Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To dually or not to dually is the question

HDDUTY

Reaction score
I’ve read hundred of posts of the benefits of duallys but even then I’m still on the fence. I’ve found a few trimmed out 3500 SRW long bed and mega cab that has a payload cap between 3900 and 4100 lbs. I know the duallys rate anywhere from 4800 and above. My question is is it dangerous to think that if I’m right at the limit by counting pin weight cargo and passengers with little to no margin is that a dangerous combination. I’m not going to try and do the bs and say I’m only going to load light or I’m not going far. I’m looking for real perspective from the experience yal bring to the table. I haven’t brought either truck nor fifth yet but heavily looking at the
Avalanche 390 ds
14300 dry
16500 GVWR
Hitch 2780 dry
43ft long
20% of 16500 - 3300lb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
Went to a dually with my current truck. i have a camper very similar to the one you mentioned in size and weight. I could tow it with a srw, but the dually is much more comfortable experience. The extra stability and control you have with those extra wheels is noticeable. Cross winds and such are barely noticeable. Payload on my dually is 5570 so I also don’t have to worry about upgrading trucks if I go to a toy hauler or something heavier down the road.

Only downsides to a dually are tire roatations/ replacement costs and driving/parking. You get used to the turning and parking one pretty quickly. front tires go quickly so you need to rotate and that’s not as easy on a dually.

had mine for two years now and no regrets. I’d recommend a dually for the camper you described. You may not technically need it , but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone regretting getting too much truck

jerryw1000

Reaction score
Had a dually Chevy 4x4 diesel long bed. PITA to even put air in the inner dual with the factory rims and valve stems. Tire rotations. Changing a flat on the inner. 50% more tires to buy. I'm sure the guys that have them love them for the payload and 5th wheel toting but, in my old age, I went with a 2500 standard bed SRW on my RAM and still intend to pull a < 34 ft. 5th wheel with it when I find the one I want.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I’ve read hundred of posts of the benefits of duallys but even then I’m still on the fence. I’ve found a few trimmed out 3500 SRW long bed and mega cab that has a payload cap between 3900 and 4100 lbs. I know the duallys rate anywhere from 4800 and above. My question is is it dangerous to think that if I’m right at the limit by counting pin weight cargo and passengers with little to no margin is that a dangerous combination. I’m not going to try and do the bs and say I’m only going to load light or I’m not going far. I’m looking for real perspective from the experience yal bring to the table. I haven’t brought either truck nor fifth yet but heavily looking at the
Avalanche 390 ds
14300 dry
16500 GVWR
Hitch 2780 dry
43ft long
20% of 16500 - 3300lb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is Dually territory IMO. 14.3 dry is a lot of trailer. A lightly equipped SRW 3500 will have a payload 4-500 lbs above your pin weight if youre lucky.

If youre a "must be legal" type of guy.. youll want a DRW.

Im not much of a "must be legal" all the time type, but IMO that is a lot of trailer and id consider a dually anyway. My trailer is 14k loaded down and it feels HEAVY with my SRW trucks. They have plenty of power to pull the rig, but stopping can be sketchy and it feels slightly unstable in the turns.

I ended up buying a dually and so far LOVE it. We just drove it unloaded 1200 miles and it rode well considering it was empty. I had the air bags completely empty and it rode good. Family was with me and everyone was very comfortable.

I went with a 2500 standard bed SRW on my RAM and still intend to pull a < 34 ft. 5th wheel with it when I find the one I want.

Been there, done that. Not a good plan.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I don't think the weight is an issue for any SRW or DRW but the big number that stands out here is the 43ft. So we're talking 13 x 43ft of giant wind sail being pulled down the road. If it was me, I would want the stability that the DRW provides.

If the annoyance of the tires thing is too much if you are going to daily the truck, I would consider getting less trailer. If you're stuck on the big triple axle 40ft+ 5er monsters, well, you gotta pay to play and a DRW is the price of peaceful towing admission.

EDIT: Let me also add that I would stay away from the Mega talking 5ers. You can buy the slider hitch thingy and all that, but again, if it's me pulling that building behind me everywhere with my family, I want as much truck margin on stability and ease of turns...etc as I can get. The longbed DRW is the right choice here.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I don't think the weight is an issue for any SRW or DRW but the big number that stands out here is the 43ft. So we're talking 13 x 43ft of giant wind sail being pulled down the road. If it was me, I would want the stability that the DRW provides.

If the annoyance of the tires thing is too much if you are going to daily the truck, I would consider getting less trailer. If you're stuck on the big triple axle 40ft+ 5er monsters, well, you gotta pay to play and a DRW is the price of peaceful towing admission.

EDIT: Let me also add that I would stay away from the Mega talking 5ers. You can buy the slider hitch thingy and all that, but again, if it's me pulling that building behind me everywhere with my family, I want as much truck margin on stability and ease of turns...etc as I can get. The longbed DRW is the right choice here.

The mega is shorter than the longbed DRW by about 9" and as such will turn better, not worse... not sure what you mean when you say "ease of turns".

EDIT, you are probably talking about jack knifing... makes sense there and i'd agree.

I have a 5th wheel and the mega dually is absolutely a great way to go.

jetlag

Reaction score
We just got a 2021 Laramie long bed 3500 SRW with just under 4000K, 3963 to be exact, payload, and we also just bought a 2021 Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS with very similar weights to yours, but 3' shorter. This truck is my daily driver, so I quickly ruled out the dually. By my numbers I will have plenty of payload, it is just the wife and I, so it boils down to the "towing" experience that I am sure is better with 6 wheels. I have made a concession to not going with the Dually by getting ready to add hydraulic brakes to the trailer in October. That will be an additional $3600 but far cheaper than what the RV dealer wanted to do it for.

Siscoster

Reaction score
I just upgraded to a dually and it was worth it in every aspect. The top thing that I like over my SRW is the stability and ability to withstand gusty winds. The truck just handles completely different and I don’t regret it. Only downfall is parking when running around town with the family. But that’s only a minor inconvenience to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I just upgraded to a dually and it was worth it in every aspect. The top thing that I like over my SRW is the stability and ability to withstand gusty winds. The truck just handles completely different and I don’t regret it. Only downfall is parking when running around town with the family. But that’s only a minor inconvenience to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100%. We just finished a 2500 mile southern California to Yellowstone nine day trip and came across plenty of high-wind areas. Our dually was a solid as a rock and was the best handling truck I’ve ever owned far and away. I don’t regret going DRW at all.

We caravaned with two other groups, both pulling 32 foot trailers with SRW trucks. They were all over the place two hands on the steering wheel at all times in the windy areas. They talked about that a lot during our vacation.

JohnWedell

Reaction score
I have a Jayco North Point about that size and weight. I pulled it with a SRW 3500 Hemi 4:10 and it pulled fine. We had one emergency maneuver and found the truck couldn’t handle it. The trailer you’re looking at is at the limit of the Dooley. I went out and immediately traded for a dooley and never regretted it. The difference is night and day.

RunningBear3500

Reaction score
It All Depends on How Important Safety is to You. What are You, Your Family, and Possessions Worth? Can the SRW Pull the 5th Wheel? Sure, No Problem.
But...Does it get Windy Where You Live and/or Where You will be Traveling? With a SRW on a Windy Day, I'm sure You can White Knuckle the Steering Wheel until You get to Where You're Going. Except, When You Arrive, You'll be Wore Out and Needing to De-Stress. Not an Enjoyable Trip.

If there is No Wind, the Ride may be fine. Not sure What part the of the World you're in, but here in Texas, there are Way Too Many Morons on the Highways who think and drive like they are NASCAR or Road Racing Drivers. With the SRW, the First Time You have to Stop Quickly, or make an Evasive Maneuver, at Speed, You'll realize just how Inadequate Your Truck is. Somehow, people don't realize or think about what it takes to stop a 9,000+ lb Truck and 16,500+ lb going 65-75 mph...Until it's Too Late!

It's Your Money, Your Family, and Your Possessions...What are They Worth to You??? Do You Really want to Gamble?

Only You can make that decision. Think Thoroughly and Carefully!

CdnHO

Reaction score
Once loaded you can easily exceed the payload on a SRW. Given the GVWR of the trailer your pin weight might be in excess of 4K. Then add the hitch, passengers and all the stuff you put in the truck. You can probably get a way with it but..... In my opinion you are in dually territory. Yes, they can be a pain in certain respects but I park in the back lot anyway as I hate people smashing their doors into my paint job. And you get used to the hips on them. And given the aquisition prices of these trucks a couple more tires every 50K miles is really no big deal. At least you are asking the right questions.

Users who are viewing this thread