Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thuren Springs with air-bags

GOES211

Reaction score
Greetings collective minds of the forum.

I recently installed Thuren soft ride +1” front and -1/2” rear springs on a 2500 diesel. I tried towing with yellow Sumo Springs with ~800lbs tongue weight and was completely disappointed.

I would like to supplement the rear suspension with air bags and Daystar cradles, but I can’t find anything in the way of user experience.

What are you running for rear air-bags with your Thuren soft ride springs?

What has your experience been with the internal bump stop bags vs the plain air bags?

Is there a minimum height that works with various bags and cradles?

Thank you all in advance for your time and help.

Richard

Rudy35

Reaction score
I recently installed Daystar cradles and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags (2018 2500 Cummins). Just be aware that I had to drill and tap a hole to mount the cradles, so you have to have a tap set to do that. Other than that, it wasn't too bad an install.

HEMIDUTY

Reaction score
Look into Timber Grove airbags, I had them on my 1500 and just installed them on my 2500. On the 2500 I just installed them by just reaching over the tire and there is no drilling. They are high quality, stainless steel brackets and hardware and great customer service.

GOES211

Reaction score
I recently installed Daystar cradles and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags (2018 2500 Cummins). Just be aware that I had to drill and tap a hole to mount the cradles, so you have to have a tap set to do that. Other than that, it wasn't too bad an install.
I appreciate the note on the install.

How did you make sure the cradle was centered on the air bag prior to drilling?

Is your truck at the factory ride height?

Can you share any impressions after living with the combo for a bit?

Thank you for your input.

GOES211

Reaction score
Look into Timber Grove airbags, I had them on my 1500 and just installed them on my 2500. On the 2500 I just installed them by just reaching over the tire and there is no drilling. They are high quality, stainless steel brackets and hardware and great customer service.
Thank you for pointing those out. I was not aware of them.

I will add them to the list of potential solutions.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score

Iirc they don't recommend the cradles unless you have something like a 1-2" lift in the rear...seeing as how you lowered yours I don't think the cradles are for you....

Rudy35

Reaction score

I removed the factory bump stops and mounted the bag at the top to center the cradle. Marked the location (sharpie) for the cradle and removed the bag. Then I put the cradle where marked and center punched at the hole for the bolt that holds the cradle. Drilled and tapped (if you haven't done that before, just take your time and keep the tap straight, work it in and out and hopefully you get a good threads) and mounted the cradle and bag.

My truck is at factory ride height.

Haven't driven the truck since install, but in April I'm hauling my fifth wheel to Myrtle Beach. My camper doesn't really squat the truck, but I hope some air in the bags will make for a better ride.

GOES211

Reaction score
Iirc they don't recommend the cradles unless you have something like a 1-2" lift in the rear...seeing as how you lowered yours I don't think the cradles are for you....
I remember seeing that once as well, but I believe it was on a vendor’s site.

That’s exactly why I’m here to see what people’s experience is. My suspicion, though just a guess, is that the 1-2” of lift in the rear comment is due to the fact that the rear axle should droop further with a lift hence making the cradle worthwhile. I should be in the same camp with the Thuren spring if that’s the case.

GOES211

Reaction score
I removed the factory bump stops and mounted the bag at the top to center the cradle. Marked the location (sharpie) for the cradle and removed the bag. Then I put the cradle where marked and center punched at the hole for the bolt that holds the cradle. Drilled and tapped (if you haven't done that before, just take your time and keep the tap straight, work it in and out and hopefully you get a good threads) and mounted the cradle and bag.

My truck is at factory ride height.

Haven't driven the truck since install, but in April I'm hauling my fifth wheel to Myrtle Beach. My camper doesn't really squat the truck, but I hope some air in the bags will make for a better ride.
Roger that. Thank you.

Comparing the bottom airbag mount that you didn’t use and the cradle, would you say the cradle was taller overall?

Rudy35

Reaction score
The cradle isn't very tall at all, I don't see much difference between it and the airbag mount.
Roger that. Thank you.

Comparing the bottom airbag mount that you didn’t use and the cradle, would you say the cradle was taller overall?

GOES211

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on some Timber Grove air-bags. After some back and forth and some rear end measurements, the +2” bags were recommended due to the fact that they compress to the same height as the standard bags but they expand further. I am going to hold off on the Daystar cradle until I see how this setup behaves.

Leonm228

Reaction score
Going to do airbags in my 2500, and was curious if anyone is running the airlift 7500, and if so, does the 7” diameter bags work with the daystar cradles. TIA

Users who are viewing this thread