Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thuren level review

tcedgar8

Reaction score
Hey guys Just recently installed a pile of parts for my 19 3500 w factory air. Full list of installed parts is as follows
- Thuren 2.25 coils
- Thuren track bar
- King Steering stabilizer
- ready lift 1" rear lift block
- TAXDA 1" airbag spacer
- Thuren Swaybar
- Bilstein 5160 bypass in front
- Bilstein 5100 Rear( couldn't find 5160 rears)
I wasn't sold on Fox's 2.0 for the price so I went with Bilstein honesty really like the shocks for the money!! Active rate swaybar again great investment cant go wrong with it I've have this product on two trucks now and its a good product. The Front coils and track bar great qualify product and ride quality. I was not blown away at the performance of the King steering stabilizer, didn't notice a massive improvement over stock but still a nice product if you're needing to upgrade. A Carli low mount might be better since it gives you the adjustability. That said a 15 min install for the king is hard to beat, no tweaking or having to get a charge kit if you don't already have one. Air bag spacer was another relatively easy install with a product the is well designed and eastly installed. Note* I did run my truck for a couple weeks with out the bag spacer its wonky and the guys that have dealt with the Factory air and suspension adjustments will know unless your geometry is correct its messed up. Once installing it was prob two adjustments to get it good enough. Thuren shackles again great product, I love anything that is greaseable and serviceable. I didn't notice the flex or ride change some folks did with new shackles but factor air is a big factor.
The rear end is meh at the end of the day. Kinda tough to have the increased payload with air bags and a soft ride. I say this because air bags should be slightly inflated to avoid damage during normal suspension travel. I've adjusted my ride height sensors and had it reasonably deflated. its funny because I can slam over almost anything and the front will soak up bumps ruts you name it. but depending on how sharp the bump is the back hits hard. Might play with the sensors again I got it good enough and returned to life of the family man/ business owner.

I seem to remember a video or blog post where Don Thuren talks about "don't be nice to our products" basically put it to the test and I took that to heart. I picked a off 4x4 trail in an area I'd been when i had my Canam side by sides. It was a 60 km round trip 80% really easy last 20% was river crossings, boulders ice walks banks etc.. Other than smashing my home made intercooler guard it was a good time. I got to test my truck out in a Varity of terrains and speeds. the truck was great and I was not gentle( but also not abusive its my favorite truck) I previously had a 2013 2500 Megacab diesel with a mix of Carli and Thuren parts. so I can say I prefer my newer truck but also had airbags in the 13' and add a leaf. the rear end was choppy in that sucker. I also had entry level Carli shocks which are not meant to be anything more than you pay for.

My list of to do's is evolving as many of ours are, Id like to tune in the rear end. I had the thought to do the Daystar air bag cradle and see if that makes the differences. I'm sure it will get a lot more axle flex but not necessarily improve rear ride quality. The next major upgrade will be either 37x12.5R18s so I can really feel cool or Chassis unlimited Octane winch bumper since my factory bumper is showing some wear ( rock chips smashed it off a rock) you know. Additionally planning on upgrading to King 2.5s once Bilstein's leak or i happen to have 4k burning a hole in my pocket :p. Front end it tight so steering upgrades aren't currently a priority. The Radius arms from factory leave something to be desired since "as cheap as possible" is the name of the game for auto manufactures on many components. Seems to bee a few options Carli, Thuren, FFS, Firch Fab, Metalcloak. That said its prob more or less truck bling. I wont destroy a factory radius arm most likely. I have to say for those of us that spend extra money on high end products probably say its better than it is to satisfy our own doubts or heightened expectations. either way its fun and I enjoy my truck with new parts and available parts to come.

Wilder

Reaction score
If you haven't done it yet, weld your front axle shock mounts better than the factory does. If you use your suspension hard, especially in the winter when the shock oil is stiff, you will shear off your shock mounts sooner or later. There are aftermarket mounts available, but a good place to start is just to weld the factory mounts better. My mounts were only welded to the axle over about 1/3 of the available area that could be welded.

Attachments

• PXL_20230219_220719874 (1).jpg
    PXL_20230219_220719874 (1).jpg
    783.9 KB · Views: 67

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Photos other day from "testing"

Good review. I also have 5160's up front and 5100's out back with factory air rear.

No complaints OTHER THAN the noisy Thuren track bar. Mine is always making noise despite re-tightenting it about every month.

tcedgar8

Reaction score
If you haven't done it yet, weld your front axle shock mounts better than the factory does. If you use your suspension hard, especially in the winter when the shock oil is stiff, you will shear off your shock mounts sooner or later. There are aftermarket mounts available, but a good place to start is just to weld the factory mounts better. My mounts were only welded to the axle over about 1/3 of the available area that could be welded.
Oh man that's nuts. I was planning on building shock mounts. but I bought a welder for home so I might just build my own or gusset the factory mounts up. I'm honestly just looking for rand things to weld and fabricate now lol.
Shock mounts axle truss bed tool mounts skid plates. :p

tcedgar8

Reaction score
Good review. I also have 5160's up front and 5100's out back with factory air rear.

No complaints OTHER THAN the noisy Thuren track bar. Mine is always making noise despite re-tightenting it about every month.
Thanks Just my late night babbling My wife's eyes glaze over to fast. :D Are you sure its not just the 5160 valving? I know its noticeable noise in the cab for large bumps.
Is the track bar Loosening? if so maybe look at the trackbar mount replacement. because the aluminum is probably getting gouged up.

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/products/2019-2024-ram-2500-3500-pw-track-bar-bracket

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Thanks Just my late night babbling My wife's eyes glaze over to fast. :D Are you sure its not just the 5160 valving? I know its noticeable noise in the cab for large bumps.
Is the track bar Loosening? if so maybe look at the trackbar mount replacement. because the aluminum is probably getting gouged up.

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/products/2019-2024-ram-2500-3500-pw-track-bar-bracket

Intersting.. never thought about the front shocks. Its almost like a clicking or slight clanking sound when I go over bumps.

Hmmm. Now you have me wondering.

tcedgar8

Reaction score
Intersting.. never thought about the front shocks. Its almost like a clicking or slight clanking sound when I go over bumps.

I was able to rock my truck enough to hear and feel the valving clicking. Funny because you had me wondering too so i eyeballed my trac bar and nothing has moved.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I was able to rock my truck enough to hear and feel the valving clicking. Funny because you had me wondering too so i eyeballed my trac bar and nothing has moved.

Wow, ok!! Im gonna do that today when I get home lol. I hope youre right -- sounds like you probably are

firemansdiesel

Reaction score

A trac bar will make a popping or clunk noise when bushing goes bad and/or loose. Usually at turning situations. The noise you‘re descibing usually come from the shock top mount not tightened enough. It will make a clanking type noise going over bumps.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
A trac bar will make a popping or clunk noise when bushing goes bad and/or loose. Usually at turning situations. The noise you‘re descibing usually come from the shock top mount not tightened enough. It will make a clanking type noise going over bumps.

Thank you! I'll check this too. Although the front shocks' top mounts are rubber insulated so even if it was loose it seems it wouldn't make noise?

Either way..im going to have a look.

tcedgar8

Reaction score
The I know I can feel a clicking in the shock. The website does briefly mention deflective disc valving. I've watch a few shock therapy videos and they explain this pretty good and attribute it to a clicking noise. Like @firemandiesel mentioned we got other thing to verify. Mines got less than 5000k on it and was clicking from day one. Ill probably go through my front end any way but i feel confidant its the shocks. I did hit a few bumps today and it had me wondering If i was bottoming out and i need a longer shock or limit straps.

I installed this part number which checks out. but they have "universal" operations you could spec accordingly.

25-240405​

Riddick

Reaction score
Thank you! I'll check this too. Although the front shocks' top mounts are rubber insulated so even if it was loose it seems it wouldn't make noise?

Either way..im going to have a look.

Reach in through your wheel wheel and grab the shock body while shaking it side to side. If they are loose you will feel the shock moving around. A couple of months after I installed my Fox shocks I had a similar noise and it turns out I did not tighten the top nut down enough. I snugged them back down and its been fine for over a year. Post up so we know what your noise actually was.

tcedgar8

Reaction score
I know we got a little off topic here but its all relative. I ended up attaching the truck for ****s with a torque wrench. nothing moved all tight. The only thing I found which peaked my curiosity/ anxiety was i had a little play in both front hubs and like a true processional i threw away all instructions when installing suspension components. Turns out i installed the frame nut on upside down. so ill change that but otherwise haven't noticed anything.

1709085209866.png

tcedgar8

Reaction score
OK just to RE my last post I'm a dumbass but you'll come to that conclusion your self. Nut was installed fine. Kept digging and found both upper ball joints have a little play. Should be warranty booked for Thursday to get diag. and parts ordered. Based on the 5160 measurements the FULLY Extended Length (IN)22.68 and Collapsed Length (IN)15.31. Measured and found the shocks are reaching that 23 in pretty easy. I'm prob going to shoot Thuren an Email see if they recommend shocks (likely) or limit straps.

tcedgar8

Reaction score

Alright gimmie11s I emailed Thuren I guess the Bilstein 5160 that we got for " 2-2.5 lift" is 3 inches to short for the Thuren set up. I did go through my truck like crazy and found some upper ball joint wear and all the hardware is good. Im thinking ill buy the Turn 5100s maybe

Users who are viewing this thread