Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thuren Level + Factory Rear Air, 3500 Dually

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
A 1/2" isn't a level because the truck still has a rake....or were you dropped on your head? I don't know what it is you think you're gaining by driving around at alt ride height with a trailer a 1/2 ton can tow....this isnt the first time your towing nonsense has been called out...a truck with factory rear air doesn't have the "overloads" so try again.....op asked if rear air will level his truck....not if he rides around at alt height....the answer is yes....

Yes it’s a level, most level kits don’t set the front and rear at the same exact height…they are still level kits.

The 3500 auto-level absolutely has overloads, to say otherwise is just uneducated and ignorant…. Did you ever even look under your truck that had auto-level?

Using alt is the proper way to tow/haul any load that allows it to be engaged. We already know you don’t like or understand the setup , so why would we expect you to provide accurate information on how to use it.

You moved on from an auto-level truck, maybe it’s time you move on from providing “recommendations” on how to use them.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Yes it’s a level, most level kits don’t set the front and rear at the same exact height…they are still level kits.

The 3500 auto-level absolutely has overloads, to say otherwise is just uneducated and ignorant…. Did you ever even look under your truck that had auto-level?

Using alt is the proper way to tow/haul any load that allows it to be engaged. We already know you don’t like or understand the setup , so why would we expect you to provide accurate information on how to use it.

You moved on from an auto-level truck, maybe it’s time you move on from providing “recommendations” on how to use them.
You never had a dually....maybe you should stfu as well....

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
If you could explain why it's called alt ride height instead of proper towing position I'd appreciate it!

I thought the name of it was pretty self explanatory, but maybe not…. It’s literally the towing position ;)

“Alternate Trailer Height” which is for… get this, trailer towing (as required, as not all trailers have sufficient tongue/pin weight to engage alt mode on 3500’s).

Do you need it broken down more than that? It’s the alternate height to be used with trailers.

It’s 1” lower than “Normal Ride Height” which is to be used for normal driving.

The biggest benefit to the 3500 aft height is that there are a set of pretty stout overloads that only get engaged, statically, in alt ride height. This provides added stability and improved handling when towing.

Anything else you need explained?

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
I thought the name of it was pretty self explanatory, but maybe not…. It’s literally the towing position ;)

“Alternate Trailer Height” which is for… get this, trailer towing (as required, as not all trailers have sufficient tongue/pin weight to engage alt mode on 3500’s).

Do you need it broken down more than that? It’s the alternate height to be used with trailers.

It’s 1” lower than “Normal Ride Height” which is to be used for normal driving.

The biggest benefit to the 3500 aft height is that there are a set of pretty stout overloads that only get engaged, statically, in alt ride height. This provides added stability and improved handling when towing.

Anything else you need explained?
So you're saying you're not supposed to tow at all in NRH?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
So you're saying you're not supposed to tow at all in NRH?

Did you read what I wrote? Already answered that question for ya. Hint… “as required”

The owners manual is where that information came from, maybe you could read it.

The Ram brochure calls it “Trailer-Tow Mode”.

You can tow all you want in normal, but you negate all the benefits of alternate height. So do with your truck what you want.

IMG_0003.jpeg

It’s really no different than Tow/Haul mode. Use it as a tool to improve the way the vehicle performs.

Enve46

Reaction score
This has been entertaining... Just to throw this out there, anything that lifts just the front is a "leveling" kit even if the net results isn't dead level. I had a 2019 2500 with rear air and didn't level its because I didn't want to go through the hassle of rear bag spacers and links

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
This has been entertaining... Just to throw this out there, anything that lifts just the front is a "leveling" kit even if the net results isn't dead level. I had a 2019 2500 with rear air and didn't level its because I didn't want to go through the hassle of rear bag spacers and links
Only according to that Einstein....

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Did you read what I wrote? Already answered that question for ya. Hint… “as required”

The owners manual is where that information came from, maybe you could read it.

The Ram brochure calls it “Trailer-Tow Mode”.

You can tow all you want in normal, but you negate all the benefits of alternate height. So do with your truck what you want.

View attachment 69594

It’s really no different than Tow/Haul mode. Use it as a tool to improve the way the vehicle performs.
So it's an alternate height....not what you're supposed to use?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
You ok my man? A leveling kit only lifts the front vs a lift kit that lifts both front and rear.

You mean like this… simple concepts are difficult for some folks.

IMG_0004.png

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
@williamfr

Another for reference measurement. I had to move the stock trailer today and since it has 3K lbs of pellets forward of the axles I was able to get into alt height. At least 1200lbs of tongue weight.

F: 22 1/2
R: 22 1/4

So I’m 1/4” nose high with all the payload aft of the rear axle.

That’s why I don’t feel the 0.5” springs are compatible with a 3500 auto-level that tows.

