Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow rating confusion- what can I tow

Sapper-8

Reaction score
Depending on how the trailer is loaded but mostly “yes” it will effect your payload. Typically, As the trailer gets heavier, the tongue weight gets heavier.

You can shift the load on (or in) the trailer to adjust tongue weight a little. For example my 18’ car hauler i can move the towed vehicle forward or backward on the trailer to add or subtract tongue weight.

Tongue weight is “hitch weight” and that is part of the payload.
Thank you for the information!

Sapper-8

Reaction score
Okay, here are the numbers I have
GVWR - 10000
Max Payload - 2092
Max Towing - 20072
GCWR - 27980
GVWR - Max Payload = Curb weight. 10000 - 2092= 7908 curb weight

personnel in truck would be myself, wife, and 2 kids - total weight = 500
Maybe a cooler - 50lbs and I guess the equalizer hitch I would need for the trailer

my truck is the 2500 ram laramie 6.7 diesel, 4x4, 6..4 bed, 3.73 gear

my question is, would I be in the correct safety standards if I wanted to tow a travel trailer. Grand Design 312bhts, here are the specs from the Grand Design website,
UVW - 9291
GVWR - 11295
Hitch Weight - 995

I guess the part I really don’t understand is if I put weight in the trailer, does this affect the max payload as well or can this weight be placed in trailer to take the weight off the payload? Hopefully, you can understand what I am asking.
I have another question concerning the percent you use for hitch weight. What is the determining factor on using 10, 11, 12,....15 percent in the formula?
Thanks!

Frank

Reaction score
I have another question concerning the percent you use for hitch weight. What is the determining factor on using 10, 11, 12,....15 percent in the formula?
Thanks!
The determining factor is make the numbers say what you want to support whichever side of the weight police you are on.

It's just an estimate to account for how much dry hitch weight will increase. If you are concerned use the scales. Depends on the trailer and what you load. Right off the bat you've got 250 lbs for a battery, propane tanks, and WDH. Then you've got all the stuff in the trailer that is some combination of axle and tongue. All my storage is in front as well as the master where I added 100 lbs hybrid mattress so my tongue weight will skew higher than normal.

Lary0071

Reaction score
I shot a little high.... But:
"We have a 2019 312BH, too. Tongue weight with dealer installed battery, two full propane bottles and 1/4 tank of fresh water was 1230 lbs. That did not include any gear. At a Cat Scale, loaded for a typical 1-week trip with 1/3 fresh H2O but empty gray and black tanks, tongue weight was ~1420 lbs."

Sapper-8

Reaction score
I would like to thank all who replied to my first post. Being a newbie to towing an RV, I want to try and tow as safe as I can. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread