Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire Pressure Unavailable

g00fy

Reaction score
Last week I changed my wheels and tires over from my aggressive Kenda M/T's on 17" power wagon wheels over to my more mild Falken Wildpeak AT3's on 2018 Laramie wheels. Usually after i switch my wheels and tires for the season, i take a 10 minute drive and the truck senses the different TPMS and sorts itself out with zero drama... Unfortunately this time, something seemed, off for about 2 days after the swap my Tire pressures didn't budge, then going down the highway, all at once i got the Tire Pressure Unavailable error.

1665768511978.png

I figured it was a fluke and after a few driving cycles it would sort itself out... It has not...

My first thought, since I haven't used this set of tires in just over a year was the TPMS sensors themselves died. I picked up a set of 4 brand new mopar sensors off ebay, for $50. I have access to a tire machine so i went through the hassle of swapping 2 sensors out to see if the 2 new sensors would show up. They also will not show up.

I've tried resetting the BCM and the RFhub, no joy yet. Any help would be appreciated, I'm supposed to take the truck and travel trailer with my wife and 7 month old to Florida in 2.5 weeks and I'm hoping to have this sorted before then. I have no issue monitoring the tires the traditional way and ignoring the little yellow light, but the big red screen popping up every time i start the truck is very annoying.

g00fy

Reaction score
Alright, I got this sorted out, don't know if it fixed itself by coincidence or if doing the following actually fixed it:

Using AlfaOBD i went in and accessed the Radio Frequency Hub (RFH)

Once I was connected to the RFHub I went to the check engine icon (Faults), and Read All Faults.

Sure enough, 4 faults in the RFHub, each one was a different code for no Signal from each tire position.

I cleared the codes, restarted the truck.

All TPMS sensors showed up immediately without even needing to drive again.

From googling my own issue, I've seen this is a somewhat common occurrence when swapping wheels around, and it could simply be if the TPMS sensors are not picked up right away the RFHub throws a code and stops looking for them until the codes are cleared. Or it's probably supposed to keep checking for sensors but an intermittent glitch caused it to stop, and clearing the codes fixed it. Like I said in my OP I've swapped wheels & tires seasonally since 2015 with my ecodiesel and since 2019 with my Cummins, never once had this stupid problem.

Last edited:

Firebird

Reaction score
I had 1 sensor intermittently doing the same thing, was at the dealer for a minor repair, and they flashed the truck to correct it, so far, has not happened again

g00fy

Reaction score
Well my problem persists, I guess clearing the codes in the RF module just let's the EViC display the last received pressures.

The truck gave me the tpms unavailable error again today, not really sure what to do now.

I put 2 brand new Mopar sensors in the passenger side figuring if the old tpms sensors were shot, I'd at least confirm it when the new passenger side sensors synced up, however the truck is not detecting them either. I figure there's no point replacing the driver side sensors if that's not going to make a difference.

Is there a manual relearn procedure I don't know about that can be done?

g00fy

Reaction score
Are you still under warranty?

Technically yes, but that doesn't mean much at the dealers around here. I've changed the radio and the wheels (running factory Laramie wheels I bought used) on the truck, which is plenty for them to conjure up some BS and ultimately waste my time.

Firebird

Reaction score
Technically yes, but that doesn't mean much at the dealers around here. I've changed the radio and the wheels (running factory Laramie wheels I bought used) on the truck, which is plenty for them to conjure up some BS and ultimately waste my time.
Bummer. Since my dealer did the update, my TPMS dropping off hasn't happened again, and I run aftermarket wheels/tires too

g00fy

Reaction score
Today I had to go to a tire shop and pick up a pair of tires for our work truck. While I was there I asked if they could see if my TPMS sensors were actually broadcasting, because that would allow me to eliminate the sensors as a variable in this problem.

They were very nice and sent a guy out with a fancy TPMS tool. He plugged into the OBDII port and went around and checked all the TPMS, all sensors were broadcasting fine, but the truck was not picking them up. He said he would try and do a force learn, which he said was hit & miss on mopars.

It actually worked for the most part, I left the tire shop and 3 of my 4 tires popped up within a minute or 2 of driving. The only tire that didn't pop up is the driver front tire. I have a suspicion something in the truck is giving off some interference which was preventing the truck from learning the new sensors, at the moment my money is on the Pedal monster, i'm going to completely remove it and see if that driver front tire finally connects later today.

okieram79

Reaction score
Bummer. Since my dealer did the update, my TPMS dropping off hasn't happened again, and I run aftermarket wheels/tires too
What update is this? I have a 22 2500 and have had this happen 3 or 4 times, running the stock Tradesman wheels/tires.

JATAGA

Reaction score
I'm having same issue after tire rotation. If I clear the codes all is good but then a few days/miles later I get "Tire Pressure Unavailable". Stock tires and sensors.
It's a 2019 so AlphaOBD RFM replace/reset is not an option without 5 digit code. I also get a regular "Key FOB has left the vehicle" message. Wonder if it is an RFM issue?

g00fy

Reaction score
I'm having same issue after tire rotation. If I clear the codes all is good but then a few days/miles later I get "Tire Pressure Unavailable". Stock tires and sensors.
It's a 2019 so AlphaOBD RFM replace/reset is not an option without 5 digit code. I also get a regular "Key FOB has left the vehicle" message. Wonder if it is an RFM issue?
I'm assuming if you use alfaobd you have a security bypass cable. Take the truck to a tire shop and have them do a force relearn, or have them read the ID's of all the sensors for you so you can manually enter them with alfaobd. Should straighten things out.

JATAGA

Reaction score
Yep I've got the bypass cable and also a separate 12+ 8 for my xtool8. (not using them at the same time) I also have a tpms tool and did a relearn. The live data does see the tpms sensors in the correct place but for some reason after driving for a day or so the RFM looses connection with them. I loose all four at the same time. The RF hub and antenna all pass their respective test. That's why I'm at a loss...

Highdesertexplorer

Reaction score
I have a 2023 ram 2500 big horn 4x4 crew cab and today on a 50 mile trip home I got the tire pressure temporarily unavailable message. I shut the truck off a couple times and drove some more and it is still showing. I did put new tires on a month ago but this just popped up today. The truck is completely stock with the exception of the new tires. I took a video of the message and am going to take it to the dealer in the morning. I’m hoping they will be able to fix this issue and do so under warranty. I can’t imagine putting new tires on would void warranty. After doing some googling this appears to be somewhat common. I only have 3,000 miles on the truck so I’m a bit bummed. Truck was at the dealer last week for a popping or clunking noise and they discovered the rear sway bar and and rear track bar had come loose. They re torqued and noise is gone. I understand with lift kits it’s a good idea to re torque new components after some miles but still less than confidence inspiring as I have never had an issue like these on other new trucks (fords) I have purchased.

Mesabadude

Reaction score
Any updates on what the problem was? I’ve had my 24 Ram 2500, all stock for a couple months and comes and goes. Maybe 5 times . 1,300 miles on it

Users who are viewing this thread