Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing and hauling a camper

Bigtuna

Reaction score
I think I know the answer to my question.

I want to haul camper and tow a 13k boat at the same time.

My truck is a Ram 3500 SRW long bed Cummins SO.

My max pay load is 4200 pounds. Ram states my truck can bumber tow 20k.

I think as long as the camper, gear, occupants and tongue weight don’t exceed my max payload i should be fine.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
That's a very common setup but truck campers are heavier than you think they are, and that manufacturers underestimate their product's actual weight (or state the camper weight with no extra options) is not helping.
What's your boats tongue weight and what sort of camper are you looking at?

dieselscout80

Reaction score
When we had our 1999 Lance 915 (9.5’) slide in truck camper the tag said it weighed about 2,300 lbs, but when camping it was always a bit over 3,000 pounds.

It was a light weight compared to what I see on trucks today some of them the tag says 4k pounds, so plan on another one thousand pounds for stuff not included in the tag weight.

Last edited:

Bigtuna

Reaction score
That's a very common setup but truck campers are heavier than you think they are, and that manufacturers underestimate their product's actual weight (or state the camper weight with no extra options) is not helping.
What's your boats tongue weight and what sort of camper are you looking at?

Unfortunately for me I think the combined tongue weight and camper weight would be to much.

But to answer your question it should be about 10%. I’m estimating about 1300 pounds. But I have not measured it yet.

Firebird

Reaction score
If I were going to tow what you plan, then it would be a dually all the way, but I'm a fan of having more truck than I need, not barely enough or not enough. I prefer margin when towing.

Bigtuna

Reaction score
If I were going to tow what you plan, then it would be a dually all the way, but I'm a fan of having more truck than I need, not barely enough or not enough. I prefer margin when towing.

I agree. I think I’m going to scrap the camper idea. It was just a thought.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Your math seems to work but I am not too sure if it reflects reality. As some have noted, a dually would be a more appropriate truck but that may not be an option for you.

buzzuti

Reaction score
I think I know the answer to my question.

I want to haul camper and tow a 13k boat at the same time.

My truck is a Ram 3500 SRW long bed Cummins SO.

My max pay load is 4200 pounds. Ram states my truck can bumber tow 20k.

I think as long as the camper, gear, occupants and tongue weight don’t exceed my max payload i should be fine.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

"as long as the camper, gear, occupants and tongue weight don’t exceed my max payload i should be fine"

Yep. You are spot on.

Weigh your truck empty (with full fuel). (Cat Scales)
Subtract that number (truck weight) from your GVWR (sticker inside driver side door jam)
GVWR - Truck Weight = Total Available Payload Capacity

Gear + Camper + Boat tongue weight + Truck weight empty <= GVWR

Also worth knowing the GCVW (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight), which is all the things added up (truck & all and trailer & all), it is the max everything can weigh all together.

gprguy

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. FWIW I had a 3500 dually and this trailer:

IMG_3338.jpeg

Granted that's a heavy camper, probably heavier than you were thinking, but the trailer was empty and weighs half as much as your boat. I only towed this once to get it home from the factory, and while it towed great my feeling was it was too much for the truck, especially when the trailer would be loaded. That started me on a journey to get a 4500 which will handle this kind of setup with ease.

The other thing to consider is tongue to back of camper clearance. You may have been looking at a camper with no overhang, but if there is one at all I don't think you'll find a proper hitch extension rated for 13k.

Bigtuna

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. FWIW I had a 3500 dually and this trailer:

View attachment 59465

I don't think you'll find a proper hitch extension rated for 13k.
That’s what I’m thinking. And I’m not sure I’d want an extension for 13k. Larger boats are tricky to tow because nearly all the weight is aft. They can get pretty bouncy on a bad road.

Users who are viewing this thread