Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing In 4H When Weather Conditions Aren't Favorable???

1FstGPa

Reaction score
Spring time weather in the Colorado Rockies can be real testy at times. One moment we can experience 40 mph crosswinds and a thin covering of snow to make a mess of things. 20 minutes later the sun is out, birds are singing and one is layering down wondering "Why is it so hot out?"

Such is the case this week!

Now to my point! ;) We are picking up our brand new Forest River FW this Thursday from a dealer that is 100 mile away. With that distance and with the spring time weather the way it is all of this got me to wondering. Towing in 4H when those crosswinds and snow make it a little slick? I looked high and low in the Owner's Manual, but came up with nothing. Your thoughts?

BTW - 2W when conditions are dry <<< I know!

bfs673

Reaction score
While I'm no expert, switching to 4wd when needed while towing shouldn't hurt anything. You already know about the 4wd in dry conditions = not good.
You may find yourself not needing 4wd at all, even in a bit of bad weather due to the increased weight on your rear axle.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Shift in and out of 4wd as you see fit. You can shift at any speed. Best to be bellow 55...but if you are going 65 just lift of the accelerator and shift to 4wd. It will make the shift when all conditions are met.

Your situation is What it is designed for.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I am not a fan of 4 wheel drive on ice and snow at speed above 20, maybe 30, mph. But living in SE USA I have never run snow or studded tires. And we only visit Pennsylvania or Wisconsin during some snow/ice for a week then we are back home.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Hopefully whatever blows in will be melted and gone by Thursday for your trip, but yeah, no need to hesitate. If you feel you need 4WD, turn it on until you feel comfortable going back to 2WD.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Shift as you want but the extra trailer weight really does not warrant it i never need 4x4 with my trailers so far unless pulling them out of deep snow

Aketay

Reaction score
I only use 4wd after I slide or realize that I was going to fast for changing conditions. Mostly good for getting started then switch back to 2wd. I have driven hundreds of miles in 4wd at 55 mph in the snow and even on wet pavement. That said, nothing works on ice except studs or chains.

kxnate

Reaction score
There are lots of times when we run in 4H in the Montana/Wyoming winters when going snowmobiling, pulling a 4 placed enclosed trailer with 4 sleds at 55-65 MPH in 4H on snow covered/icy roads, has never hurt any of our trucks.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of 4 wheel drive on ice and snow at speed above 20, maybe 30, mph. But living in SE USA I have never run snow or studded tires. And we only visit Pennsylvania or Wisconsin during some snow/ice for a week then we are back home.

That's OK, leave the winter driving to the experts. ;) :p

Spring time weather in the Colorado Rockies can be real testy at times. One moment we can experience 40 mph crosswinds and a thin covering of snow to make a mess of things. 20 minutes later the sun is out, birds are singing and one is layering down wondering "Why is it so hot out?"

Such is the case this week!

Now to my point! ;) We are picking up our brand new Forest River FW this Thursday from a dealer that is 100 mile away. With that distance and with the spring time weather the way it is all of this got me to wondering. Towing in 4H when those crosswinds and snow make it a little slick? I looked high and low in the Owner's Manual, but came up with nothing. Your thoughts?

BTW - 2W when conditions are dry <<< I know!

I tend to not use 4Hi unless it's really slick. 4Hi at whatever speed you feel in control if you're getting slippage. You probably know this, but don't let 4WD fool you into thinking it's going to brake any better or steer much better at speed. The traction control will help avoid some poor skills/habits. It should go without saying, don't use cruise!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That's OK, leave the winter driving to the experts. ;) :p

I tend to not use 4Hi unless it's really slick. 4Hi at whatever speed you feel in control if you're getting slippage. You probably know this, but don't let 4WD fool you into thinking it's going to brake any better or steer much better at speed. The traction control will help avoid some poor skills/habits. It should go without saying, don't use cruise!
The cruise is pretty good how it kicks out in these trucks thankfully, i hit black ice and at the first sign of slippage the cruise kicked off... not saying its proper to use it in slick conditions but i was just impressed lol

RV_Goose

Reaction score
There are lots of times when we run in 4H in the Montana/Wyoming winters when going snowmobiling, pulling a 4 placed enclosed trailer with 4 sleds at 55-65 MPH in 4H on snow covered/icy roads, has never hurt any of our trucks.
I've used 4 wheel drive many times pulling my 5th wheel camper. Even used 4L when on friends fields.

