Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tool Box Recommendation

E-Rod

Reaction score
I'm Interested in getting a Tool-Box. Do they make some that slide back and forth? If it were to slide, it would make a great seat to face forward for people seated in the bed while driving around
Decked?
Weatherguard?
Highway Products?
Thank you for your input - attach photos if you'd like to show them off.

-E-Rod

G’Dave

Reaction score
Mopar makes this one for our trucks. It slides back and forth over the wheel wells.

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 10.11.36 AM.png

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
There are so many requirements or options for boxes I'd need to know before suggesting...mine for example....I have a long bed...didn't want one that went to the bed floor so I could scoot plywood or drywall up underneath it.... couldn't be too tall or wide so I could still see my GN ball when backing up to trailer....I got a camlocker low profile 20" wide box with the standard depth...I like it alot...I really wanted the highway products gullwing box....at 7" tall above the rails and 23" wide I wouldn't be able to see my GN ball....so with all that in mind do you use your bed for towing or anything else that might limit what box you get?

E-Rod

Reaction score
There are so many requirements or options for boxes I'd need to know before suggesting...mine for example....I have a long bed...didn't want one that went to the bed floor so I could scoot plywood or drywall up underneath it.... couldn't be too tall or wide so I could still see my GN ball when backing up to trailer....I got a camlocker low profile 20" wide box with the standard depth...I like it alot...I really wanted the highway products gullwing box....at 7" tall above the rails and 23" wide I wouldn't be able to see my GN ball....so with all that in mind do you use your bed for towing or anything else that might limit what box you get?
Good thinking! I do have a gooseneck hitch...and I do not want interference with the cameras. I do not use if for construction purposes. Mainly external storage for firearms and hunting accessories while traveling...and a few essential tools.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Good thinking! I do have a gooseneck hitch...and I do not want interference with the cameras. I do not use if for construction purposes. Mainly external storage for firearms and hunting accessories while traveling...and a few essential tools.
Grab a 2x4 and place it across your bed rails and move it until you can't see your ball...that'll tell you the width you need...if you have an 8ft bed it's 20" wide and about 3" tall....

Last edited:

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Here's my camlocker....they make a deeper one if you don't mind losing the space beneath it...

Attachments

• 39612.jpeg
    39612.jpeg
    630.7 KB · Views: 64

G’Dave

Reaction score
I'm going to start hunting for one that is full depth, but also low profile. I want it to tuck under a soft tonneau. My ordered truck will have an 8 foot bed, and I don't need the extra space under the box.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
I'm going to start hunting for one that is full depth, but also low profile. I want it to tuck under a soft tonneau. My ordered truck will have an 8 foot bed, and I don't need the extra space under the box.
Here is the low profile deep version.....

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
All I can say is: I used to be a UWS snob but, in my experience, their quality has gone to absolute dog water and I’ll never consider them again for any product. Ever.

G’Dave

Reaction score
Here is the low profile deep version.....

Oh boy - this one is kind of spendy. It also doesn’t quite meet my requirements. And is the quality has gone down the toilet, than it’s even more painful.

I want to be able to hide it under a soft roll up tonneau. The reason for getting a truck with an 8 foot bed is so I can put two full size dirt bikes in the back and close the tail gate.
I don’t need the space under the box for drywall etc. I’d rather have a full depth box to store 5 gallon gas cans, tools, and spares.

I might end up needing to fabricate it myself, but will keep searching for now. I don’t expect to get the truck for another 2-3 months yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Oh boy - this one is kind of spendy. It also doesn’t quite meet my requirements. And is the quality has gone down the toilet, than it’s even more painful.

I want to be able to hide it under a soft roll up tonneau. The reason for getting a truck with an 8 foot bed is so I can put two full size dirt bikes in the back and close the tail gate.
I don’t need the space under the box for drywall etc. I’d rather have a full depth box to store 5 gallon gas cans, tools, and spares.

I might end up needing to fabricate it myself, but will keep searching for now. I don’t expect to get the truck for another 2-3 months yet.

Rock crawler was talking about UWS box quality....not camlocker....you might be looking more for a 5th wheel type toolbox that doesn't sit on the rails but down in the bed....

Highcountry

Reaction score
I run a Protech cross bed box, but they make all types and I'm pretty sure you can order them to your dimensions. https://protech.net/ This one is over 20 years old and cleaned up nice with a weekend of polishing. I ran it on my '89 F250 and was pleasantly surprised that the part #'s for the recommended box were the same when I got my new truck. My Dad has one of their boxes in his F350 that mounts below the rails to the bed floor and is a really nice setup.

Attachments

• InkedIMG_2377_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_2377_LI.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16

G’Dave

Reaction score
Rock crawler was talking about UWS box quality....not camlocker....you might be looking more for a 5th wheel type toolbox that doesn't sit on the rails but down in the bed....

Yes, you’re right - I was getting muddled with camlocker and UWS. ADHD lol.
Great idea regarding the 5w type. This might be the ticket. I’ll check out Protech as well.
Thanks guys!

sstoner911

Reaction score
I went with this box mostly because I have a AUX fuel tank in the front of the bed. This box allows me to still hook up to Goosenecks and 5th wheel.

Attachments

• 20220120_133532.jpg
    20220120_133532.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 36

tla90

Reaction score
I'm Interested in getting a Tool-Box. Do they make some that slide back and forth? If it were to slide, it would make a great seat to face forward for people seated in the bed while driving around
Decked?
Weatherguard?
Highway Products?
Thank you for your input - attach photos if you'd like to show them off.

-E-Rod
RKI makes the best steel toolboxes. I've had several aluminum ones over the years, and two trucks ago bought a 13yr old RKI. Repainted it, and welded some d-ring brackets on it. I used to carry around about 400lbs of tools, and it didn't bow down at all. Sold it with the truck b/c I have Ramboxes now (had to cut down on tools), but would've kept it if I could

Users who are viewing this thread