Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Throttle lag

Lee66

Reaction score
2020 Ram 3500 6.7 HO Tradesmam
I have recently experienced what I am guessing is throttle lag and it got my attention quick, yesterday I was slowly going across traffic pulling out to a median and noticed fast traffic heading toward me. Gave it a little gas and after a second the truck accelerated causing me to tighten up a little and cut into the median quick. That is dangerous, I talked to a dealer and the mechanic said Ram is working on software fix for this. I then talked to another dealer for them to only say it is throttle lag.
I emailed Ram a few days ago, so far no response. Has anyone heard of Ram working in this?
It appears to more recognizable after the CP4 recall to CP3 replacement. It could be just me.
I do not drive the truck much, it is mainly used to pull my 5th wheel.

Beware- Also during acceleration if your not careful and you touch the brake with the left foot the truck will go into limp mode for a short time. Dealer confirmed this and said it apperas to be a safety setting. I have done it twice , my guess it is because of the throttle response at times.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't 2-foot most any modern vehicle thanks to Audi. They will all cut throttle input if you're in motion and touch the brake.

(It's a throwback joke to the one that started it all.)

DBW systems are all prone to throttle lag, seems more pronounced in an 8500lb truck.

flashman252

Reaction score
Banks Pedal monster.....

Fixes all the lag. Makes everything feel SO MUCH better. Takes 5 min to install. It has 30 different settings, and honestly I keep it on number 4. Anything higher than this feels too sporty and causes the transmission to downshift much too quickly for my taste. I solely bought it just to get rid of the dead pedal or pedal lag and it does just that. No need to harp on the transmission or make the motor work harder than it needs to. Remember, this is not a transmission tune, like you get with a deleted truck. So your transmission will learn everything all over and the turbo kicks in within seconds of barely touching the pedal, but it takes a little getting used to for sure and takes about a week for the truck to relearn the new power curve it creates.

Alligator John

Reaction score
I put a JMS Pedalmax Terrain on my Power Wagon. Similar concept as what the Banks version is. Banks has some great reviews, but it takes up the obd port and I did not want to do that, so I ended up going with the Pedalmax. Mine has a dial where I can set it anywhere from stock to completely removing the throttle lag. And because it is the "terrain" version, I can also dial it the other way to give it more throttle lag if I want. I guess some people might want the negative settings to slow it down for rock crawling or something. I have yet to play with it off road which is my intended use for it.

flashman252

Reaction score
Just took mine off last night because I have to take the truck in tomorrow for some warranty work and an oil change. Good god it sucks driving this truck without it now. It seems like it takes FOREVER for the turbo to spool and start providing power.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I know this has been said before, but it bears repeating again: nothing you plug in can eliminate pedal lag. All the plug in devices are doing is amplifying the signal from the pedal, basically telling the truck you’ve pushed the pedal down further than you have. The computer isn’t going to respond to the change in signal any faster.

Firebird

Reaction score
I know this has been said before, but it bears repeating again: nothing you plug in can eliminate pedal lag. All the plug in devices are doing is amplifying the signal from the pedal, basically telling the truck you’ve pushed the pedal down further than you have. The computer isn’t going to respond to the change in signal any faster.
True, but is sure does make driving sooooo much better!

Users who are viewing this thread