engine does not require a break-in period due to its construction. Normal operation is allowed, providing the following recommendations are followed:
 Warm up the engine before placing it under load.
 Do not operate the engine at idle for prolonged periods.
 Use the appropriate transmission gear to prevent engine lugging.
 Observe vehicle oil pressure and temperature indicators.
 Check the coolant and oil levels frequently.
 Vary throttle position at highway speeds when carrying or towing significant weight.
NOTE:
Light duty operation such as light trailer towing or no load operation will extend the time before the engine is at full efficiency. Reduced fuel economy and power may be seen at this time. For additional vehicle break-in requirements, refer to “Trailer Towing” in “Starting And Operating” of the Owners Manual. Because of the construction of the Cummins® Turbo Diesel engine, engine run-in is enhanced by loaded operating conditions which allow the engine parts to achieve final finish and fit during the first 6,000 miles (10,000 km).

Klinger

Reaction score
I will have to tow my toy hauler as soon as I get my truck. Have to take it from RV park to new storage lot. They are at least holding the RV at the park until my truck comes in I had sold my other truck because initially I was told my truck would be in late December. Now it’s eta is 1/24- 2/7 and my lease is up at park 1/31 Luckily it’s only about 40 miles and I can take my time

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily drive it like ya stole it, but easy does for the first few or four hundred miles of towing and it should be fine.

GatorHunter

Reaction score
Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles (805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.
 Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle. This helps the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

The Cummins® Turbo Diesel engine does not require a break-in period due to its construction. Normal operation is allowed, providing the following recommendations are followed:
 Vary throttle position at highway speeds when carrying or towing significant weight.
NOTE:
Light duty operation such as light trailer towing or no load operation will extend the time before the engine is at full efficiency. Reduced fuel economy and power may be seen at this time. For additional vehicle break-in requirements, refer to “Trailer Towing” in “Starting And Operating” of the Owners Manual. Because of the construction of the Cummins® Turbo Diesel engine, engine run-in is enhanced by loaded operating conditions which allow the engine parts to achieve final finish and fit during the first 6,000 miles (10,000 km).
I just got a ‘21 and will have over 3k in it by the time I pull trailer. So would I still need to do the break in? I only seen 300m break in in the ‘21 manual and nothing on towing break in. ‍♂️‍♂️

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I just got a ‘21 and will have over 3k in it by the time I pull trailer. So would I still need to do the break in? I only seen 300m break in in the ‘21 manual and nothing on towing break in. ‍♂️‍♂️

400-500 miles to wear in the rear end. Then work it hard.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Your fine besides with an HD truck is flat towing a 4k jeep really considered working it lol.... the break in is for the diff gears you will be fine i have never seen a bad outcome from towing after a fresh set of gears in the rear end

Will_T

Reaction score

NOTE:

That ^^ sure is confusing.

I like this better. Easier to understand for sure:

400-500 miles to wear in the rear end. Then work it hard.

I will be driving about 650 miles over two days when I pick up the truck. Mostly freeway but some city stop and go in the middle. I guess I will just vary speed and rpm some on the highway and not use cruise control. Maybe take a few extra off and on ramps. Then when I get home plan to leave on a towing camping trip asap.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That ^^ sure is confusing.

I like this better. Easier to understand for sure:

I will be driving about 650 miles over two days when I pick up the truck. Mostly freeway but some city stop and go in the middle. I guess I will just vary speed and rpm some on the highway and not use cruise control. Maybe take a few extra off and on ramps. Then when I get home plan to leave on a towing camping trip asap.

You got it. vary speed, no extended cruise, Make frequent stops to let the rear R&P heat/cool a bit. I would try the cruise options to get familiar with the controls, just don't run it at a constant RPM for long periods.

Maybe not necessary to that extent but it can't hurt.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Lots of hard on and let off throttle breaks em in rather nicely

zsqure

Reaction score
Break in is for the gears like many have said. I towed 4500 lbs 4hrs with less than 150 miles on my 1/2 ton Eco, no issues and i am at 120k now.

Users who are viewing this thread