Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow/Haul Mode Question

RAM-Ewad

Reaction score
I've got a 2022 Ram 2500HD with a 6.4 Hemi , 6.4 bed and 6-speed tranny. Mileage is 13,700. Does anyone have experience or insight for using the tow/haul mode when driving in a city with slow speed limits to avoid the downgrade to ECO mode? I'm not liking the ECO shuttering and low RPM's until it shifts back to all 8. TIA

79 300

Reaction score
I have used tow/haul in towns and cities, especially in hilly areas. The major benefit in my case
was the engine braking effect going downhill. One road I commuted on daily had a 1 mile long hill coming off a mountain.
It seemed better going uphill as well, much less hunting for the right gear in a 35 MPH speed zone.

Pitboss44

Reaction score
You have a 22 hemi paired with a 6 speed? You sure about that? Mds can be disabled by entering ers mode with the gear limit controls on the wheel. Keeps it out of eco but won’t hold gears as long as tow/haul.

phatboy64

Reaction score
Slightly different spin but is it bad to keep it in Tow/Haul mode around town with a HO CTD?

DWEL

Reaction score
Your 2022 has an 8 speed tranny. I have not noticed any shuttering on mine on entering eco mode, matter of fact I don't ever even notice when it kicks in to eco mode. Mine has been seamless.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Slightly different spin but is it bad to keep it in Tow/Haul mode around town with a HO CTD?

Bad, no… but it will burn more fuel. I get about 1 mpg less on my 15 mile rural commute with TH on.

I’ll push it one for certain around town circumstances, but then turn it off to get into higher gears when I don’t want to be in lower gears. I’ll rarely use it for deceleration empty as I find it too aggressive with the EB and no weight.

I do the same thing for certain mountain driving conditions empty as TH will adapt better to rolling hills and curves.

Last edited:

phatboy64

Reaction score
Thanks. I have this one section of town that has a few gradually uphills that when there is traffic it puts me at the bottom of a gear.

RAM-Ewad

Reaction score
I've got a 2022 Ram 2500HD with a 6.4 Hemi , 6.4 bed and 6-speed tranny. Mileage is 13,700. Does anyone have experience or insight for using the tow/haul mode when driving in a city with slow speed limits to avoid the downgrade to ECO mode? I'm not liking the ECO shuttering and low RPM's until it shifts back to all 8. TIA
Corrrection: The Tranny is 8-Speed Automatic 8HP75-LCV

RAM-Ewad

Reaction score
You have a 22 hemi paired with a 6 speed? You sure about that? Mds can be disabled by entering ers mode with the gear limit controls on the wheel. Keeps it out of eco but won’t hold gears as long as tow/haul.
My Bad -- 8-Speed Automatic 8HP75-LCV

RAM-Ewad

Reaction score
Your 2022 has an 8 speed tranny. I have not noticed any shuttering on mine on entering eco mode, matter of fact I don't ever even notice when it kicks in to eco mode. Mine has been seamless.
Thanks, shutter is likely the wrong term, the transitiion from ECO to all 8 is smooth, It seems like the engine is "lugging" and "laboring" at slow speeds in ECO. Does using tow/haul affect the transmission when used without a tow load?

jsalbre

Reaction score
Thanks, shutter is likely the wrong term, the transitiion from ECO to all 8 is smooth, It seems like the engine is "lugging" and "laboring" at slow speeds in ECO. Does using tow/haul affect the transmission when used without a tow load?
It just sounds different because it’s running on 4 cylinders. It’s certainly not laboring, which is the reason it’s dropping to 4 cyl (“Eco”) mode in the first place.

CFE

Reaction score
First thing I do in my CTD HO is flip the engine brake and T/H switches to on, unless I'm on the highway.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Bad, no… but it will burn more fuel. I get about 1 mpg less on my 15 mile rural commute with TH on.

I’ll push it one for certain around town circumstances, but then turn it off to get into higher gears when I don’t want to be in lower gears. I’ll rarely use it for deceleration empty as I find it too aggressive with the EB and no weight.

I do the same thing for certain mountain driving conditions empty as TH will adapt better to rolling hills and curves.
Even pulling a 22K fifth wheel, that exhaust brake is agressive in tow/haul as you are coming to a stop. Pretty impressive. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread