Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing Related Gauges

SAJ

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I am getting a new 2021 Ram 2500 Cummins in the next week or so - replacing my 2003 2500 Cummins. In my 2003, I had installed an aftermarket Edge Insight Digital Gauge. I am used to it yelling at me if my truck is at at risk ;) and keeping an eye on it for example the Exhaust Gas Temp etc. With such an upgrade to a newer truck, I am trying to decide if I need to keep the Edge Insight or sell it with the truck. I am upgrading from such an older vehicle that it's honestly hard for me to get my head around what the newer truck can give me as info.

So, to help me decide, and forgive me if this is SUCH a newbie question -- will the 2021 Ram 2500 (Big Horn Level2 Package) give me the same data and alerts that I need when I tow -- I tow a horse trailer primarily. Cheers -- Sarah

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
No alerts until minimum thresholds are met, then depending on the area of concern, a MIL (malfunction indicator lamp or "check engine light") or on some warnings (depending on what driver screen you get) a full color digital depiction or message about the problem.

Do you have the the 7" driver info screen coming? Not sure if it's on Big Horn level 2. The Safety Group comes with it though. The 7" has a gauge info area where you can select a gauge individually, or put it on a summary page showing Oil Temp, Oil Press, Coolant Temp, and Trans Temp. All other gauge spots can be customized so along with the summary I have boost pressure, trailer brake application, exhaust brake, battery volts, range, avg MPG, and digital MPH readout all on the same screen at once. The standard screen has the summary page if I recall as my buddies 2018 low option Tradesman has it.

SAJ

Reaction score
Hey Epsilon Plus -- thanks for the quick response. Looked at the window sticker again - looks like it does have the "cluster 7 inch display." It also has the night edition which, if memory serves, might make it a 12". But, I'm guessing that the 7 " display I will have is what your referencing. On my Edge - I could set the minimum thresholds that would then alert me. So sounds like the minimum thresholds are actually set at factory but are adjustable by the user. This is great news!! Thanks so much ;)

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
The factory MIL thresholds are not adjustable with out a tuner, even then not sure if one exists to do that. Something like HP Tuners on a GM LS could do that.

Also 12" is an option apart from the Night Edition.

Darkside

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I am getting a new 2021 Ram 2500 Cummins in the next week or so - replacing my 2003 2500 Cummins. In my 2003, I had installed an aftermarket Edge Insight Digital Gauge. I am used to it yelling at me if my truck is at at risk ;) and keeping an eye on it for example the Exhaust Gas Temp etc. With such an upgrade to a newer truck, I am trying to decide if I need to keep the Edge Insight or sell it with the truck. I am upgrading from such an older vehicle that it's honestly hard for me to get my head around what the newer truck can give me as info.

So, to help me decide, and forgive me if this is SUCH a newbie question -- will the 2021 Ram 2500 (Big Horn Level2 Package) give me the same data and alerts that I need when I tow -- I tow a horse trailer primarily. Cheers -- Sarah
If you ordered your truck with navigation (either the 8.4” or 12”) you get the off-road pages, I like having the gauges on the radio screen to keep an eye on things while I’m towing. Not sure if the diesel has an EGT gauge, I have the Hemi.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I'm using an Edge CTS3 on my 2020 3500 5.7 HO. I had a CTS2. Edge will take your CTS2 on trade for a new CTS3, that's what I did.

Reactions: SAJ

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Epsilon Plus -- thanks for the quick response. Looked at the window sticker again - looks like it does have the "cluster 7 inch display." It also has the night edition which, if memory serves, might make it a 12". But, I'm guessing that the 7 " display I will have is what your referencing. On my Edge - I could set the minimum thresholds that would then alert me. So sounds like the minimum thresholds are actually set at factory but are adjustable by the user. This is great news!! Thanks so much ;)

Threshold alerts are not something you can set on a factory display.

The "7-inch display" is referring the the driver instrument cluster, called the EVIC. There's a 3.5" B/W, 3.5" Color, and 7" full color gauge cluster.

1619289571001.png

1619289632205.png

The "12-inch" is the radio display. 5", 8.4" (with and without NAV) or 12" options.

The 7" EVIC can be customized with different gauges in the corners and the L/R positions and miles (or KM) showing tenths.

1619290480470.png

Last edited:

SAJ

Reaction score
This is SO helpful! Thanks so much ;) I really want to be able to to read the EGT - maybe the upgrade of my Edge system is the way to go!

Last edited:

Will_T

Reaction score
I'm using an Edge CTS3 on my 2020 3500 5.7 HO. I had a CTS2. Edge will take your CTS2 on trade for a new CTS3, that's what I did.
I tried calling Edge to get this answer, but after about 20 minutes on hold I gave up. Sent an email over a week ago and no answer yet. On their site it does not list the 2021 3500 as compatible with the CTS3. It does not say it is not compatible, just does not list it. Not sure if this is a website updating issue or if you really can not use the CTS 3 with the 2021? Does anyone know?

Reactions: SAJ

SAJ

Reaction score
Yep -- I tried to ring them on this question to no avail myself! I also left a message with my mechanic to ask him too. I've depended on that EGT to keep my sanity while hauling horses for a quite a while. Would be weird to not have it!

Will_T

Reaction score
Yep -- I tried to ring them on this question to no avail myself! I also left a message with my mechanic to ask him too. I've depended on that EGT to keep my sanity while hauling horses for a quite a while. Would be weird to not have it!
I have a suspicion that their website is just not up to date but it is also possible that they do not have the CTS3 working with the 2021s yet. But if the first option, I would go ahead and order. If the 2nd then will have to wait until they get it together for the 2021s. Would be nice if they would answer their phones or return emails so we would know! Although their being unavailable might be an indication of the quality of their technical support and a reason to look to another brand. I do like the display and the gauge options of the CTS3 though.

Will_T

Reaction score
I did get through to Edge today to ask them about availability of the CTS3 for my 2021 3500. They told me not available for probably another 6 to 8 months. Was told that was because "the new locked PCMs are hard to get into and get what they need to configure the CTS3". I have not checked with others, like Banks, but I imagine it is the same with them. So it looks like us 2021 owners will be waiting until 2022 before we have access to running after market supplemental digital gauges. Does anyone know if the wait was this long for the 2019 and 2020 Rams to be supported?

I just like to watch the various gauges, mainly for entertainment purposes. But I would really like to have access to the EGT readings and also the gear display with torque converter lock/unlock.

Update: I just talked to Banks about their iDash8 and the support/sales person tried to convince me that it would work with the 2021 Ram 6.7, but she was not very convincing at all. She just referred to all the gauges/PIDs listed on their website and said most "should" work with my truck even though Banks has not yet tested the 2021 trucks for compatibility. I like the CTS3 screen more than the Banks iDash but I would rather have the Banks if I could be sure it works rather than wait 8 months for the CTS3. Banks did say that any PIDs that did not work right now would eventually be updated and can be downloaded and installed to the iDash.

Most of the ones I think I would use are pretty basic, like EGT1, Current Gear and Torque Converter Unlock/Lock status so I may be OK but... Does anyone use the Banks iDash8 Super Gauge or Data Monster with their 2021 6.7? Can you confirm it works? Thanks.

Last edited:

SAJ

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the update Will_T - I’ll keep an eye out for the update! I like the same EGT readings. I have appreciated everyone’s input. Cheers

Will_T

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the update Will_T - I’ll keep an eye out for the update! I like the same EGT readings. I have appreciated everyone’s input. Cheers
Sure. And hopefully there will be someone on here that is using the Banks with a 2021 and will let us know how it is working. As I noted, if the Banks works now and the CTS3 won't until next year, I will get the Banks. But would like confirmation that it is working with the 2021 CTD trucks before I order.

Users who are viewing this thread