Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing question

P.A.

Reaction score
I am new to this forum so take it easy on me. :p

We are looking at upgrading from travel trailer to 5th wheel and therefore we will need to upgrade from our F150 to a 3/4 ton truck. We're looking at the Ram 2500's. Of course so hard to find right now so may need to build one. I'm in no hurry. Won't be camping til next spring.

But my question is the 5th wheel we'll probably get is not a real big or heavy one and this one will be the one we stick with until we're done camping. We're in our 60's and it's just us two. The 5th wheel has a GVWR of 10,995. So this is loaded. Hitch weight is about 1500lbs dry. I'm trying to stay around $50,000 or less for this truck. Looking at the Tradesman or Big Horn. Don't need a lot of bells and whistles but do want crew cab and 4x4. What I'm wanting to know is what is something I should have on it if pulling a 11,000lb 5th wheel? Looking at the 3.73 axle to get the little bit better MPG although I know it won't be great while towing.

I DO NOT want a diesel or dually so those are out of the question. Thanks in advance.

BikePilot

Reaction score
I would get a 3500 for the additional stability with the leaf springs and payload capacity. Generally with the 8spd and the modern gassers there's no material penalty for going with the deeper gears, and likely a small advantage when towing and in town. So with the hemi I would do 4.10s without hesitation.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
3.73 is perfectly fine for the odd time pulling a camper . If you plan on pulling it for weeks at a time very regularly then i would consider 4.10s

A 2500 would fit your needs well by the sounds of it

MtnRider

Reaction score
You are in 2500 territory with that trailer but do you think you would ever go bigger or are you sure that is the one you will be getting? While that trailer will work with a 2500 gas you are getting close to the max I would pull with it. The other questions is how often? Do you plan on a couple trips are year or are you planning to do more long term travel with it?
Either way, I'd get the lowest gears you can on the gas truck, especially if you are towing in the mountains or hills.

I would also get at least a Big Horn for a little more comfort and I never go without 4x4. It takes nothing to get a 2x4 stuck when pulling a trailer. Just some wet grass and you are done. Also 2x4 trucks are harder to come by and have less resale value. Same with a regular cab vs crew, harder to come by, these desirable for resale.

P.A.

Reaction score
3.73 is perfectly fine for the odd time pulling a camper . If you plan on pulling it for weeks at a time very regularly then i would consider 4.10s

A 2500 would fit your needs well by the sounds of it
Thanks for the reply. We take maybe 10 trips a year. We live in Okla so no hills or mountains just wind. Would like to go a little farther but it would never be more than 3 hours at a time. I forgot to mention it would be our daily driver so that is why wanting to keep the MPG a bit better and parking a 2500 will be a little more of a challenge than our F150. We'll never get anything bigger of a trailer than the one we're getting, no need..it's just us two so it will be plenty in the way of size and layout. I might also add that this particular trailer is a 150 series, meant to be pulled with a 1/2 ton truck.

I think the 2500 will be plenty of truck for our needs. We don't carry a lot of cargo in our truck or trailer. And the first thing we would do on our first trip out would be to go to the scales.

P.A.

Reaction score
You are in 2500 territory with that trailer but do you think you would ever go bigger or are you sure that is the one you will be getting? While that trailer will work with a 2500 gas you are getting close to the max I would pull with it. The other questions is how often? Do you plan on a couple trips are year or are you planning to do more long term travel with it?
Either way, I'd get the lowest gears you can on the gas truck, especially if you are towing in the mountains or hills.

I would also get at least a Big Horn for a little more comfort and I never go without 4x4. It takes nothing to get a 2x4 stuck when pulling a trailer. Just some wet grass and you are done. Also 2x4 trucks are harder to come by and have less resale value. Same with a regular cab vs crew, harder to come by, these desirable for resale.

Thanks. See my post below.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. We take maybe 10 trips a year. We live in Okla so no hills or mountains just wind. Would like to go a little farther but it would never be more than 3 hours at a time. I forgot to mention it would be our daily driver so that is why wanting to keep the MPG a bit better and parking a 2500 will be a little more of a challenge than our F150. We'll never get anything bigger of a trailer than the one we're getting, no need..it's just us two so it will be plenty in the way of size and layout. I might also add that this particular trailer is a 150 series, meant to be pulled with a 1/2 ton truck.

I think the 2500 will be plenty of truck for our needs. We don't carry a lot of cargo in our truck or trailer. And the first thing we would do on our first trip out would be to go to the scales.
I think you will be in good shape with that then

P.A.

Reaction score

Thanks. Definitely a 4x4. I haven't seen the interior of a Big Horn only a Tradesman and it did look a little cheap. So does the Big Horn look nicer?

MtnRider

Reaction score
Thanks. Definitely a 4x4. I haven't seen the interior of a Big Horn only a Tradesman and it did look a little cheap. So does the Big Horn look nicer?

Big Horn is a little nicer. The running joke is the tradesman has no padding on the door panels so it hurts your elbows after a while if they are resting on it Lol.
If it's in your budget I'd go Big Horn but they all pull the same.

P.A.

Reaction score
Big Horn is a little nicer. The running joke is the tradesman has no padding on the door panels so it hurts your elbows after a while if they are resting on it Lol.

Ahh got cha. Thanks for clarifying that. :D

RV_Goose

Reaction score

errr...nope. The Tradesman have higher payloads.

senecagreen

Reaction score
I am new to this forum so take it easy on me. :p

We are looking at upgrading from travel trailer to 5th wheel and therefore we will need to upgrade from our F150 to a 3/4 ton truck. We're looking at the Ram 2500's. Of course so hard to find right now so may need to build one. I'm in no hurry. Won't be camping til next spring.

But my question is the 5th wheel we'll probably get is not a real big or heavy one and this one will be the one we stick with until we're done camping. We're in our 60's and it's just us two. The 5th wheel has a GVWR of 10,995. So this is loaded. Hitch weight is about 1500lbs dry. I'm trying to stay around $50,000 or less for this truck. Looking at the Tradesman or Big Horn. Don't need a lot of bells and whistles but do want crew cab and 4x4. What I'm wanting to know is what is something I should have on it if pulling a 11,000lb 5th wheel? Looking at the 3.73 axle to get the little bit better MPG although I know it won't be great while towing.

I DO NOT want a diesel or dually so those are out of the question. Thanks in advance.
What does your current trailer weigh? What mpg are you getting now pulling it with your half ton gas motor F150? It sounds like you are considering a 10,000 lb 5th wheel.

You already know you will need a 3/4 ton to handle the extra weight. Another reason is less strain on a heavier duty trans and lower trans temps pulling. The wind can be brutal in Oklahoma especially if you head south a lot.

If you get 10mpg now with your current setup you can probably expect 6mpg with a new gas motor 3/4 ton and a 10,000lb 5th wheel. Are you going to be okay with it taking 10 gallons of gas to go 60 miles?

I know you are ruling out the diesel. I live in Oklahoma and was getting 10 mpg pulling my 4000lb trailer with my gas Silverado half ton. In hilly Arkansas or even pulling into a 25mph south wind I could see my trans temp creep up. And on a hill it would kick down into 5th and even 4th if the hill was long enough. There are a few of those on the way to Tulsa from Okc.

I went to the diesel because heavy duty trans equals less strain and lower temps and average 15mpg towing and have seen 17mpg on flat ground plus I want to retire in 3 years and know the diesel will last.

So lets say you buy your 5th wheel and could get 10mpg pulling it with the diesel versus 6mpg with the gas. Thats 100 miles on 10 gallons of fuel vs 60. Becuse diesel is higher than gas here that only saves you $129 every 1000 miles assuming 2.75 for gas vs 3.29 for a gallon of diesel. That doesn't sound like much but for me its worth it because there is less strain on the diesel trans and at 70mph its sitting on its 850ft lb torque peak.

If I bought a travel trailer it would be a 2017 or newer Airstream 22ft FB which weighs less than 5000 lbs and is bumper pull so I am thinking 14mpg pulling that 5000lb billboard down the road and at 14mpg my fuel savings would be even more at $223 every 1000 miles.

I paid $56,700 OTD for my 2021 Ram 2500 tradesman withe the diesel, 3.73, anti spin 4x4 with the chrome appearance package and level 2 package with the nicer interior. Thats about $6000 over your budget. I bought it at Carter County Dodge. Ask for Sleepy. I have bought 3 vehicles from him.

Just giving you some info to consider...

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What does your current trailer weigh? What mpg are you getting now pulling it with your half ton gas motor F150? It sounds like you are considering a 10,000 lb 5th wheel.

You already know you will need a 3/4 ton to handle the extra weight. Another reason is less strain on a heavier duty trans and lower trans temps pulling. The wind can be brutal in Oklahoma especially if you head south a lot.

If you get 10mpg now with your current setup you can probably expect 6mpg with a new gas motor 3/4 ton and a 10,000lb 5th wheel. Are you going to be okay with it taking 10 gallons of gas to go 60 miles?

I know you are ruling out the diesel. I live in Oklahoma and was getting 10 mpg pulling my 4000lb trailer with my gas Silverado half ton. In hilly Arkansas or even pulling into a 25mph south wind I could see my trans temp creep up. And on a hill it would kick down into 5th and even 4th if the hill was long enough. There are a few of those on the way to Tulsa from Okc.

I went to the diesel because heavy duty trans equals less strain and lower temps and average 15mpg towing and have seen 17mpg on flat ground plus I want to retire in 3 years and know the diesel will last.

So lets say you buy your 5th wheel and could get 10mpg pulling it with the diesel versus 6mpg with the gas. Thats 100 miles on 10 gallons of fuel vs 60. Becuse diesel is higher than gas here that only saves you $129 every 1000 miles assuming 2.75 for gas vs 3.29 for a gallon of diesel. That doesn't sound like much but for me its worth it because there is less strain on the diesel trans and at 70mph its sitting on its 850ft lb torque peak.

If I bought a travel trailer it would be a 2017 or newer Airstream 22ft FB which weighs less than 5000 lbs and is bumper pull so I am thinking 14mpg pulling that 5000lb billboard down the road and at 14mpg my fuel savings would be even more at $223 every 1000 miles.

I paid $56,700 OTD for my 2021 Ram 2500 tradesman withe the diesel, 3.73, anti spin 4x4 with the chrome appearance package and level 2 package with the nicer interior. Thats about $6000 over your budget. I bought it at Carter County Dodge. Ask for Sleepy. I have bought 3 vehicles from him.

Where are you getting your numbers….

senecagreen

Reaction score
From my results pulling my 4000lb trailer now versus before and what gas and diesel costs here in the Okc metro area.

P.A.

Reaction score

I appreciate all your information and time. Not sure if you would get better MPG towing a larger/longer TT verses a 5th wheel, but my daughter tows a 34 TT with her gas Ram 2500 and gets about 9mpg. It's weight is similar to the 5th wheel we are looking at. Currently our F150 gets about 10-12 towing our 31ft bumper pull. Without pulling it's about 17-18 city without pulling and hwy low 20's. This is one thing my husband is not looking forward to is the MPG. But to address your diesel info. It would cost about $9-$10k more up front plus the maintenance is so much more. So that is one reason why we don't want to do it. Plus we've never owned a diesel and don't really know too much about them. It's just not within our needs.

P.A.

Reaction score
Wonder what the payload would be for a gas Big Horn? Not going to get a lot of bells and whistles. Probably level 2/B group

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Wonder what the payload would be for a gas Big Horn? Not going to get a lot of bells and whistles. Probably level 2/B group
I ordered a Crew Cab Long Bed with the 50 gal tank. I wanted as much payload as I could get. No plans to tow larger than a 12k trailer, but a 5er has a typical pin weight of 20-25%.

Ignore the pin weight stickers that the RV manufacturers put on the trailers, those are typically calculated at 15% for a 5er. Not typically realistic.

Anyway, from all the research I’ve done over the past 6 months, you can usually expect 2800-3000 lbs of payload on a gas 2500 BH.

A 3500 in the same configuration would be about 1000-1200lbs more, typically.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Some other useful threads

Users who are viewing this thread