Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thuren or Carli? And what bits and pieces do i need?

Chris1911

Reaction score
I currently have a 2.5" front/1" rear spacer setup installed. I would like to upgrade to springs/shocks for a better ride (family complains about the ride), but not sure what all i absolutely have to get. Suspension kits show all sorts of bars and brackets with them, but is all of that necessary? Can i get just the spings and shocks? With the spacers, the only extra piece i have that i know of is the brackets that extend the length of the front shocks.

Also, is either Thuren or Carli known to have the better ride?

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
Thuren is a bit less and rides well. You can start with Coils and shocks. Recommend Front Track bar for Axle centering. That's a good start and can build more from there if desired. Here is my 16 Hemi. 2" Front and 1" rear Thuren coils.20180901_124327.jpg

Last edited:

Vdrsnk

Reaction score
If you are going to do an upgrade that doesn’t break the bank but is still a worthwhile investment I would suggest these parts. I ram this for years on my 2018 and it did great for me.

- Thuren soft ride front coils (your preference for height choice)
- Thuren adjustable track bar
- Thuren spec valved fox shocks

It depends how tall you want to go, but I have a set of 1” Thuren front springs I would give you for free, you just pay the shipping fees. But I’m guessing you want more height. Another option people have done on this website is run these 1” front lift soft ride springs and then install the Thuren 1/2” lowering rear soft ride springs for an even better ride.

Chris1911

Reaction score
Thuren is a bit less and rides well. You can start with Coils and shocks. Recommend Front Track bar for Axle centering. That's a good start and can build more from there if desired. Here is my 16 Hemi. 2" Front and 1" rear Thuren coils.

By centering, are you saying it needs correct front to back, or left to right?

Do you have the extended sway bar links in the back?

Chris1911

Reaction score
If you are going to do an upgrade that doesn’t break the bank but is still a worthwhile investment I would suggest these parts. I ram this for years on my 2018 and it did great for me.

It depends how tall you want to go, but I have a set of 1” Thuren front springs I would give you for free, you just pay the shipping fees. But I’m guessing you want more height. Another option people have done on this website is run these 1” front lift soft ride springs and then install the Thuren 1/2” lowering rear soft ride springs for an even better ride.

I appreciate the offer for the springs, but i want to keep the height i got. I want the 3" front and 1" rear springs. I think i would prefer 2.5" in front, but both Carli and Thuren have 3" for front for Hemis.

Vdrsnk

Reaction score
By centering, are you saying it needs correct front to back, or left to right?

Do you have the extended sway bar links in the back?

You need an adjustable track bar to center your axle side to side. With the design of the suspension from oem when you raise it up your stock track bar isn’t long enough. Your axle is most likely off center with your current setup.

You don’t need anything on your rearend as far as making it correct. But you can do things to it for improvements, sway bar end links being one of them, but it isn’t a necessity.

Last edited:

Chris1911

Reaction score
This is how the Thuren tech answered my questions. He doesn't say anything about centering. Not sure what changes with the track bar after 30K miles.

Highly recommended replacing your track bar if it has more than 30k miles.
Our coils have a much lighter spring rate than factory and as such the front suspension is more active.

Your factory track bar will likely be unhappy with much more suspension travel.

Though you can always add it later.

Andrew

On Tue, Oct 4, 2022, 4:45 PM Chris J <> wrote:
Hi,

Is a track bar necessary with the 3" front springs with 1" rear (with
Fox shocks) on a 2019 Ram 2500 hemi? I have a 2.5" spacer installed
right now and it is fine without one.

Thanks
Chris

You must order the rear coil kit with longer rear end links or the rear sway bar will invert if the full droop travel of the coils is attained.

Does this answer your question?

Andrew

Andrew Patrick | (541)508-9703 | ThurenFabrication.com

On Tue, Oct 4, 2022 at 5:49 PM Chris J <> wrote:
What about the extra parts for the rear. Would the springs and shocks only not work well without the other bits and pieces?

wpgram

Reaction score
The factory track bar joints are not very good quality and wear fast. lifting if without replacing will actually shift your axle over to the passenger side. The aftermarket ones are adjustable and will center the axle.

Scooter29

Reaction score

Are those the 1” Thuren springs that are .5” lift on the diesel?

NightTrain

Reaction score
I went with the 3" Thuren kit in the front and their 1" spacer in the back. To get the full benefit of the ride, I plan to do add the rear coils at some point. I don't tow or load heavy much but, if you do you might want to consider just the spacer in the rear. In regards to the track bar, they say the stock one wears out around 25-30k miles and will need to be replaced. The kit in the link includes the track bar. Install was easy and there's plenty of reading/vids if you plan on doing it yourself.

1665050528051.png
1665050564495.png

Chris1911

Reaction score
I went with the 3" Thuren kit in the front and their 1" spacer in the back. To get the full benefit of the ride, I plan to do add the rear coils at some point. I don't tow or load heavy much but, if you do you might want to consider just the spacer in the rear. In regards to the track bar, they say the stock one wears out around 25-30k miles and will need to be replaced. The kit in the link includes the track bar. Install was easy and there's plenty of reading/vids if you plan on doing it yourself.

I already have a 1" spacer in the back currently. I want to get rid of the factory springs as they ride rough. I have Airlift 5000 air bags, so i should be fine with the softer springs.

desertskier

Reaction score
Front sway bar makes a world of difference as well!!!!
I just installed a Thuren front sway bar on my 3500. I haven't made any other changes and it made the ride significantly better. It feels like the front suspension is actually working now.

Dave88LX

Reaction score
Thuren and Carli are both great companies. Call them both up, see what they recommend for you.

Chris1911

Reaction score
I went with Thuren. 3" front/1" rear springs and fox shocks with front track bar and rear extended sway bar links. Have had it in for several weeks now and the ride is way better. Happy with it so far.

52451762454_3e41f8658e_o.jpg

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
The factory track bar joints are not very good quality and wear fast. lifting if without replacing will actually shift your axle over to the passenger side. The aftermarket ones are adjustable and will center the axle.
not to be mr. right here but it actually shifts the axle to the driver side in the front.....

ccmartin2

Reaction score
I went with Thuren. 3" front/1" rear springs and fox shocks with front track bar and rear extended sway bar links. Have had it in for several weeks now and the ride is way better. Happy with it so far.

52451762454_3e41f8658e_o.jpg
What tires? Would you have any comparison to the Carli front and rear cil replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread