Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thuren Leveling Kit - Worse than stock what could be the issue?

KLSU

Reaction score
I had a local Shop (Thuren Authorized Installer) Install the Dodge Ram 2500 Fox IFP leveling kit 2.0 in May of this year. (FOXIFPFK-RARAM-1H2)

I read online how this kit drastically improved the ride of our trucks so I spent the money on this kit instead of just 2" blocks. At the begining I did feel like it helped over big bumps but it still road very harsh, not like other people were raving about it but I thought maybe I needed to let it settle/break in.

Skip to the past week. The truck now rides worse than stock suspension. Every bump is felt almost like there is no shocks at all. Large pot holes and bumps makes the entire truck jump it is so harsh. People riding in the backseat look like they are on a roller coaster.

Anyone have any ideas on where the problem is? All I hear about is how much people love this setup but I am worse off than stock now.

MtnRider

Reaction score
I would never call the improvement "dramatic" myself but it shouldn't be worse than stock that's for sure. For Harshness there isn't much it could be. I'd start by checking your tire pressure and make sure they are not over inflated and try lowering a few psi if not loaded. The only other thought is are you sure they didn't put the diesel springs on there? Can you get a part number off the spring? Bad shock will cause bounce, not harshness so I doubt it's those.

KLSU

Reaction score
What Tire pressure are you guys running? I am 58-60psi.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What Tire pressure are you guys running? I am 58-60psi.

Do you know what your truck weighs?

I run 55F/35R in my ‘22 when empty, so your empty hemi should be able to run lower up front. 35 is generally the minimum psi recommended for street use.

This is the chart I use to determine proper air pressure for a given weight.

Riddick

Reaction score
The kit you installed should make a difference in ride quality, it should not be worse than stock but its a stretch to call it a dramatic improvement. As stated above start with your air pressure and then verify everything is installed correctly. Make sure the shock body is not loose, if you can grab the shock and you feel movement chances are your top nut came loose (fairly common). Are your springs seated against the perch, the top of your spring should be resting against the rubber. Your Thuren springs have writing on them, the letter should be facing outwards and should be legible.... not upside down. As for the track bar not sure if you can install this wrong bt does your front axle look centered? The best way to tell is by looking at your front tires in relation to your fender, there should be the same gap on both sides. Fee free to post pics here so everyone can get a good look at your suspension up close.

Enve46

Reaction score
On top of everyone else recommendation, I would check to make sure you have the correct length shocks. Take a picture of how much shaft is there at ride height. Ive had that exact kit but for diesel on my 22 I had and I will say the ride was much better, but everyone is different. I would say Im way above average person on feeling differences in their ride. I can tell when the tire pressure isn't even side to side and which corner, where some people drive on flats without knowing.

KLSU

Reaction score
First I want to thank everyone for the responses.

Here are pictures of my setup
Drivers Side
Drivers side.jpg
Passenger Side
Passenger Side.jpg
Underneath (Not sure if this shows anything important)
Front Under.jpg
Tire Pressure (Too High is what is looks like) How to stop TPM from giving low tire pressure lower than 55psi?
Tire pressure.jpg

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Tire Pressure (Too High is what is looks like) How to stop TPM from giving low tire pressure lower than 55psi?

Use something like JScan or AlfaOBD to lower the warning threshold.

MtnRider

Reaction score
That is the correct spring for a hemi 2" level. Interesting though, they don't use a Hemi specific coil. The same coil is a 1" diesel level. Given the weight difference I would imagine it does not ride as good as a diesel would on those springs.

Have to admit though, I don't know any gas owners that have installed this level. Everyone I know has a diesel which is going to be much heavier in the front end.

Riddick

Reaction score
I did not realize you were running aftermarket tires, definitely try lowering your tire pressure. I would try around 45-50 front and 40-45 rear to start out.... I bet this makes a pretty big difference. Yes, you will throw a TPMS light but give it a try and see if it fixes your problem. As mentioned above there are programs you can purchase to customize your warning thresholds.

Your passenger coil isn't sitting against the rubber perch (top of spring), not a huge deal but definitely keep an eye on it. Also, your drivers side shock appears to have more threads showing on top of the shock. It almost looks like the small unthreaded portion broke off the top of your passengers side shock, hard to tell in the pics. Make sure the shocks are tight and that you cannot physically move the shock from side to side.... it should be tight (no play).

KLSU

Reaction score
I did test both shocks for movement and both no movement. I'll lower tire pressure before I drive home from work today to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Razzman

Reaction score
While the Thuren coils and Fox shocks do make a difference, the big difference imo is the active sway bar and it looks like you skipped that. working together it does make a big difference, at least on mine it did. But then the 6.7 is heavy so I can't speak for the Hemi.

KLSU

Reaction score
While the Thuren coils and Fox shocks do make a difference, the big difference imo is the active sway bar and it looks like you skipped that. working together it does make a big difference, at least on mine it did. But then the 6.7 is heavy so I can't speak for the Hemi.
I asked the dealer about this specifically and he said he has seen only minimal if any difference in gas 2500 doing this. I actually thought that would be the best thing for ride before I bought this leveling kit. He talked me out of it

Razzman

Reaction score
I asked the dealer about this specifically and he said he has seen only minimal if any difference in gas 2500 doing this. I actually thought that would be the best thing for ride before I bought this leveling kit. He talked me out of it
I would talk with Thuren on this point and get their opinion.

Riddick

Reaction score

I can only comment with first hand experience with the diesel only. However, after installing my Thuren sway bar I noticed an immediate improvement the second I backed out of my driveway. You will notice the sway bar on off camber surfaces such as entering driveways at angles and hitting pot holes with one tire. The sway bar allows the axle to articulate whereas the stock bar is so tight the axle is bound up.

Enve46

Reaction score
To see what the swaybar will offer you, remove yours completely. I removed mine on my diesel and its night and day difference, I have zero lift on mine. My 37s I run 42psi up front and 36 rear which gives me correct contact patch. A chalk test would be the best way to see what PSI you need to run, but I would definitely lower them

ClawSS

Reaction score
My hemi rides rough...rougher than any diesel I have ridden in. I'm Thuren 2" with softrides in the back on thick 37's running just 35lbs in the back. Thing will bounce you off the back seat after a bridge approach and then proceed to bounce 3 times as it settles down. I have new Fox 2.5 adjustibles in the back to soften it but they didn't help. Rear trackbar solved the rear from wandering, but no help on the bump and bounce.
Everything on the road is felt in your torso. I have a thread somewhere on here. I've given up (FYI).

werard

Reaction score

He talked you out of it because he could charge you more to install shocks and springs. The swaybar and tire pressure is the biggest bang for your $'s to "soften up the ride" Just my .02

BikePilot

Reaction score
I did sway bar, front springs, and front shocks all at once on my 3500 Megacab diesel. The improvement in ride was dramatic. Super noticable, wife and kids commented right away. I'm running 37s on 17" wheels with 45psi up front and 40 in the rear. A gasser would need less pressure I'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread