Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timber Grove VS Air Lift 5000

whitexc

Reaction score
Acquiring the new Reflection has me browsing for some helpers for those rear coils on the 2500 just in case. There is only about a $50 difference between the two. The Timber Grove bags are very nice being stainless so probably worth the extra coin. Any input from the 2500 towing crowd is appreciated.

I would probably be fine without them but I also don't like squat in the rear. If I have to add bags to level the truck I am ok with doing so. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

whitexc

Reaction score
Notta? Anyone?

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
I ran the Airlift 5k on my 18 2500 sb. Used Daystar cradles with my Thuren Suspension. Worked well. Towed a 29 ft. Trailer. Then a 34 ft. 5th wheel. Pin wt. was 2200lbs. No issues handling the weight. Moved up to a 3500 SRW and went with Timber Grove Bags. Very nice construction and keep 5-10 lbs in them and the ride is very nice.

slvrsix7

Reaction score
I've had both in the past and on my most recent truck went with Airlift. Yeah the Timber Grove kit is more robust as it should be since you are paying more, but the Airlift does the job just fine. So I went with the cheaper kit.

whitexc

Reaction score
Wondering if the Timber Groves require drilling of the frame if the 5th wheel hitch (pucks?) setup is in place like the Airlift?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Wondering if the Timber Groves require drilling of the frame if the 5th wheel hitch (pucks?) setup is in place like the Airlift?

None of them require drilling holes…. All the holes used are OEM

whitexc

Reaction score
Not sure on that sniper. Many reviews and some directions state if factory 5th wheel brackets are there drilling is necessary. Was hoping for verification on that.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’d look into Firestone bags.

Airlift bags always looked and felt cheap to me.

No firsthand experience with Timber Grove.

steve49

Reaction score
I've had the Timber Grove bags on my last three trucks! This last set for my 2500 wouldn't hold air after several days, checked and reinstalled push on connectors, but still leaked off. Finally looked at the bags and found each had a small pin leak at the metal ring base, took some pics and contacted Steve the owner of Timber Grove. He responded to my email on a Sunday within minutes and new bags were shipped Monday morning. Great customer service along with stainless steel mounting hardware, and easy install.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Not sure on that sniper. Many reviews and some directions state if factory 5th wheel brackets are there drilling is necessary. Was hoping for verification on that.

Nope it just bolts where the bump stops bolt any of the reviews are clearly not for a ram

whitexc

Reaction score
Thinking I will contact Timber Grove and have a chat and likely go with them. I appreciate the little guy companies out there as well as everyone's input.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
I’ve been eyeing Timber Groves since back when I had my 1500. Had them on top of my list until I found I didn’t need them.

Pic below if after we stopped to fuel up, Family is in the truck, 5ver loaded for week at the coast, usual camping gear plus all the beach stuff plus bikes and the kitchen sink! Truck is bone stock. As info, family of five, I’m the only male………..

Attachments

• 1A7A55DF-6194-41D2-A5F0-003E23A1BF80.jpeg
    1A7A55DF-6194-41D2-A5F0-003E23A1BF80.jpeg
    566.2 KB · Views: 54

whitexc

Reaction score
Hmmmmm, thanks Dad. She is sittin pretty. Maybe I should give it a whirl with the new hitch, etc. These snowy days cooped up inside(WNY snow storm) cost us money I swear.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Hmmmmm, thanks Dad. She is sittin pretty. Maybe I should give it a whirl with the new hitch, etc. These snowy days cooped up inside(WNY snow storm) cost us money I swear.

I can imagine! IIRC, the 298 is ~170lbs heavier on the pin compared to the 278 so if you go with something like the B&W Companion you would probably have about 400 lbs more on the pin than I do.

oilnewby

Reaction score
I have the TimberGrove Stainless on my 2500. Easy install and zero issues. I used the Airlift WirelessOne kit with remote. Do not cheap out and get a manual fill - you will regret it if you tow a lot.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the TimberGrove Stainless on my 2500. Easy install and zero issues. I used the Airlift WirelessOne kit with remote. Do not cheap out and get a manual fill - you will regret it if you tow a lot.

I wouldn’t say you’ll regret it, I was constantly adjusting the pressure in the bags of my 05 and never regretted not getting the airlift setup. Sometimes I’d adjust the pressure 3-4 times a day. I did have OBA thou, so that helped.

Last edited:

oilnewby

Reaction score
Fair point - I think the OBA certainly helped. I will say loading up a trailer for me to than adjust the bags independently left and right with a controller from the drivers seat is very convenient. That said, certainly many ways to get it done.

Users who are viewing this thread