Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tie down anchors on the sides of the bed

PGHChris81

Reaction score
What are my options for tie down anchors on the side of my bed? I am going to be moving some boxes that are stacked and will be a tad raised over the bed so looking at what I can do to tie down along the perimeter of the truck to secure. The factory corner anchors wont be enough, and I have a Kobalt toolbox up front. Thanks.

Zeroday

Reaction score

Distillusion

Reaction score
I know of these but have no experience with them first-hand:

The BullRings are really nice. They're not much use for tying down objects that sit lower than the bed rail, but they're great for taller stuff. I've had them in several trucks. I keep forgetting to take them off the trucks when I sell them, so that I have them for the next truck. :rolleyes:

PGHChris81

Reaction score
I know of these but have no experience with them first-hand:

Thanks for the suggestion! I just ordered some. It looks like since I have the toolbox I can anchor my straps to the upper/middle inside factory tie off and go over the toolbox and to these rear bed rail anchors and that gives me a secure upper restraint. Appreciate it.

MikeXM

Reaction score
I have bullrings on my 2020. They are great.
Make sure you order the correct pairs, they aren't the same all around.

Reaction score
Do this....if you want. depending on your bed length, get two lengths of steel chain (not what you would tie up the Queen Mary with but...) Add about a foot over your bed length. So 8' would be a 9' length etc etc. Grab 4 of those chain add-a-link thingies that have a threaded collar in the middle that when you screw them shut it closes up the gap. Use the 4 tie down points , one in each corner of the bed to secure the last link in each chain to to the tie down point with the add-a-link thingy. Now with the length of chain running fore and aft the length of your bed, you have just about an endless amount of tie down options. Just make sure the chain you use , the links are big enough to except your tie down/strap hook. Rope and bungee ends are self-explainable. I have a Swing Case tool-box in the rear left corner of the bed and I'm finishing up with some custom work and will the be installing a Weather-Guard Cross Box shortly. That chain clears everything 'cause you can make it as taunt or loose as needed depending where your put the strap. In the photo with the chain draped OVER the wheel-well, if'n you pulled it in and upward direction, directly centered over the wheel-well. It comes up just to the bottom of the bed rail. Works great with the Spider Bed-Web. Multiple points to stretch that biatch.

It'll hold multiple corn-dogs too.

chain 1.jpgchain 1.jpgchain 2.jpgchain 3.jpgchain 4.jpgchain 5.jpg

Last edited:

geektoad

Reaction score
Do this....if you want. depending on your bed length, get two lengths of steel chain (not what you would tie up the Queen Mary with but...) Add about a foot over your bed length. So 8' would be a 9' length etc etc. Grab 4 of those chain add-a-link thingies that have a threaded collar in the middle that when you screw them shut it closes up the gap. Use the 4 tie down points , one in each corner of the bed to secure the last link in each chain to to the tie down point with the add-a-link thingy. Now with the length of chain running fore and aft the length of your bed, you have just about an endless amount of tie down options. Just make sure the chain you use , the links are big enough to except your tie down/strap hook. Rope and bungee ends are self-explainable. I have a Swing Case tool-box in the rear left corner of the bed and I'm finishing up with some custom work and will the be installing a Weather-Guard Cross Box shortly. That chain clears everything 'cause you can make it as taunt or loose as needed depending where your put the strap. In the photo with the chain draped OVER the wheel-well, if'n you pulled it in and upward direction, directly centered over the wheel-well. It comes up just to the bottom of the bed rail. Works great with the Spider Bed-Web. Multiple points to stretch that biatch.

View attachment 7926View attachment 7926View attachment 7927View attachment 7928View attachment 7929View attachment 7930
Great idea! thanks for sharing :)

PGHChris81

Reaction score

View attachment 7926View attachment 7926View attachment 7927View attachment 7928View attachment 7929View attachment 7930
That is an excellent idea! Thank you for sharing that!

Distillusion

Reaction score
The chain is a great idea. Just be sure to leave a little slack in it. If you make it tight, then any strap pulling in the middle of it can actually bend your tie-down eyelets. Same physics they apply to power lines. Stretch them tight, and a bird landing in the middle between two poles can bend/snap the poles. The slack prevents that.

Reaction score
The chain is a great idea. Just be sure to leave a little slack in it. If you make it tight, then any strap pulling in the middle of it can actually bend your tie-down eyelets. Same physics they apply to power lines. Stretch them tight, and a bird landing in the middle between two poles can bend/snap the poles. The slack prevents that.
Once again, you're securing pick-up carrying things...Not the USS Missouri....Hope I helped with an idea or two.

Last edited:

Distillusion

Reaction score
Once again, you're securing pick-up carrying things...Not the USS Missouri....Hope I helped with an idea or two.
As I said, the chain is a great idea. But you only need about 20 lbs of force to bend the eyebolts if the chain is stretched tight between them. I wouldn't lump that in with an Iowa class battleship. I use more force than that to ratchet down a lot of things. It only takes a couple of inches of slack in the chain to avoid the situation, a few extra links. In fact, I used your chain idea today, thanks for that. Hauled some odd furniture for the kids, extra 5 links of slack on each side, and then 4 straps in odd locations.

Reaction score
All you are needing to do is eliminate the movement to eliminate the momentum. A pallet of bricks will stay put in the bed of a parked truck all day long. Bump the throttle with that unsecure or poorly secured pallet and it starts moving and moving faster with each force applied, before you know it, you have traffic backed up at the intersection with a heap of bricks piled up on top of your previously closed tailgate. Tighten things to the tolerances of the securement device(s). It says that on all packaging.

Bill Nye just fell asleep reading this...it was just tossed out as an idea for a frequently used solution to a question asked. Glad it worked out and "odd locations" wording is exactly the intent of the use.

Distillusion

Reaction score
Moment of inertia of a pile of bricks is a lot lower than that of a tall piece of furniture or appliance, like a refrigerator. The COB is much higher. Last load I carried had several tall pieces, and I wanted each one strapped. Even going around a corner risked tipping. Takes some tighter strapping to prevent that. Plus strapping the whole load together as possible.

Funny, you think it's good to toss out a frequently used solution, but you don't want me to add to it by telling folks it's a good idea, and just not to make the chain tight.

Wileykid

Reaction score
I replaced the cleats in my truck bed with these.

Distillusion

Reaction score
Nice, but hard to put a half hitch on a rope tie.
Agreed, although the rope cleats provided are smallish. Most of the time I'm using straps rather than ropes. I have a couple of Danik hooks for my ropes, too. No need for knotting, just a hook for your rope with a thumb lever to hold / release the rope. Love these things - especially when trying to reach into a tight spot to get a tie down.
Danik-051618-202.png

Gray Ghost

Reaction score

That is a great idea, I am always battling with where the hooks are and the front hook is behind my bed cover.

Users who are viewing this thread