Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau covers?

99ls1tj

Reaction score
New truck is arriving this weekend from MD and I need to find a tonneau cover. The truck is a 3500 CC srw short bed. I eventually plan to get a fifth wheel camper. I'm wonder which tonneau covers might work well with this setup and still have enough clearance for a fifth wheel without having to totally remove the cover. Thanks

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
Had a BAKFlip MX4 on a short bed 2500 with a Pullrite 24k Superglide. Could leave this on, a little close but cleared. It is going to depend on the hitch. Sidewinder vs slider. With the new 3500 and 8’ box just went with Retrax MX which would also work for you, a bit expensive though. The other option is a soft cover.

CharlieL

Reaction score
You have lots of options! There are other threads on this forum you might find helpful as well. I also have the Pullrite 24K Superglide on my 2500 short bed, and a Retrax cover. For me, there's plenty of clearance with the cover closed. Good luck on your search!

Attachments

• 2500 - Retrax.jpg
    2500 - Retrax.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 40
  • 2500 Hitch.JPG
    2500 Hitch.JPG
    631.1 KB · Views: 40

99ls1tj

Reaction score
You have lots of options! There are other threads on this forum you might find helpful as well. I also have the Pullrite 24K Superglide on my 2500 short bed, and a Retrax cover. For me, there's plenty of clearance with the cover closed. Good luck on your search!
I was leaning toward a retrax, Glad to hear the combo is working well for you.

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
The clearance I was referring to was for the BAKFlip 4 MX panels folded forward and clearance between trailer pin box and cover. I just assumed enough clearance between hitch and closed cover. My fault, the wife keeps telling me she can’t read my mind or fill in the blanks. Telepathy would be so much easier. Love the Retrax MX

BSN81

Reaction score
I had the Demco Autoslider with a BAKFlip Revolver X4S. The head of the trailer hitch sat a little too high for it to roll close. So I would remove the head (super easy) when I wasn't going to tow. Plus that helped cut down noise from the head moving around as I drove down the road. I liked how the cover would roll up and not take up any part of the bed and really wouldn't block the back window view. However, I live in the the desert and the heat caused the first one to fail. BAK was awesome and sent me a new one. If this one fails, I might switch over to the Retrax cover. The down fall to that one is you lose bed space in front of the hitch. So really depends on your wants and it needs. B743E2D8-239B-4DBE-9FDD-FDEC1DD5E1DF.jpeg6FF35964-DD1B-436C-A06C-E5BB31F81221.jpeg6E3D530A-C69F-4423-859D-572BA2D59A97.jpeg

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
That does sit very high. I had to put a ratchet strap on the slider to keep it in forward position a stop the clunking. Haven’t seen the Demco but assume it is not adjustable. How much clearance do you have with that setup?

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
That does sit very high. I had to put a ratchet strap on the slider to keep it in forward position a stop the clunking. Haven’t seen the Demco but assume it is not adjustable. How much clearance do you have with that setup?
Sorry again for lack of clarity. Bed clearance sidewall to 5th wheel. Did those lateral guides come with hitch?

BSN81

Reaction score
Good question. I think it was 8 to 9 inches....maybe. I honestly don't remember. And I can't go and measure it cause we sold our 2500 and trailer and ordered a 3500. But I attached a photo to help give a visual. My Demco didn't have to be tied down to not move. It only moved under the pressure of the trailer pin. Which I liked, just the headed moving around would cause noise. AE1A7A38-15F8-4E00-B20E-E148B4AE05A0.jpeg

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
Those sliders are really heavy and take up a lot of space. I needed an engine hoist to remove it. If I had to do it again I would consider a sidewinder or switch to a gooseneck. Lots of options. All have advantages and disadvantages.

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
Good question. I think it was 8 to 9 inches....maybe. I honestly don't remember. And I can't go and measure it cause we sold our 2500 and trailer and ordered a 3500. But I attached a photo to help give a visual. My Demco didn't have to be tied down to not move. It only moved under the pressure of the trailer pin. Which I liked, just the headed moving around would cause noise. View attachment 46193
Like you I solved the problem with a 3500 long box.

BSN81

Reaction score
The Demco Autoslider is basically 3 pieces. The "rail" or puck adapter. Then the hitch which could be adjusted by bolts, in 3 possible positions on the sides. And then the head piece. The head is easily removed and takes about a minute to remove. The hitch can be removed by removing 4 pins, but is heavy and you would need another helper or hoist to lift it out. And then you can leave the adapter in there. Lots of options. Hope that helps.

BSN81

Reaction score
Like you I solved the problem with a 3500 long box.
Yeah but I ordered a 3500 short box. I don't have the space for a long box. I'll just deal with the auto slider. We upgraded to the 3500 for the tow capacity difference so we could get a larger trailer.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Those sliders are really heavy and take up a lot of space. I needed an engine hoist to remove it. If I had to do it again I would consider a sidewinder or switch to a gooseneck. Lots of options. All have advantages and disadvantages.
My hitch setup is 365lbs i just hang it off the trailer pin when i need to take it out no need to fight with heavy things at my age

762fmj

Reaction score
I was leaning toward a retrax, Glad to hear the combo is working well for you.
I have the Rollnlock. It has a few pros and cons vs the retrax.
Pros: cheaper, base model is metal and not composite, MUCH smaller canister than retrax, sping loaded for faster/easier opening.
Cons: base model is vinyl bonded to aluminum which could possibly delaminate in the future, can only be partially opened in a couple of preset positions, spring could potentially fail, harder install.

Overall very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread