Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tough Choice, new to RAM.

phillipharp

Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post. I am coming over to RAM from Sierra. I was not unhappy with the Sierra, but my last three had been basically the same truck. I am also going from a half ton to a 3/4 ton. After a lot of research I want to give RAM a try. Here is my dilemma. Any advice is much appreciated!

Truck 1- Has the 12" screen which I like, but it only has the 9 Speaker Alpine Stereo. I have not heard this stereo in person, but the 17 Speaker system blew me away. I don't have a lot of technical knowledge about audio, but I know that I was disappointed with the Bose in my Sierra (Was nice, but for the upgrade cost/name I expected more). I am thinking I will feel about the same way about the Alpine system as I did the Bose. Also has the midnight package which for me is the look I want. Also has the surround camera and other things better for towing (BBQ Trailer).

Truck 2- Has the upgraded audio (Laramie Level B) and the big screen. It does not have the upgraded towing features or the surround camera. It also does not have the midnight package. It has the sport package, but to me that almost looks like a mix of chrome and color...even though I am not a fan of chrome I think i would rather it have the chrome package than pieces of both.

Truck 1 and Truck 2 are the same price.

Truck 3- Custom order from Laura Auto Group. They are having a great deal on ordering through them right now. I could get every bell and whistle on the Laramie and come in $1k more than truck one or two, but I have no idea how long the wait would be.

Should I pull the trigger on Truck 1 and live with the Alpine system (I am not an afermarket upgrade guy, if I go that route I won't be looking to upgrade any speakers or anything). Should I go with Truck 2 and possibly keep an eye out to swap wheels/running boards at some point and just live the remaining chrome?
Should I get exactly what I want at a fair price by ordering Truck 3?

Thanks for listening to me ramble. I have not been excited about a new truck in a while and I don't want to make bad decision just because of how crazy everything is!

snlsmith

Reaction score
If you aren't in a hurry or huge need right now, go with Option 3 and get what you want. Also, if you read around on here, there are only a few dealers that can beat Mark Dodge in Louisiana. Call them up, send them your spec sheet and get a price. Not sure where you are, but may save enough to make it worth the drive. I wish I had known about them before I ordered.

phillipharp

Reaction score
Awesome, and thank you for your service. I just messaged and asked to speak to someone in sales about doing a custom order, so I will see what they say. Laura is doing $6,000 off MSRP on custom ordered Laramie 2500's which I thought was pretty good. Everywhere local to me is marking them up, so I don't mind driving.

Reaction score
are you looking at used or new on the first 2 trucks? if used i have a nice 2019 ram 2500 cc lb 4x4 sport granite crystal with 12" laramie level 2 17speaker etc

Reach out to Sandi @ Samrith@markdodge.net my truck price ordered thru them is Msrp $92870.00 my price $79135.00 plus $444.00 doc temp tag, notary fee. $1000.00 down to order when I ordered.

phillipharp

Reaction score
are you looking at used or new on the first 2 trucks? if used i have a nice 2019 ram 2500 cc lb 4x4 sport granite crystal with 12" laramie level 2 17speaker etc

Reach out to Sandi @ Samrith@markdodge.net my truck price ordered thru them is Msrp $92870.00 my price $79135.00 plus $444.00 doc temp tag, notary fee. $1000.00 down to order when I ordered.
Thanks for the info. I am mainly looking at new, but I will keep yours in mind! Just got off the phone with Mark Dodge, they are pricing out my build sheet for me. I am glad I joined this forum!

mcarey

Reaction score
Awesome, and thank you for your service. I just messaged and asked to speak to someone in sales about doing a custom order, so I will see what they say. Laura is doing $6,000 off MSRP on custom ordered Laramie 2500's which I thought was pretty good. Everywhere local to me is marking them up, so I don't mind driving.
Mark Dodge should do better than that, depending on MSRP price. You should get a quote somewhere between like, 13-15% off MSRP. You can do the math backwards to see where 6K falls.

Ickabod

Reaction score
If it is between truck 1 and 2, I would go with the truck 1. You will not miss the upgraded sound system. The Alpine is a good system and you can easily upgrade the speakers if you find them limited. I replaced the front corner speakers to produce a crisper sound up front.
The best option would be to order exactly what you want. There are several dealers on this forum that offer 4%-5% off invoice. This equated to a little over $8K off MSRP off my truck.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I am mainly looking at new, but I will keep yours in mind! Just got off the phone with Mark Dodge, they are pricing out my build sheet for me. I am glad I joined this forum!
If you’re looking at the Laura Auto group, I assume you’re near St. Louis. I’m also in the area and opted for Mark Dodge, I saved about 9k off MSRP on my Laramie.

Best auto buying experience I’ve had.

phillipharp

Reaction score
Lots of good info in here. I am glad I found this group! I was literally able to get every single option that I wanted going with Mark Dodge. Came back with 11% of MSRP which I was very happy with. Looking forward to having a new truck to learn!

cobracnvt

Reaction score
I have 21 2500 with the base 8.4" radio with Car Play. It's a level below Alpine and the speakers and overall sound were not very good. I believe the Alpine system adds an external Amp to the radio to drive these speakers.

A crutchfield speaker order for about $300 and a couple of hours swapping out 6 speakers (dash, front and rear doors) made a tremendous improvement. It needs a subwoofer and an external amplifier, but I'm very good for now with what I have.

I swapped the 3 1/2" dash speaker first and it made a tremendous improvement over the stock speakers. They were $99. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R3032CM/Infinity-Reference-REF-3032cfx.html

Are there any Ram dealers giving good deals more towards the North East US?

gimmie11s

Reaction score
The factory Alpine system is pretty good--many on this forum like it and some have said they prefer it over the HK system--that seems like a stretch to me, but ive never heard the HK.

If you swap out the dash speakers on the Alpine, it becomes even better.

G’Dave

Reaction score
If you’re looking at the Laura Auto group, I assume you’re near St. Louis. I’m also in the area and opted for Mark Dodge, I saved about 9k off MSRP on my Laramie.

Best auto buying experience I’ve had.

I did the same. I live in St Louis and went with MD.
However, I probably would have purchased from Zach at Granger in Iowa if I had known about him. Similar pricing, and 350 miles away instead of 700 from STL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Also a lifelong GM guy I'm just coming off of 4 straight Bose systems and the '22 Alpine is not a compromise at all in my book. The later Bose systems were better than my first in 2007 but I'm liking the Alpine just fine so far. For what I saw the HK costs, I personally wouldn't spend the money for it.

I just received an ordered truck in 4 months but there's no rhyme nor reason to the leadtime. Some guys have been waiting much longer. I suppose if you can wait it out go for it but with the '22/'23 changeover coming soon I'd say it's likely you could get caught up in that, further extending your wait. With the order deal you get what you want at a good price with the right dealer, it's just about the wait. Also not sure if you're trading something in but that can be another battle on a new order. And another thing, there's a thread somewhere about all the options that aren't available and/or causing undue delays. You might check that out. Parts shortages seem to be hanging on apparently with no end in sight.

phillipharp

Reaction score
Also a lifelong GM guy I'm just coming off of 4 straight Bose systems and the '22 Alpine is not a compromise at all in my book. The later Bose systems were better than my first in 2007 but I'm liking the Alpine just fine so far. For what I saw the HK costs, I personally wouldn't spend the money for it.

I just received an ordered truck in 4 months but there's no rhyme nor reason to the leadtime. Some guys have been waiting much longer. I suppose if you can wait it out go for it but with the '22/'23 changeover coming soon I'd say it's likely you could get caught up in that, further extending your wait. With the order deal you get what you want at a good price with the right dealer, it's just about the wait. Also not sure if you're trading something in but that can be another battle on a new order. And another thing, there's a thread somewhere about all the options that aren't available and/or causing undue delays. You might check that out. Parts shortages seem to be hanging on apparently with no end in sight.
Thanks for the info. I will try to find that thread!

CdnHO

Reaction score
Unless you need to have truck NOW, then go with option 3. Waiting is hard but you will be driving it a long time and you will not regret the wait.

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
Go with option 4:
Look US- wide, find the right truck and do a nice road trip in a brand new vehicle. Its a once in a lifetime experience.
Did it several time and it was always a lot of fun.

jetrinka

Reaction score

I agree. I have the HK and while it’s nice it certainly doesn’t blow my socks off

Users who are viewing this thread