Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Regrets?

Ron045

Reaction score
I want a hard tonneau that has some of the best security and water resistant features. I have been viewing some of the hard folding and the integrated rolling covers.

I'm leaning toward the rolling covers. Does anyone regret getting that type of rolling cover where the canister takes up space in the truck bed?

Thanks.
Ron

WY3500

Reaction score
I want a hard tonneau that has some of the best security and water resistant features. I have been viewing some of the hard folding and the integrated rolling covers.

I'm leaning toward the rolling covers. Does anyone regret getting that type of rolling cover where the canister takes up space in the truck bed?

Thanks.
Ron
I have the Roll-N-Lock M series on my CCSB with Ramboxes and really like it. Big improvement over the Gator that I had on a 2014 CCSB without the Ramboxes. The M series box is definitely smaller than the Gator box. Water has been minimal when it has gotten in.

gpattikjr

Reaction score
I have the Roll-N-Lock M series on my CCSB with Ramboxes and really like it. Big improvement over the Gator that I had on a 2014 CCSB without the Ramboxes. The M series box is definitely smaller than the Gator box. Water has been minimal when it has gotten in.
Its not showing up on their website as available for ram boxes. Hmmm

WY3500

Reaction score
I should have said I have a 2019 3500 CCSB with Ramboxes. Maybe they aren't making them for newer models.

Ron045

Reaction score
It's amazing how these "manufacturer" web sites all look alike. It's almost as if they are all made by the same place and marketed with different names.

Attachments

• Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    684.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    819.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    737.6 KB · Views: 43

obhitn3

Reaction score
Its not showing up on their website as available for ram boxes. Hmmm
I emailed roll n lock and they said for whatever reason the website is not updated and the 2019-20 model is the one to order. See email screen shot attached.

Attachments

• Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 22

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Tonneau regrets? Absolutely.

I bought a gator cover for one of my trucks and regretted it the remainder of the time
I had the truck. Never again will I have any sort of tonneau cover.

Ron045

Reaction score
Tonneau regrets? Absolutely.

I bought a gator cover for one of my trucks and regretted it the remainder of the time
I had the truck. Never again will I have any sort of tonneau cover.
Can you elaborate a little more? What was bad about Gator? Why did you change your mind to No Cover again?

DougB

Reaction score
I can’t comment on the roll up type but on two different trucks I’ve had a flush, hard cover that tilted (company is long gone) and a vinyl trifold (Rugged Cover). For my usage, far and away the trifold is better when it comes to convenience. The flush hard cover was better for security and water ingress but was a PITA to get off solo. The trifold can quickly open 2/3 of the bed which works 98% of the time for me, and if I have a situation where I need the full bed then it takes only me a few minutes to loosen the latches, lift it off and store it in the garage. I’ve yet to have a need to remove the cover when out somewhere.

The trifold isn’t perfectly sealed, mostly in the corners, but if I need something to remain perfectly dry then it goes inside or gets protected other ways in the bed.

On my 2022 I am going with the Leer Latitude only because Rugged Cover doesn’t have one for this year.

Last edited:

unclelala

Reaction score
They make your bed nearly completely useless, in my opinion
maybe In your opinion but not in mine... plenty of people need one including myself. It depends what you do with the truck, I tow a fifth wheel once in a while so its good for concealing valuables when not towing and keeping things dry. My Bakflip can fold up or come right off in no time at all. Im not a "rockcrawler" or use my truck for work, I just tow a 5th wheel and need the dry storage space.

jadmt

Reaction score
They make your bed nearly completely useless, in my opinion
seems like a roll up tonneau cover leave your bed 99% usable. I have never had one but been thinking of getting one. I can see the solid one piece covers not being much good but a fold up one or a roll up one seems like they would work well.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
maybe In your opinion but not in mine... plenty of people need one including myself. It depends what you do with the truck, I tow a fifth wheel once in a while so its good for concealing valuables when not towing and keeping things dry. My Bakflip can fold up or come right off in no time at all. Im not a "rockcrawler" or use my truck for work, I just tow a 5th wheel and need the dry storage space.
You can’t tow your 5th wheel and have dry storage space at the same time with a tonneau cover. Buy some large totes.

OP asked for opinions and I posted mine. As usual, people get defensive. For some reason, people seem to need to defend their purchases lol. We already know you buy stupid stuff like stick-on aluminum finger hole door closers.

Papa_smurf

Reaction score
I had a cheap Tyger soft roll up on my gladiator and liked it a lot. Kept the bed dry and was easy to roll up out of the way when needed.

Still debating what to do with the little blue truck (2500 Mega Cab). I liked the tyger, but I'm thinking about the retrax hard roll up, just unsure if I want to put that much $ into a bed cover lol.

jadmt

Reaction score
You can’t tow your 5th wheel and have dry storage space at the same time with a tonneau cover. Buy some large totes.

OP asked for opinions and I posted mine. As usual, people get defensive. For some reason, people seem to need to defend their purchases lol. We already know you buy stupid stuff like stick-on aluminum finger hole door closers.
I never saw any defensive posts on here. simply two differing opinions but not sure how that is defensive. Like I said I don't have one but thinking of getting one and I don't understand how a roll up one makes a bed unusable. Some examples would be helpful. thanks.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Seems like the definition of “defensive” would be to defend or protect (whether from physical harm or criticism) so I think defending a product is being defensive. If I’m wrong, well, I guess I’m allowed to be wrong. This is the internet, afterall.

unclelala

Reaction score
Seems like the definition of “defensive” would be to defend or protect (whether from physical harm or criticism) so I think defending a product is being defensive. If I’m wrong, well, I guess I’m allowed to be wrong. This is the internet, afterall.
I said clearly in post 13 "for concealing valuables when not towing" which is 90 percent of the time, but its not us stirring the pot ....is it... It kills me here, if it ain't about bigger wheels, special shocks or wild hunting gear it seems it doesnt rate here and its always the same peeps who comeback with the snitty remarks but if its about ceramic coats , covers, door handles or what ever aint H.B. worthy . I dont remark on the accessories that don't appeal to me....I move on. Why would you care?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread