Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Covers

AJ BCTD2500

Reaction score
Question for the group - anyone feel strongly about a particular tonneau cover? Picked up a Peragon cover a few weeks ago and have been some water issues. I will say however the cap is really nice looking and a convenient design as well, however the water resistance is falling a little short for my needs.

I am debating on giving BAK a shot or other options I might not know about.... Anyone have experience they'd like to share? Thanks!

kobra

Reaction score
I've done a few over the years; BAK flip, Truxedo roll up, Extang folding. None of them lasted more than 2 or 3 years.

This time I just spent the money to get the Retrax Pro MX. Those who have tried way more than I have seem to stop once they have Retrax. Mine is too new to say for long term, but it has done well so far with keeping snow out and good when power washing also.

It seems very well made, so I hope it will last a lot longer than others.

B

Camper99

Reaction score
I had a Truxedo Lo Pro on a Nissan Titan that sat outside in the Colorado weather for about 9 years. The cover shrunk a bit and the velcro eventually wore out. Truxedo customer service was very helpful in replacing the whole cover for a very reasonable price (was not a manufacturer's defect).

I have had a Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit on my F150 since 2014. The PE has been a very good cover but has required a couple of adjustments over the years. No major issues. The weather stripping is starting to tear just a little bit from lots of use.

These are two very different covers. I think the Truxedo actually sealed a bit better up front. The PE can leak a bit if the weather seal is not compressed where the cover rail meets the bed rail. The PE also has a canister with drain tubes than can leak - especially when your toolbox slides into one of them and cracks the tube.

I have the rails on the PE that allow Thule foot packs to be mounted to those rails. This provides the ability to mount 5 bicycles on the rack above the bed and still close the cover.

I'll be in the market for a new cover when my ordered 3500 is delivered and will be watching this thread. I would have no issue getting either cover again as long as I can get the Thule base/rack functionality the current PE cover provides.

bdhays63

Reaction score
I’ve had a few different ones over the years. Had a Bakflip hard trifold on my 15 ram. It was ok was starting to have a puddle in the middle on top after about a year indicating it was sagging. Bought a paragon back in 2011 for a Silverado I had and was not impressed. You had to open it from the front and it was loud and clanged. Wake up the neighborhood getting something out my bed in the middle of the night. I hope they’ve updated that design since back then.

The best I’ve ever had hands down was a Lomax hard trifold by Agricover. I had it on my 19 1500 for just over two years. I just traded for my new 2500 and I plan on getting another Lomax. It’s a hard aluminum trifold. The rails are really easy to install and the cover itself can be removed completely from the truck in about 30 seconds. Super simple and effective design plus it’s super low profile. The only time I would get any water was if I pressure washed the truck and it was only a tiny amount.

Attachments

• E4D462C4-C555-46E6-958C-BEB658B6DA74.jpeg
    E4D462C4-C555-46E6-958C-BEB658B6DA74.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53

Thorvald

Reaction score
BakflipG2 on my previous 1500 and now the Bakflip MX on my new 3500. G2 was great but did freeze up in the winter against the tailgate. The MX solved this and you can close the tailgate with the cover closed. Loving it so far.

Only thing that would make it perfect is a canoe/ladder rack that is compatible with it.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
I put a Truxedo Pro X15 on my '20 2500 within a week of getting the truck. I know it's really early, however it's been in the rain a good bit, I've had to roll it up and back a bunch in order to pull the gooseneck, and I've had zero issues. Based on experience so far (and having had other older cover designs) at this point I wouldn't think twice about doing it again. It's been very good.

geektoad

Reaction score
Had over decade of great experience with Agricover Access Lorado soft covers on multiple trucks. Kept the water out , held up through new england winters, loved it.

On this truck with the long bed, I decided i wanted a hard folding cover on this one, and went with the BackFlip MX4. no complaint so far...keeps the water out too, and held up to a *very* wet snow last week. It's only 7 months old though, so time will tell.

Hstone556

Reaction score
I have a gator aluminum rollup on mine, i would go with something else if i did it again. I was being cheap, should have spent the extra for the electric retrax. This on rolls up hard, and is a pint to reach the release from he ground.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
I like the idea of a hard rollup, but I just can't give up that much space in the front of the thing.

Hstone556

Reaction score
I like the idea of a hard rollup, but I just can't give up that much space in the front of the thing.
Hear ya there, its really not much but it does take up some space. I came from a 5' Tacoma bed... the 6.4' seemed huge. That said i may go to a roll up soft cover. Had that on my Tacoma and loved how easy it was to mess with and took up almost no room. I love the hard aluminum rollup's security and clean look.... but it's just a pain to work with now that I'm lifted, i am too short and truck is too tall haha.

AJ BCTD2500

Reaction score
Should have added my locking requirement...being able to secure cargo in the bed is important to me.

Appreciate all the discussion here! Checked out the Lomax trifold and it looks like a very similar design to the BAK MX4. Not sure if anyone has compared the two. I will say however that at first glance the locking mechanisms looks super cheesy -- also looking for comments on that for both the MX4 and Lomax trifold. Looks like a plastic tab is the only thing securing the cover from being opened. I'll give it to Paragon here - their deadbolt design is pretty secure.

All that said, it's looking like a trifold is become the best option given waterproofness and security.

bdhays63

Reaction score
Should have added my locking requirement...being able to secure cargo in the bed is important to me.

Appreciate all the discussion here! Checked out the Lomax trifold and it looks like a very similar design to the BAK MX4. Not sure if anyone has compared the two. I will say however that at first glance the locking mechanisms looks super cheesy -- also looking for comments on that for both the MX4 and Lomax trifold. Looks like a plastic tab is the only thing securing the cover from being opened. I'll give it to Paragon here - their deadbolt design is pretty secure.

All that said, it's looking like a trifold is become the best option given waterproofness and security.

i think with security most hard covers will stop spur of the moment thieves. But if somebody wants in you truck bed bad enough, I don’t think there are many tonneau covers that are gonna stop a determined thief.

el_barto

Reaction score
I have a Diamondback HD. Like any cover, it has pros and cons.

pros:
+Very secure
+Water tight
+Can walk on it/load cargo/pallet/atv/bike rack on top of it (1,600lb capacity, integrated tie down cleats.)
+Opens in front of bed to access toolbox/front of bed
+Crossbed toolbox available as option
+Rear section can have struts removed(without tools) to open 180* or removed entirely to allow large cargo
+Durable LineX coating

cons:
-Cant simply fold or roll away to open entire bed
-Requires tools to remove front and center sections, and then they have to be stored somewhere.
-Fairly Heavy / large sections...can be moved by one person, but much easier with a second set of hands.

Attachments

• 7A92380C-FF3A-479F-955E-6339AF8725AA.jpeg
    7A92380C-FF3A-479F-955E-6339AF8725AA.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 40

Users who are viewing this thread