Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow Mode Camera install height

mountainears

Reaction score
I have the tow mode camera, no instructions (don’t need much, it’s simple). The one question I have is do the recommend a certain height? My horse trailer has split upper doors and a ramp, so my mounting option really is going to be at the top of the trailer and I’m wondering if that will be a strange high angle for the camera (will still be better than nothing I think). Similar question with being off center. I also have the 360 trailer cam system and may mount up both, putting one camera on either side of the third brake light. Still debating on the 360 install though, cameras would not all be at the same height, back one maybe 6” higher due to fiberglass curved roof.

63ec6f9f4535739b3056184453967709.jpg

eded7f65b9168a6f68725b60cefd14c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
I have mine on a toy hauler with a 8’ ramp. Rather than route mine to the roof like you’re thinking, I ran mine under the ramp. The low angle is fine for me, but if I had the option I’d run it higher. I think at the top will be fine. The camera auto angles down when in reverse, and you can adjust it a little bit as well to dial it in. With it high you’ll be better off than I am for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jebruns

Reaction score
I put mine at the top of my enclosed trailer, above the "barn doors" and off center on the right side. Works great. I think that is the ideal height.

buzzuti

Reaction score
Currently, I placed mine high. Just below the roof line of my Arctic Fox 1150.
It is probably around the 12" mark.

From experience, I plan on lowering it as the lens is not wide angle enough.
The angle is too steep, looking down, and I lack that rear view distance .

Your trailer, however, looks like maybe 8-9'?

I would recommend placing it high to test, and adjust from there.
My guess is that 3' less than mine would probably be decent for you.

You can also control things a little from the rear view mirror settings as well, in case you were not aware of those settings :)

324nemt

Reaction score
Mine was installed above the ramp door on a Grand Design 25G Momentum. Ran cable across to steps and down, then underneath to the front. Seems to work great so far. As stated before, the camera will pan down when put in reverse and you have some camera control with the rear-view mirror. It took a little adjusting to get it just right and It is nice being able to see what's coming up behind me as I go down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread