Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing enclosed trailer with 6.4

Surfen316

Reaction score
Anyone towing a 20 to 24 foot enclosed trailer with the 6.4? Wondering about mpg and other experience with it.

Rideplrs

Reaction score
Anyone towing a 20 to 24 foot enclosed trailer with the 6.4? Wondering about mpg and other experience with it.
I have a 19 2500 6.4 crew. I tow a 24 ft enclosed v-nose . It's a very tall trailer, no problem fitting side by sides in there. I came from a 14 ram 2500 6.4 crew. The 8 speed tranny is so much better. Feels like the truck has an extra 100 horses, even though it doesn't. Pulls it like nothing but the mileage is poor. It's flat where I live and I get around 7,8 mpg. Still very happy with this truck.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
Only thing I can tell you is that a few months ago, I had to borrow a truck and horse trailer as my '04 stranded me. I was able to borrow an '18 (I think) 2500 6.4 and a 3 horse slant aluminum bumper pull. When I borrowed it, I actually used it as a test drive to see if I wanted to revert to a new gasser rather than buying another cummins. Within 5 miles I knew the answer for me.

The trailer is smaller and lighter even with two horses in it than my 26ft enclosed race trailer usually is. Considering I live in Western PA, I'd say the terrain started a little hilly, but then got a lot flatter - but certainly not "Texas" flat.

The truck pulled well - it's not like I felt I couldn't pull. However I strained just to even get close to the speed limit (65mph) and my foot was on the floor a lot. On the same exact route that my '04 5.9 used less than 1/2 a tank of fuel, the 6.4 needed to be refueled from a topped off tank. It was while pulling a smaller, lighter trailer, at lower speed.

I'm not saying the 6.4 can't pull. It most certainly can. I'm also not saying the cummins is the right answer for everyone. It isn't. But the difference in pulling around here between the two cannot even be contemplated. Like I said, within 5 miles I knew that sadly I wasn't going to be able to save money and go back to a gasser.

Oh, to be clear - it was a 6 spd auto not an 8spd. So, I'm not sure how much difference that would have made. I'd guess a little for sure, but probably not a completely different experience.

Surfen316

Reaction score
I have a 19 2500 6.4 crew. I tow a 24 ft enclosed v-nose . It's a very tall trailer, no problem fitting side by sides in there. I came from a 14 ram 2500 6.4 crew. The 8 speed tranny is so much better. Feels like the truck has an extra 100 horses, even though it doesn't. Pulls it like nothing but the mileage is poor. It's flat where I live and I get around 7,8 mpg. Still very happy with this truck.
Thanks that kinda what I was looking for. Thinking of getting an enclosed for quads just wondering how bad the mpg is going to be.

Surfen316

Reaction score
Only thing I can tell you is that a few months ago, I had to borrow a truck and horse trailer as my '04 stranded me. I was able to borrow an '18 (I think) 2500 6.4 and a 3 horse slant aluminum bumper pull. When I borrowed it, I actually used it as a test drive to see if I wanted to revert to a new gasser rather than buying another cummins. Within 5 miles I knew the answer for me.

The trailer is smaller and lighter even with two horses in it than my 26ft enclosed race trailer usually is. Considering I live in Western PA, I'd say the terrain started a little hilly, but then got a lot flatter - but certainly not "Texas" flat.

The truck pulled well - it's not like I felt I couldn't pull. However I strained just to even get close to the speed limit (65mph) and my foot was on the floor a lot. On the same exact route that my '04 5.9 used less than 1/2 a tank of fuel, the 6.4 needed to be refueled from a topped off tank. It was while pulling a smaller, lighter trailer, at lower speed.

I'm not saying the 6.4 can't pull. It most certainly can. I'm also not saying the cummins is the right answer for everyone. It isn't. But the difference in pulling around here between the two cannot even be contemplated. Like I said, within 5 miles I knew that sadly I wasn't going to be able to save money and go back to a gasser.

Oh, to be clear - it was a 6 spd auto not an 8spd. So, I'm not sure how much difference that would have made. I'd guess a little for sure, but probably not a completely different experience.
Yeah the gas to the Cummins is no competition but I just don’t need a diesel just don’t tow all that much. Guess I’ll just be at slower speeds and crap mpg for the few times a month I tow.

Bigg Slimm

Reaction score
I will echo what others have said about the 6.4L towing an enclosed trailer. The gas mileage is not great at all. I have a 2019 Tradesman CC 6.4 3.73 and I tow a 20ft v nose enclosed trailer. I have towed in various terrain from Ohio to NY to VA to GA and I tow around 73mph and get about 7 mpg at best. Getting up to speed and maintaining speed is not an issue but the faster i go i can see my mileage getting worse. However, everything else is fine in terms of towing stability and handling the load with the exception of downhill braking. If you have seen the video from The Fast Lane Truck testing the new 6.4 on the Super Ike, the downhill test has been my experience. The tow haul mode needs to be a lot more aggressive when going downhill because it just does not downshift early enough to help control the speed therefore you are using your brakes a lot more.

Surfen316

Reaction score
I will echo what others have said about the 6.4L towing an enclosed trailer. The gas mileage is not great at all. I have a 2019 Tradesman CC 6.4 3.73 and I tow a 20ft v nose enclosed trailer. I have towed in various terrain from Ohio to NY to VA to GA and I tow around 73mph and get about 7 mpg at best. Getting up to speed and maintaining speed is not an issue but the faster i go i can see my mileage getting worse. However, everything else is fine in terms of towing stability and handling the load with the exception of downhill braking. If you have seen the video from The Fast Lane Truck testing the new 6.4 on the Super Ike, the downhill test has been my experience. The tow haul mode needs to be a lot more aggressive when going downhill because it just does not downshift early enough to help control the speed therefore you are using your brakes a lot more.
I’ll Be in similar terrain. How heavy is your trailer? If you slow down does it help at all ? I have the same truck but with 4.10 rears. I did see that video have you tried to manually down shifts

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I'm quite excited for camping season to get here so I can try out the 8-speed & 4.10s (assuming I can find some new spots that weren't impacted by this years fires).

I don't have my own, but rent 24-30' travel trailers throughout the camping season and frequently travel that same stretch of I70 from the Ike Gauntlet videos.

I never had any concerns with my 2016 and even with the 3.73 gears, 5" lift and 37s, almost always averaged over 10 mpg (hand calculated after full trip to include the uphill climb plus downhill coasting).

Bigg Slimm

Reaction score
I’ll Be in similar terrain. How heavy is your trailer? If you slow down does it help at all ? I have the same truck but with 4.10 rears. I did see that video have you tried to manually down shifts
Trailer is about 3600 and the car is a little over 3400. I do carry extra wheels and tires and other gear.

Certain hills I do use the manual shift, particularly when I'm in Virginia going through what I believe is called the Blue Ridge pass. I use to tow with a 2017 ford f250 6.2 with 3.73. Its tow haul was so much better going downhill. If you lifted off the accelerator it would downshift or if you tapped the brake.

Attachments

• 20200821_071938.jpg
    20200821_071938.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 26

Sarge33Army

Reaction score
I tow a 30 ft. x 11 ft. x 8.5 ft. travel trailer with loaded weight of 7,200 lbs. at elevations from 1,000 to 6,000 ft. The 6.4L/8-speed does a good job for me. Average towing mpg is 10.5 over just about 2,000-miles. I try to keep my tow speed at 65-mph on the interstate. I rarely use cruise control when towing as it really hurts mpg in the hills and mountains.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I tow a 30 ft. x 11 ft. x 8.5 ft. travel trailer with loaded weight of 7,200 lbs. at elevations from 1,000 to 6,000 ft. The 6.4L/8-speed does a good job for me. Average towing mpg is 10.5 over just about 2,000-miles. I try to keep my tow speed at 65-mph on the interstate. I rarely use cruise control when towing as it really hurts mpg in the hills and mountains.

This has been my experience in the little towing I've done... 65 or so seems to be the sweet spot.
If you're going to blast down the interstate towing then you're mileage is gonna suck...

Firebird

Reaction score

I can tell you from owning both, the 6 speed truck is a dog compared to the new 8 speed. I pull a 34 foot travel trailer with mine, and it never missed a beat! However, I only get 9mpg towing

foneguy

Reaction score
ive done both, i used a 2020 tradesman 2500 crew can 2wd std bed with a 6.4 hemi pulled a repeater trailer from kansas city to indiamapolis the trailer weighed 8000 lbs i got 7-8 mpg all flat land and 13 mpg empty at 70 mph that with me keeping the trans in 6th and 7th gear

now i have a 2019 2500 tradesman crew cab long bed crew cab 4wd cummins empty at 65-70 im at about 22 mph at 60 mph i get 25 mpg
towing my 40' fifth wheel at 10K to 12K lbs from ohio to Ms and back i averaged 12-15 mpg thats through the mountains ( up hill was 6mpg) 6 speed auto trans

for some the mpg is ok with the gasser but the towing and al the power to never downshift is a dream with the cummins and the longevity of the diesel is much better.
for me the diesel is the best option, also i only haul the fiver a couple times a year as were seasonal up here we travel to see our son in the AirForce.

just my 2 cents worth

raphelmary

Reaction score
I have tried it one. I towed a 22 enclosed trailer with a 6.4 mpg. Though not my own. It was for a friend. The experience was not so bad. The speed was averagely okay and there was no casualty.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
I tow a 30' 9000 pound trailer with my 2500 MegaCab powered by the 6.4 Hemi with 8 speed and 4.10 gears. I have never lacked for power in any situation. Last year coming back from the Smokies going up mountains on the Interstate I was able to pass many trucks with minimal effort. Doing 65 mph come up to a slow truck, get in the left lane and hit the gas. Trans downshifts and I am up to 75 in a blink of an eye. The adaptive cruse control (in tow haul mode) did a great job regulating the speed both up and down hill. I also know that if I wanted I could also use the gear limiter for severe grades downhill. But I would agree with other posters that the 6.4 is a thirsty beast. But I knew that going in. Its not my daily driver and I did not buy it for mpg. I bought it for capability. And on that it delivers!

louisiana_dog

Reaction score
If your trip is a longer distance, consider the long bed for the 50 gallon tank. My range is about 430 miles without towing in the short bed ~30 gallon tank. Thankfully I don’t tow much.

Users who are viewing this thread