Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Torn Between PW Hemi and Laramie Diesel

SgnDen

Reaction score
My uses:
Typical DD stuff
Highway to reach off-road destinations (200 - 1000 miles) 3-4x/year
Road trips of 1500- 4000 miles round trip 2x/year
No towing for the foreseeable future - possible in a few years
Hauling <1,000 lbs

Bang for the Buck - The Power Wagon equipped as I'd like is $6K LESS than the Laramie w/ SO Cummins. Used market is whacked right now, but even 2-year old PW's are selling for only a few grand less than what I can buy new for. Same with the diesels. These both seem like good values for the money...just different of course.

Handling on the highway - How does the PW do on long periods on the slab? It felt a little "floaty" to me vs the much heavier Cummins as I'd expect. Is it just me or does the PW wander a touch?

Trading-up - I hate to let this factor-in, but wondering if I buy the PW for now as it's ready to go overland if or when I decide to go more and trade it for the Diesel when they update the interiors. Save money and when they upgrade the interiors, go get me "forever" truck (yeah, I say that every time). I'd need to spend some scratch to get a Laramie set for off road journeys.

I wouldn't mind saving some money right now and I can tinker with a Hemi no problem vs the diesel where I have no real hands-on experience working on them.

Any of you that may have gone through this sot of comparison and ended-up with the Power Wagon, are you glad you went that way?

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I didnt go with the Laramie, but I do similar traveling as you. 3 to 6 or 7 trips a year, lots of winter time fun and plenty of summer rounds of golf in colorado, from Texas. i do tow more ofen than it sounds like you do. pre covid I used mine for my 40 mile round trip commute, get groceries, take the boys to golf practice and tourneys, farm work, etc... it is a do all vehicle and my 2500 6.7 has been fantastic.

SgnDen

Reaction score
I didnt go with the Laramie, but I do similar traveling as you. 3 to 6 or 7 trips a year, lots of winter time fun and plenty of summer rounds of golf in colorado, from Texas. i do tow more ofen than it sounds like you do. pre covid I used mine for my 40 mile round trip commute, get groceries, take the boys to golf practice and tourneys, farm work, etc... it is a do all vehicle and my 2500 6.7 has been fantastic.
Thanks for that, Elephant rider. It helps to have some more perspective. I guess the bottom line for me is that I will use across a wide range of purposes. The diesel is overkill for sure but the Power Wagon, while cool looking, would be maxed pretty quick with payload.

RPS1030

Reaction score
I had a 16 Tradesman PW from new. Absolutely loved it. Got it cause it was just a little more than a Hemi Tradesman with some goodies, less than a Big Horn Hemi, but already had the offroad stuff, so I had a delay until I'd modify it.

Ended up with the full Thuren catalog thrown at it. King 3.0/2.5, swaybar, bumper, trackbars, etc. 37x12.5 RTs on stock wheels, then XD wheels. Had a bedrack built for the RTT. And lots of other things. Eventually regeared, but ran stock 4.10s for a long time. Air bags w/ Daystar Cradles took away any sag. Rear Trackbar and big shocks took away the wiggle. Was very stable and did lots of highway trips in complete confidence.

Did great towing single vehicles or bed full of camping gear. Did really good with the camper when regeared, just sucked the fuel down and temps got warm by the end of the day.

Went to a 19 Laramie SO earlier this year to get the nicer interior and hopefully more range with the camper. I've regretted it constantly. Never took the camper out again and sold it a couple weeks ago. Fuel MPGs are only up 1-2 under similar circumstances compared to the 6.4/6sp on 37s. Did more Thuren stuff (coils and Fox 2.0s) with the swaybar as well. Have the Kings sitting on the shelf and still debating before revalving them for the different weights.

I'm debating between committing to keeping the diesel despite only towing the Jeep on the flatbed going forward most likely. Certainly not buying another camper, so staying well within the Hemi's towing capacity. So not sure if it'll be another PW in Level 2 (Laramie level interior) or a Hemi Laramie Megacab.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So you basically answered your own question you have no need for a diesel plus the lighter hemi is better for off road

RPS1030

Reaction score
4th Gen PW on 37x12.5 w/ 4.10s:
City 10-11
Highway 12-13
Towing open trailer w/ single vehicle 9-10

PW on 37x12.5 w/ 5.13s:
City 11-12
Highway 12-13
Towing open trailer w/ single vehicle 9-10
Towing 22' 7k camper 7-9

5th Gen 2500 SO on 35x11.5 w/ 3.73s:
City 12-13
Highway 15-16
Towing open trailer w/ single vehicle 10
Test tow w/ camper 9-10

SgnDen

Reaction score
I had a 16 Tradesman PW from new. Absolutely loved it. Got it cause it was just a little more than a Hemi Tradesman with some goodies, less than a Big Horn Hemi, but already had the offroad stuff, so I had a delay until I'd modify it.

Ended up with the full Thuren catalog thrown at it. King 3.0/2.5, swaybar, bumper, trackbars, etc. 37x12.5 RTs on stock wheels, then XD wheels. Had a bedrack built for the RTT. And lots of other things. Eventually regeared, but ran stock 4.10s for a long time. Air bags w/ Daystar Cradles took away any sag. Rear Trackbar and big shocks took away the wiggle. Was very stable and did lots of highway trips in complete confidence.

Did great towing single vehicles or bed full of camping gear. Did really good with the camper when regeared, just sucked the fuel down and temps got warm by the end of the day.

Went to a 19 Laramie SO earlier this year to get the nicer interior and hopefully more range with the camper. I've regretted it constantly. Never took the camper out again and sold it a couple weeks ago. Fuel MPGs are only up 1-2 under similar circumstances compared to the 6.4/6sp on 37s. Did more Thuren stuff (coils and Fox 2.0s) with the swaybar as well. Have the Kings sitting on the shelf and still debating before revalving them for the different weights.

I'm debating between committing to keeping the diesel despite only towing the Jeep on the flatbed going forward most likely. Certainly not buying another camper, so staying well within the Hemi's towing capacity. So not sure if it'll be another PW in Level 2 (Laramie level interior) or a Hemi Laramie Megacab.
Sounds nice. Glad to hear it was stable with your upgrades. I think a lot about what could be done with that V8 to get a bit more power and, of course, it sounds great.

MikeXM

Reaction score
If you are not pulling, don't get the diesel. The HEMI is a great motor too. Way more responsive for DD. I had one before this diesel and it was a very good DD.

jadmt

Reaction score

let this make up your mind.

Attachments

• F2D74880-6CAD-4EF2-8E2D-F61C449511CD_1_201_a.jpeg
    F2D74880-6CAD-4EF2-8E2D-F61C449511CD_1_201_a.jpeg
    548.7 KB · Views: 33

SgnDen

Reaction score

let this make up your mind.
Yeah! However, I am DYING to see the "Anvil" color. I don't trust the publicity beauty shots as the lighting is very engineered. Can't really tell what it actually looks like. It is looks GREAT in the PR photos but I'd like to see a pic in the wild.

Buppies

Reaction score
Diehard diesel man since 1999 it diesel showed its prowess today 12500 pound skid loader, 72 in broom 1500 pounds, 3800 pound tilt trailer pulled like a champ stopped very well. Will be a diesel lover till I’m six feet under

Reaction score
I just went from a 2016 2500 6.4 hemi bighorn to a 2020 3500 diesel Laramie longhorn. I’d never go back to a gas motor for anything. The 6.4 was reliable and the new trans is 10x better than the 65rfe. Both have/had 37s. Fuel mileage on the 2016 was usually around 12 unloaded, and I get around 19-20 on highway trips with the new diesel. I considered a new 6.4 and even a 7.3 Ford gasser but they feel underpowered compared to a diesel. I put roughly 40-50k miles a year on my trucks so the diesels “longevity“ makes me feel better about running the hell out of it on a daily basis.

jadmt

Reaction score
Yeah! However, I am DYING to see the "Anvil" color. I don't trust the publicity beauty shots as the lighting is very engineered. Can't really tell what it actually looks like. It is looks GREAT in the PR photos but I'd like to see a pic in the wild.
Anvil has been used on Jeeps and is a decent color but I have two buddies that had anvil wranglers and after a while they lost their pizzaz. Might be different on the ram being much bigger tho.

SgnDen

Reaction score
Anvil has been used on Jeeps and is a decent color but I have two buddies that had anvil wranglers and after a while they lost their pizzaz. Might be different on the ram being much bigger tho.
Thanks. I found plenty of pictures once I was aware that it is a recycled color. I can definitely see how it would get old.

Users who are viewing this thread