Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thuren 3" leveling front coils and stock 18s

chas0218

Reaction score
Im wondering if i could run something like a 37x11.5 on stock 18s without rubbing with the thuren 3" leveling coils. Everything I've read says the thuren coils make the ride so much nicer. Im also going to run a set of shock extenders for the stock bilsteins.

Also would this in some way void any warranties?

Arth

Reaction score
Im wondering if i could run something like a 37x11.5 on stock 18s without rubbing with the thuren 3" leveling coils. Everything I've read says the thuren coils make the ride so much nicer. Im also going to run a set of shock extenders for the stock bilsteins.

Also would this in some way void any warranties?

While I can't comment on the clearance I can comment on the ride. I am running their Fox 2.0 shocks with their 2" coils up front. I've also added their sway bar and yes the ride is much better. You notice it mostly on the larger bumps they are much more dampened. Small stuff is still a little bouncy. I am also running their 1" lift coils in the rear with their tuned fox shocks as well.

As far as warranty you'll obviously not carry any warranty on anything you replace (Shocks, Coils, etc). As far as everything else that should still be covered no issue.

chas0218

Reaction score
While I can't comment on the clearance I can comment on the ride. I am running their Fox 2.0 shocks with their 2" coils up front. I've also added their sway bar and yes the ride is much better. You notice it mostly on the larger bumps they are much more dampened. Small stuff is still a little bouncy. I am also running their 1" lift coils in the rear with their tuned fox shocks as well.

As far as warranty you'll obviously not carry any warranty on anything you replace (Shocks, Coils, etc). As far as everything else that should still be covered no issue.
Good to know, i wasnt going to do the "package" because the wait for the shocks was so long.
Get replacement shocks. You will end up breaking things with the shock extenders.
Yeah my plan was to once they were more available.

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
Thuren also has a Bilstein Spec Number for shocks Front and Rear for their Coils.

slvrsix7

Reaction score
Yeah I do not do any extreme offroading. I will be using shock extenders with Thuren's 1.75 coils and won't have a problem. Ran them in the past, won't break anything.

chas0218

Reaction score
2" Thuren coils with 35's on stock 18's no issues

Yeah I do not do any extreme offroading. I will be using shock extenders with Thuren's 1.75 coils and won't have a problem. Ran them in the past, won't break anything.

Can I ask why you guys are going with 2" and 1.75"? is there a benefit to the shorter leveling kits? I saw Thuren's video on what a completely level truck looks like vs the raked level (I'm not sure what you would call it) and liked the look of the completely level truck. My last truck just had the torsen keys tightened all the way and it still had a slight rake that I didn't really like the look of.

chas0218

Reaction score
Shock or shock mounts. The shock will end up being the bump stop.
I'm not trying to be disrespectful just trying to understand. Are you referring to hyper extending the shock from over travel that the longer spring could cause or actual bottoming out the shock? My logic was if the spring is meant to go from say 10" to 20" but you extend the length to say 23" by adding a longer spring making it 10"-23" by adding the 3" spring extension wouldn't that bring it back to the 10"-20"? Again no disrespect, I don't really want to run my new shocks just trying to figure this all out.

woody284

Reaction score
I’d say measure your current differences, front and rear. On my 2500 tradesman with off-road package, I am only about 2.25” higher in the rear. I put in a 1 “ spacer but netted 1.25. These are just my measurements but knowing where you begin will help you choose. I’m sure there are also things to consider like control arms and ball joints but that’s above my head.

slvrsix7

Reaction score
It is just personal preference. With the 1.75" I should have about 1" of rake which I prefer. The 2"+ gives the appearance to me that the front is higher than the rear. I know this is not the case and just "looks" this way, but for me I prefer the front to appear a tiny bit lower. Plus when I have weight on it, unless its heavy I am not nose high. If your familiar with PD Diesel on YouTube, his truck is identical to mine and he is running 1.75" coils with extensions and loves the setup. He seems knowledgeable and I love how his truck turned out. My last truck (21 3500) I ran 1/2" Thuren Coils and had around 1.5" or so rake, so this time around I figured I would go 1.75" and lessen it a bit.

Stock my truck right now sits exactly two inches higher in the rear (1/2 tank fuel) so If I went 2" or more I think I would get that front end higher appearance and I definitely do not want to lift the rear to remedy that.

jeffawats

Reaction score
when I measured my truck 2" makes it dead level,all the trucks will/can measure slightly different mine is also gas not diesel.I personally love it being completly level

loveracing1988

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be disrespectful just trying to understand. Are you referring to hyper extending the shock from over travel that the longer spring could cause or actual bottoming out the shock? My logic was if the spring is meant to go from say 10" to 20" but you extend the length to say 23" by adding a longer spring making it 10"-23" by adding the 3" spring extension wouldn't that bring it back to the 10"-20"? Again no disrespect, I don't really want to run my new shocks just trying to figure this all out.
If you get a 2" lift coil and don't install a new shock or a shock extension you are limiting your down travel, because you are asking the shock that has a 10" stroke to move longer than 10" now. If you leave the same shock and install an extension you are still at a 10" stroke but now you are limiting your up travel. Now the spring can essentially compress a further 2" from the factory coil. If you have shocks meant to do it or have bump stop drops you are fine, but if the shock can't compress as much as the spring can you are bottoming out the shock and turning it and associated components into your bump stop. Will you ever notice? I have no idea, but I've seen enough broken lower shock mounts with shock extensions bolted to them that I figured I would caution you.

chas0218

Reaction score
If you get a 2" lift coil and don't install a new shock or a shock extension you are limiting your down travel, because you are asking the shock that has a 10" stroke to move longer than 10" now. If you leave the same shock and install an extension you are still at a 10" stroke but now you are limiting your up travel. Now the spring can essentially compress a further 2" from the factory coil. If you have shocks meant to do it or have bump stop drops you are fine, but if the shock can't compress as much as the spring can you are bottoming out the shock and turning it and associated components into your bump stop. Will you ever notice? I have no idea, but I've seen enough broken lower shock mounts with shock extensions bolted to them that I figured I would caution you.
Thank you i appreciate the explanation, i didnt take into the account of added compression distance when using an extender. Do you think short term it would hurt anything being a pavement pounder? I would only run it daily driving until the shocks come in.

Users who are viewing this thread