YMMV

williamfr

Reaction score
@williamfr

Another for reference measurement. I had to move the stock trailer today and since it has 3K lbs of pellets forward of the axles I was able to get into alt height. At least 1200lbs of tongue weight.

F: 22 1/2
R: 22 1/4

So I’m 1/4” nose high with all the payload aft of the rear axle.

That’s why I don’t feel the 0.5” springs are compatible with a 3500 auto-level that tows.

YMMV
Thanks for all the info so far. I’m really trying hard to find information on trucks with rear air having overloads, but I’m coming up short. This would be the overall reasoning for using alt trailer height right? Is it in the manual by chance or do you have any other info on it?

I personally don’t know what I’d be looking for. This is all new to me

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info so far. I’m really trying hard to find information on trucks with rear air having overloads, but I’m coming up short. This would be the overall reasoning for using alt trailer height right? Is it in the manual by chance or do you have any other info on it?

Go look at your suspension. You’ll see two full length leaves on top that are the leaves in use while you’re in normal ride height.

Directly below them are more leaves. Two forward of the axle, and one aft of the axle. Those are the overloads. If you look at the front and rear of those leaves you’ll see large rubber nipples that shouldn’t be in contact with the main leaves in normal ride height. In alternate ride height the truck lowers onto those leaves for added stability and support, and why it’s such a great setup.

This is the forward nipple.

Normal

IMG_0018.jpeg

Alternate Trailer Height

IMG_0017.jpeg

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
here ya go @AH64ID

now you can educate yourself of the differences between air and non air spring packs......like i said....no overloads on the air spring packs....

williamfr

Reaction score
here ya go @AH64ID

now you can educate yourself of the differences between air and non air spring packs......like i said....no overloads on the air spring packs....

Does seem clear that there are no additional overload springs, or that they've been removed rather, on the rear air version.

Even in the linked picture back a few posts, the definition refers to the ATH - "to be used as required", not that it IS required for any particular reason - including overloads. From everything I've seen, it's just an alternate height to help with leveling if needed.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
here ya go @AH64ID

We know you said that, but you’re still wrong.

He doesn’t do a very good job with his video and technical terms, so you can go with what he says as gospel or you go with what it actually is. He gets the gist across, but isn't as technical as he should be for a video you want to get an education from. :rolleyes:

The standard spring suspension has upper and lower overloads, the video only calls out the upper overloads. The standard spring suspension is a 3/1+2 and then the HO axle wrap leaf as well. The 3/1 denotes 3 mains leaves and a single lower overload, the +2 is the upper overload. It’s been that way, minus the HO axle wrap leaf, since 2003.

He then calls the auto-level spring pack a 4 leaf main pack, which it’s not. It’s a 2 leaf main pack and that can even be seen in his video with a separation of the upper and lower leaves. It’s a 2+2 pack, and has been a version of that since it was released in 2015. If it was a 4 leaf main pack all 4 leaves would support the truck at all times. They don’t, which is very obvious.

The difference in the two overload setups is that you can’t decide when the overloads are engaged on a standard spring suspension, but you can on an auto-level.

Just for S&G’s, what would you call a set of springs that isn’t utilized normally, but is utilized when loaded?

Unfortunately there isn’t a lot published by Ram on the suspensions and even some that is wrong. It calls the 3500 a closed system, it’s actually an open system. The video on using it shows the bed lowering screen for alternate ride height engagement.

It would be great to get some good info, but even 9 years later it’s still sub par.

Does seem clear that there are no additional overload springs, or that they've been removed rather, on the rear air version.

There are no upper overloads on the auto-level truck, but don’t fall for that videos incorrect labeling of the main pack as a 4 leaf pack. It’s a 2+2 pack.

Here is a photo from eBay. It does a good job showing how it’s a 2+2 pack with 2 mains and 2 overloads.

IMG_0022.jpeg

Overloads are any spring that is not engaged when empty at normal ride height (air assisted suspension or not). They are solely there to support additional weight when the suspension gets loaded.

Even in the linked picture back a few posts, the definition refers to the ATH - "to be used as required", not that it IS required for any particular reason - including overloads. From everything I've seen, it's just an alternate height to help with leveling if needed.

No, it’s not required for any load. What you find is a better ride and better handling when you use it. The 2 main leaves are rather soft, which is where we get our nice ride, so when you load up the truck and keep the suspension on the normal mode it takes a lot of air in the airbags which makes for a rough ride. By using alternate trailer height you engage the overloads (if they weren’t overloads they would already be in use) and get that additional support so the airbags don’t have to be as stiff. This also provides better axle wrap control and later stability.

So no, using alternate is never required… just like T/H and the exhaust brake, but we can benefit from all the tools we have to improve the vehicles performance .

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
amazing you think a rear spring pack on a 3500 only has 2 main leafs.....

Users who are viewing this thread