Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow rating confusion- what can I tow

Sapper-8

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to towing and have some confusion with all of the numbers. Could someone break it down to where I could better understand?

2021 Ram Laramie Diesel 4x4, 6.7 I6, 6.4 bed

My question, payload capacity of my truck is 2092, sticker on inside of drivers door. GVWR 10000, I am not sure of the curb weight or GCVWR of my vehicle. I have looked on all of the websites using my vin, but was able to find the information. I am not sure about what is included in the payload capacity? I thought I read somewhere it was only vehicle with fluids topped off.

I am trying to figure out if I could tow an RV safely with out going over payload or anything other than payload.

There are 4 of us in the family weighing 502 lbs, with about 100 lbs of cargo in truck bed and I have a equalizer hitch for towing.
Trailer information is UVW - 9291lbs. GVWR - 11295lbs

Any help or information would be appreciated

thank you!

Sapper-8

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to towing and have some confusion with all of the numbers. Could someone break it down to where I could better understand?

2021 Ram Laramie Diesel 4x4, 6.7 I6, 6.4 bed

My question, payload capacity of my truck is 2092, sticker on inside of drivers door. GVWR 10000, I am not sure of the curb weight or GCVWR of my vehicle. I have looked on all of the websites using my vin, but was able to find the information. I am not sure about what is included in the payload capacity? I thought I read somewhere it was only vehicle with fluids topped off.

I am trying to figure out if I could tow an RV safely with out going over payload or anything other than payload.

There are 4 of us in the family weighing 502 lbs, with about 100 lbs of cargo in truck bed and I have a equalizer hitch for towing.
Trailer information is UVW - 9291lbs. GVWR - 11295lbs

Any help or information would be appreciated

thank you!
Trailer has a hitch weight of 995 lbs

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I am stubborn and I pull whatever I hook onto. I am undertrucked, at the moment, but have accounted for it to some degree. within towing limit but over GVWR. GCW for me is 24500 My age makes me do this....in the old days, you just tagged the vehicle for weight you planned on.

rossagge

Reaction score
From what you stated, you'll be well under. I don't know the exact number, but your vehicle weights roughly 8100k lbs. You can take it to get weighed at the scales if you really need to know. Ram's site will give you an accurate payload and towing rating, but that's about it. Like Bozo stated, you'll barely even know it's back there. Plus you'll have 561 lbs of payload to spare.

Last edited:

Pronto

Reaction score
Sticker max payload is your GVWR minus your curb weight. Curb weight for the sake of calculating the sticker rating includes full fuel but not driver, passengers, cargo, or anything that wasn't included from the factory. Tongue weight counts as payload. So in your case above, your payload would be 502 + 100 + 995 = 1597 lbs. With your max payload of 2092, you could still add 495 lbs of payload and still not exceed your 10k GVWR unless you have some other unaccounted weight on your truck.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Sticker max payload is your GVWR minus your curb weight. Curb weight for the sake of calculating the sticker rating includes full fuel but not driver, passengers, cargo, or anything that wasn't included from the factory. Tongue weight counts against payload. So in your case above, your payload would be 502 + 100 + 995 = 1597 lbs. With your max payload of 2092, you could still add 495 lbs and still not exceed your 10k GVWR unless you have some other unaccounted weight on your truck.
Curb weight also includes the driver at a weight of 150lbs

Pronto

Reaction score
Payload is going to be his limiting factor so it really doesn't matter how high his max tow rating is.

Nick

Reaction score
I hauled a 14k 5th for 6 yrs with the same setup. Don't waste another moment worrying about it ,you are way under. Go camping !

Frank

Reaction score
995 sounds light for that trailer. I am at 6,100 lbs dry weight and am easily over 850 lbs tongue weight before hitch. Regardless, same truck, pulls like a dream.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Your GCWR and max tow should be the same as the 2500 4x4 mega diesel.

1619582998385.png

10% of your trailer's max GVWR is 1,130. 15% is 1895. You'll be somewhere between those two numbers. Split the difference and you're right around your payload.