GBB

Reaction score
People worry WAY too much about using 4 wheel. If you uncomfortable, throw it in 4 wheel and forget about it. My trucks literally spend 5+ months in 4 wheel, every year. Never had an issue.
Same here..

Reaction score
I have used 4wd-High when towing for very long durations in Ice, Snow and heavy rain conditions. I also have used it when climbing tall bridges and they have the steep joints which will cause the rear tires alone to slip, jerking the drivetrain once they hit the concrete... by shifting into 4wd prior to climbing the bridge, the drivetrain never gets the shock and the load being hauled is never upset in any way.

I also recommend in the rain using 4wd if on the freeway or at high speeds to give the vehicle added stability in a straight line.

ALWAYS use 4wd LOW when at a boat ramp. As a Marine Hauler, I cannot tell you how many new/old trucks... all with 4wd capability I have seen slide into the water as the boater was trying to power launch or load a boat on the trailer, essentially creating a leveraged pivot to lessen the rear tires' contact with the slippery surface. By locking in 4wd-Low, your drive and parking brake hold ALL FOUR WHEELS!!

Also... another hint at the ramp: Do not under incline throw it into park without first letting the entire drivetrain slack slowly load the park detent with the emergency brake fully pushed to the floor BEFORE releasing your foot from the brakes. Quickly dropping Park and jumping off the brakes can snap the detent in the transmission and let the whole truck roll effortlessly into the water. NEVER BE IN A RUSH!!!

1FstGPa

Reaction score
Living in Colorado I've seen some bizarre accidents on the road when the weather turns. At least to me, since I have lived in the desert of AZ for most of my life and snow was Pfffffft. So it all made me wonder about the 4H question and making sure I wasn't going to screw something up in the process (like having one drivetrain over compensate for the other). Just leaning on the cautious side over something I knew nothing about.

Appreciate the great answers and Thanks everyone!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have used 4wd-High when towing for very long durations in Ice, Snow and heavy rain conditions. I also have used it when climbing tall bridges and they have the steep joints which will cause the rear tires alone to slip, jerking the drivetrain once they hit the concrete... by shifting into 4wd prior to climbing the bridge, the drivetrain never gets the shock and the load being hauled is never upset in any way.

I also recommend in the rain using 4wd if on the freeway or at high speeds to give the vehicle added stability in a straight line.

ALWAYS use 4wd LOW when at a boat ramp. As a Marine Hauler, I cannot tell you how many new/old trucks... all with 4wd capability I have seen slide into the water as the boater was trying to power launch or load a boat on the trailer, essentially creating a leveraged pivot to lessen the rear tires' contact with the slippery surface. By locking in 4wd-Low, your drive and parking brake hold ALL FOUR WHEELS!!

Also... another hint at the ramp: Do not under incline throw it into park without first letting the entire drivetrain slack slowly load the park detent with the emergency brake fully pushed to the floor BEFORE releasing your foot from the brakes. Quickly dropping Park and jumping off the brakes can snap the detent in the transmission and let the whole truck roll effortlessly into the water. NEVER BE IN A RUSH!!!

Good advice for unknown conditions.

Most of the ramps we use are deeply grooved pavement and not slimed so they can easily be managed in 2WD with our small (4K) SeaDoo boat. I leave it in D with the brake applied when we switch drivers after I back it in. If I left it in 4WD on pavement, my wife would forget to take it out and F it up. The one lake we go to with dirt lots and ungrooved concrete ramps gets the 4WD treatment.

Users who are viewing this thread