Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Throttle lag

Norwood

Reaction score
When entering a expressway if I nail it to merge into traffic my truck lags a second or two before responding, kinda scary

Nick

Reaction score
Their are abut 3 ways to mitigate that . Most expensive to least . Getting a tuner , Installing a Pedal Monster or like device (which I use )or try rolling onto the throttle instead of mashing it .
When entering a expressway if I nail it to merge into traffic my truck lags a second or two before responding, kinda scary

CdnHO

Reaction score
Hello, 2020 3500 dually HO 6 speed trans
I learned to roll onto the throttle instead of mashing it. It surprised me the first time it happened. Even though it seems like a long time when it happens, it is probably less than a second. Once she spools up she goes however.

Norwood

Reaction score
I learned to roll onto the throttle instead of mashing it. It surprised me the first time it happened. Even though it seems like a long time when it happens, it is probably less than a second. Once she spools up she goes however.
Thanks I will try that. Another question, what is the gear select switch on the steering, and could you give me a example of when I would use it?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thanks I will try that. Another question, what is the gear select switch on the steering, and could you give me a example of when I would use it?
Thats to limit your truck to a max gear like if you are towing heavy and want it to not shift to 6th for some reason then you would use it or when i am towing on some of the local winding hilly backroads i will limit my truck to 3rd gear so its not constantly shifting from 3-4 as i go up and down the hills

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
Been thinking about a pedal monster. Is it worth it and what’s the main advantage. I use my truck 99% of the time for towing my boat or 5er.

mountainears

Reaction score
I got rid of mine. Didn’t want to deal with pulling it out for any dealer visits. There is an initial feel that it is nice but you get used to it and forget it is there. Just roll your throttle faster, same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsalbre

Reaction score
The pedal monster, and all other similar devices are just an amplifier for the pedal signal. For example, say you’re pushing the pedal 5% down the truck thinks you’re pushing it down at 10%. They don’t speed anything up or reduce any lag.

DammitDave

Reaction score
You don't have to remove it when you go to the dealer, look into it and read there is no way it voids any warranty, and if you wanted to remove it it's just 2 plugs. Like jsalbre said all it does is make your throttle pedal more sensitive and there is a high, medium, and low setting. I like mine on the medium setting, it just eliminates that slight pause when you mash the pedal to get up and go.

Norwood

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, wasn't sure this was a common problem. Now I know my truck is ok. Thanks again

Nick

Reaction score
Takes only a couple of minutes to remove and when you reinstall it remembers so you don't have to reprogram it . When I tow I just put it back to stock . I put it on the top setting on once in a while just for fun and it will launch your truck in a hurry ! I usually keep it on city about halfway up the scale which is easier to driven stop and go traffic . No throttle rolling will get you moving as quick as the top setting. Just fun like half the crap we spend money on for our trucks .

Sherwin2004

Reaction score
We shouldn't need aftermarket everything when it comes to throttle response. This isn't a new problem. Sluggish on occasion is an understatement. Big motor with questionable balls.

techman

Reaction score
Just a suggestion, plan your merge maneuvering so it is not last second. We've all been caught with an unexpected need to accelerate quickly, but routinely going WOT to match traffic speed is kind of dangerous.

Or if you need instant acceleration, get a Tesla, not a 3.5 ton truck.

:)

RSA964993

Reaction score
I’d highly recommend the tune. I had the exact same problem and ended up with Calibrated Power. Emission intact shift on the fly tunes. Night and day on every aspect of my truck. Throttle response is just the beginning. There are different tunes depending on what you’re doing with your truck. I toggle between ‘modified’ street and ‘light tow’. Modified street optimizes throttle response and gear changes. These trucks were built to help meet EPA guidelines and that’s why a lot of the performance gets programmed out. I was towing prior to having this, and was afraid to pass anyone. The throttle response was horrible and it would not kick down fast enough to have any confidence. All of that is fixed with this tune.

Cseybert

Reaction score
My 22 DRW HO is not a problem at all on acceleration. I don’t get what everybody’s talking about. My 2019 2500 felt a little less.

Users who are viewing this thread