Now, remember some of that weight transfers to the trailer axles with a properly setup WDH.

You will never exceed the rear axle capacity with a bumper pull.

Dial in the EQ WDH and go camping. If it sags a little, add the Airlift Loadlifter 5000 air springs.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Curb weight also includes the driver at a weight of 150lbs

Payload includes 150 pounds for the driver and all fluids including a full tank of fuel.
Where are you guys getting this? I stopped getting into this conversation on another site.

Base weight is an empty truck with full fluids.

Payload is everything added to the truck.

There is no 150lb allowance for payload.

When doing the max trailering figure...which is currently just GCWR minus Base weight...they give 300lbs for driver and passenger( used to be 150lb driver) 100lbs for options and 75 for conventional hitch 70 for gooseneck and 250 for 5th wheel.

There is no allowance when talking payload. The drivers full weight is part of payload.

There is no 150lb allowance anymore.

The 150lb driver in payload is a ford thing

Sapper-8

Reaction score
Where are you guys getting this? I stopped getting into this conversation on another site.

Base weight is an empty truck with full fluids.

Payload is everything added to the truck.

There is no 150lb allowance for payload.

When doing the max trailering figure...which is currently just GCWR minus Base weight...they give 300lbs for driver and passenger( used to be 150lb driver) 100lbs for options and 75 for conventional hitch 70 for gooseneck and 250 for 5th wheel.

There is no allowance when talking payload. The drivers full weight is part of payload.

There is no 150lb allowance anymore.

The 150lb driver in payload is a ford thing
Hi, thanks for the information. I am new to towing and am trying to make a good decision on purchasing an RV as far as towing goes. Do I need to have the curb weight for the formula.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the information. I am new to towing and am trying to make a good decision on purchasing an RV as far as towing goes. Do I need to have the curb weight for the formula.
If you own your truck...info is in your door jamb. GVWR GAWR and payload. The chart has the GCWR.

Curb weight is GVWR minus payload.

You do not have any listed info for your truck.

Stop back in with engine, rear gear ratio, cab and bed size, and Model and I will hook you up with the GCWR.

Sapper-8

Reaction score
If you own your truck...info is in your door jamb. GVWR GAWR and payload. The chart has the GCWR.

Curb weight is GVWR minus payload.

You do not have any listed info for your truck.

Stop back in with engine, rear gear ratio, cab and bed size, and Model and I will hook you up with the GCWR.
Okay, here are the numbers I have
GVWR - 10000
Max Payload - 2092
Max Towing - 20072
GCWR - 27980
GVWR - Max Payload = Curb weight. 10000 - 2092= 7908 curb weight

personnel in truck would be myself, wife, and 2 kids - total weight = 500
Maybe a cooler - 50lbs and I guess the equalizer hitch I would need for the trailer

my truck is the 2500 ram laramie 6.7 diesel, 4x4, 6..4 bed, 3.73 gear

my question is, would I be in the correct safety standards if I wanted to tow a travel trailer. Grand Design 312bhts, here are the specs from the Grand Design website,
UVW - 9291
GVWR - 11295
Hitch Weight - 995

I guess the part I really don’t understand is if I put weight in the trailer, does this affect the max payload as well or can this weight be placed in trailer to take the weight off the payload? Hopefully, you can understand what I am asking.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I guess the part I really don’t understand is if I put weight in the trailer, does this affect the max payload as well or can this weight be placed in trailer to take the weight off the payload? Hopefully, you can understand what I am asking.
Depending on how the trailer is loaded but mostly “yes” it will effect your payload. Typically, As the trailer gets heavier, the tongue weight gets heavier.

You can shift the load on (or in) the trailer to adjust tongue weight a little. For example my 18’ car hauler i can move the towed vehicle forward or backward on the trailer to add or subtract tongue weight.

Tongue weight is “hitch weight” and that is part of the payload.

Users who are viewing this thread