Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thuren Front Boogie (Sumo) Bumps

Scooter29

Reaction score
Just wanted to give my experience on my 3500 with Thuren .5” coils with Thurens front boogie bumps which on the 19-23 rams they use sumos.

With .5” TF351 coils or stock these will give a harsher ride on bumps. This being that stock or the low lift coils do not provide the lift and spacing that is needed between bump stop mount and contact pad on the axle. For me it prevented the Thuren coils and Fox 2.0s to cycle and absorb the bumps as it would immediately start compressing the sumo.

I bought them as I’ve bottomed out a few times on big bumps with speed. So figured I’d try them out to help the harsh hit from the stock hard rubber bump stops.

Thuren was awesome with customer service as always. I talked to them about my situation and Andrew even went out and looked at a truck there with boogie bumps and ok’d cutting the first rib off to give some clearance before engaging the sumo while still having enough material to absorb the impact. But after measuring it would still only allow 1.5” and less clearance vs the 2.5”-3” clearance stock. So I will return them and stick with stock bumps.

Attachments

• IMG_7325.jpeg
    IMG_7325.jpeg
    411.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7332.jpeg
    IMG_7332.jpeg
    428.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7329.jpeg
    IMG_7329.jpeg
    484.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7330.jpeg
    IMG_7330.jpeg
    423.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7334.jpeg
    IMG_7334.jpeg
    526.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7335.jpeg
    IMG_7335.jpeg
    424.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7336.jpeg
    IMG_7336.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 31

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Just wanted to give my experience on my 3500 with Thuren .5” coils with Thurens front boogie bumps which on the 19-23 rams they use sumos.

With .5” TF351 coils or stock these will give a harsher ride on bumps. This being that stock or the low lift coils do not provide the lift and spacing that is needed between bump stop mount and contact pad on the axle. For me it prevented the Thuren coils and Fox 2.0s to cycle and absorb the bumps as it would immediately start compressing the sumo.

I bought them as I’ve bottomed out a few times on big bumps with speed. So figured I’d try them out to help the harsh hit from the stock hard rubber bump stops.

Thuren was awesome with customer service as always. I talked to them about my situation and Andrew even went out and looked at a truck there with boogie bumps and ok’d cutting the first rib off to give some clearance before engaging the sumo while still having enough material to absorb the impact. But after measuring it would still only allow 1.5” and less clearance vs the 2.5”-3” clearance stock. So I will return them and stick with stock bumps.
Try the blue sumos out as they're a tad softer and then if the feeling is right for you then cut a rib off of them. Get em from Amazon so you can easily return them if it doesn't work for you. Usually I carry two sets for the rear of my trucks and swap them since most versions easily thread on/off the mount (a black set for towing and a blue cut down set for empty), but with the amount of lift on my '22 I've been happy running blacks F/R for now. I can definitely feel them engage, but it takes some doing with the 2.75" springs (would be 2.25 for the 3500).

Here are the blue fronts : https://www.superspringsinternational.com/shop/ssf-302-40/

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

That is the exact opposite experience that I have had with them. I am running stock coils and they have done an amazing job softening the bumps out. Before I would go over a bigger bump and when the stock bump stops engaged it was harsh, but now its a very soft dampening and I can take speed bumps at a much higher speed and not have any harsh engagement.

I wonder why yours are so harsh.

Scooter29

Reaction score
That is the exact opposite experience that I have had with them. I am running stock coils and they have done an amazing job softening the bumps out. Before I would go over a bigger bump and when the stock bump stops engaged it was harsh, but now its a very soft dampening and I can take speed bumps at a much higher speed and not have any harsh engagement.

Ya I’m not sure but immediately leaving for the test run I hit the same long speed bump leaving the neighborhood and before I could feel the suspension absorb the hit and with the black sumos it instantly engaged them and didn’t allow the coils and shocks to work as intended. And then other bumps and things I could tell the difference. I don’t bottom out a lot but the times I have it is hard because of the factory bumps so I wanted to try these. May try the blue ones but i dont know.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya I’m not sure but immediately leaving for the test run I hit the same long speed bump leaving the neighborhood and before I could feel the suspension absorb the hit and with the black sumos it instantly engaged them and didn’t allow the coils and shocks to work as intended. And then other bumps and things I could tell the difference. I don’t bottom out a lot but the times I have it is hard because of the factory bumps so I wanted to try these. May try the blue ones but i dont know.

It could be the softer coils move quicker and the rapid engagement is what you're feeling. With stock height coils they are engaged statically, but I don't notice them at all, just the greatly improved ride on rough roads and high speed bumps.

Scooter29

Reaction score
It could be the softer coils move quicker and the rapid engagement is what you're feeling. With stock height coils they are engaged statically, but I don't notice them at all, just the greatly improved ride on rough roads and high speed bumps.
Pretty much what I’m thinking compared to your setup, the softer coils are moving through the travel faster. Guess I’ll just save up for 2.5” Kings with good valving for later ha. But I’m the meantime the ride is improved and I’m happy. Maybe I’ll try the blue ones out and see if it’s a smoother engagement then cut the first rib off to give myself more space before engagement.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score

I’m with you, love em’ on the PW. But, it has quite a bit of travel before the bump touches the axle.

DeadEnd

Reaction score
Pretty much what I’m thinking compared to your setup, the softer coils are moving through the travel faster. Guess I’ll just save up for 2.5” Kings with good valving for later ha. But I’m the meantime the ride is improved and I’m happy. Maybe I’ll try the blue ones out and see if it’s a smoother engagement then cut the first rib off to give myself more space before engagement.
Let me know if you do decide to try the blue ones. I've got the exact same front setup as you and was looking at the black ones. Came across your thread and am not reconsidering.

Scooter29

Reaction score
Let me know if you do decide to try the blue ones. I've got the exact same front setup as you and was looking at the black ones. Came across your thread and am not reconsidering.
Will do, might get them from Amazon like another member suggested for east return if they don’t work out. I’d like to try them and if it’s softer run them with trimming one rib off.

Users who are viewing this thread