Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing 6.4l Hemi vs. 6.7 SO (My Experience)

HD Eddie

Reaction score
The RV - 2020 Forest River Stealth SA2816G (5vr - toy hauler) with all the bells and whistles. Cargo consists of an ATV, small chest freezer, chairs, firewood, beer, fishing nets,food, clothes, etc. Everything needed to spend a week dry camping near the Kasilof River (minus water - that comes later). The scales (in Fairbanks) put the rv at 12,392 (minus water). The terrain and mileage from Fairbanks, AK to the Kasilof River (about 15 miles south of Soldotna, AK) is approx 520 miles, of mostly rolling hills, however there are a few grades of 6-8% (est) on the Parks, Seward and Sterling Highways. Upon arrival in Soldotna, Fred Meyers has water and dumping facilities. We’ll fill the 5vr with 140 gallons of fresh water (adding approx 1100#) of additional weight. The drive from Soldotna to our camping grounds is about 15 miles. With visions of Sockeye Salmon dancing in our head, I actually, can’t really notice the xtra half a ton, or so. We upgraded our RV in 2019 and pulled this 5vr with the 6.4l Hemi in 2020 and the 6.7 in 2021. This report is based on my experience using both trucks.

2015 Ram 2500 Longhorn Limited, Crew Cab, 6.4 box, 6.4l Hemi, 6 speed and 3.73 gears & premium gas (90 Octane)
The truck pulled the RV flawlessly, I had no issue(s) with oil, trans or water temps. All stayed within 5-10 degrees of normal. The tow/haul button was used exclusively and the truck would maintain the rig within 5 MPH (going downhill) of hill crest speed. I will admit to gaining a tad bit more MPH before the next “rolling hill”, just to keep it from shifting. That’s where, I felt the Hemi lacked in the towing department. On some of those grades, the Hemi was either screaming in 1st gear or lugging in 2nd. Keep in mind, this was the 6 speed tranny, I understand the new Hemi has the 8 speed and I hear they tow a tad bit better. When pulling a few of those grades, and looking at the “feel good instant MPG gauge” I swear, if there was a negative number available, it would have displayed it. Ha! I was never able to set the cruise control, the slightest “mound” would lug the hell out of her, and then downshift to the next “lug”. The MPG, all hand calculated at 7.9 to 8.4 (depending on which part of the Parks, Seward and Sterling Highways we were on, and the wind direction. We travel at night, so most of time the wind did not play a significant factor. Not sure how I did it, (Well, I do, but…. Ha!) I convinced the “bank” that I needed a better platform to pull this 5vr. She agreed! Payload was also a significant factor. The 5vr kingpin booked at (approx) 1900 pounds. I believe the truck (2500) payload was booked 2300(?). To me, that didn’t leave a lot of “wiggle” room for a full tank of fuel, my fat a$$ and the wife. We didn’t put anything in the bed of the truck for that reason. Given today’s “Sue, Sue Sue” one accident and “You exceeded payload” and we (insurance company) will not pay. Do payloads get exceeded every day? Yep, but I will err on the side of caution. The bottom line for me on the Hemi? VERY Capable, just not Optimal.

2021 Ram 3500 SRW, Limited, Crew Cab, 6.4 box, 6.7 SO, 6 speed and 3.73 gears & Diesel Kleen Additive
This truck also pulled the 5vr flawlessly, and remarkably, the oil, trans and water temps never moved from thier normal readings. I also used tow/haul feature as well as the Engine Brake (Auto) and using these in combination actually slowed the rig to the point I needed to push the accelerator to keep from being pushed down the hill by an 18 wheeler. No more gaining speed for the next hill (ok, just a bit more). The 6.7 never shifted more than twice, and when it did, it stayed in that gear and just chugged up the hill, and the “feel good instant MPG Meter”, never went below three MPG. I will admit, the desire to pass a few RVs on some of those grades was too temping to pass up. So….I hit the fuel pedal and we took off. My wife looked at me a few times and like most wives, said “feel better honey?” Oh &^%$ yes! “Good” she says. “Ya know your going 75”. Oh S%$#, yes Dear. Trust me, I’m not a speed demon and I travel just at, or slightly below the speed limit. On certain stretches of the highway, I was able to set the cruise control, sit back and enjoy the overall towing experience. Now for the MPG, I hand calculated at 9.3 to 9.8 and according to the “feel good instant MPG gauge” actually hit 10.4. Again, no wind to make a significant difference. The payload listed for this truck was 3700 and some change. I’m able to throw some extra firewood in the bed, and the “try to think of every contingency” extra fuel cans strapped down. Off topic, I’m designing a custom fuel tank and tool box that will fit in the bed (with the 5th wheel hitch).

My Opinion
The 6.4l Hemi is a very capable platform to pull RVs (or other trailers) around/under the 9-10k area. (Our last RV was at approx 7k, loaded down. We averaged 8.9 - 9.3 MPG). The Hemi still managed to hit that screaming 1st or lugging 2nd a few times, but nothing like pulling the 5vr. If your pulling on mostly flat, with a few rolling hills thrown in, that Hemi is more than capable. Metallica is awesome at 5500RPM! Ha! Seriously, I would have liked to pull this 5vr with the new 8 speed. I feel my narrative would have more substance, however after reading all the posts on the positives and negatives, I wanted to share my experience.
The 6.7, pulling that 5vr, scored higher all around. Up here in Alaska, diesel is actually cheaper than gasoline (by 10-20 cents in some areas). The Hemi, “bob-tailing” along the same route got 16-18 MPG. I haven’t taken the 6.7 on the same route, but around Fairbanks (not an overly large city) I’m getting on average 2-3 more MPG 17-19 vs Hemi at 14-16. We took a trip to Anchorage and scored 21 MPG on the highway with the 6.7. Yes, a diesel is more expensive to maintain, but I think this “offsets” give the increased MPG and the lower than gasoline prices here in Alaska.

My main goal was to give my opinion. We all have our reason(s) for purchasing either platform that fits our particular needs at the time. Both have their plus and minuses, from Maintenance to Capabilities. Buy the RAM you want, and enjoy!!

Peace to all!

Firebird

Reaction score
Nice review. I had the 6.4 with the 8 speed, and it was substantially better than my 2018 Hemi with the 6 speed! That being said, my 2021 Cummins dually is light years ahead of anything I’ve owned to date in the world of towing.

HD Eddie

Reaction score
Nice review. I had the 6.4 with the 8 speed, and it was substantially better than my 2018 Hemi with the 6 speed! That being said, my 2021 Cummins dually is light years ahead of anything I’ve owned to date in the world of towing.
Thanks! The only way I will give up my Cummins is by prying my cold dead hands off the steering wheel!

Users who are viewing this thread