Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on the Curt CrossWing?

g00fy

Reaction score
I'm really starting to think hard about a 5th wheel upgrade from my bumper pull Grey Wolf 27RR, and I do have my sights set on a Raptor 362 floorplan since it's the floorplan that checks the most boxes on our wish list. That being said, I started looking at the supporting accessories I'm going to need for going 5th wheel and at the top of that list is a 5th wheel hitch.

I have zero experience with 5th wheels or Goosenecks. I installed the factory puck system/gooseneck myself after purchasing the truck so I'm going to want to go with a hitch that utilizes that setup. My truck is a short bed, so if I went with a conventional 5th wheel hitch I'm thinkin' I'd have to go with a big heavy auto slider. I'm hoping to avoid that. This is something I'd probably only use a couple times a year, and the rest of the time I'd want it out of my bed, and I don't want to need to have to phone a friend every time I gotta put the hitch in or take it out. So I was looking at lighter simpler alternatives.

I did consider a goosebox, I see now that one of the companies makes an offset ball for the factory gooseneck which is great, but I also read goosebox setups put a lot of extra bad physics and stress on the frame of the 5th wheel which is no good either. I've been reading plenty about the trash that's rolling off RV assembly lines the past decade, and I don't want to give their garbage welds any more excuses to fail than they already have. I also happened to be talking to my father the other day about the poor build quality on new RV's, and he was a regional sales rep for a few different welding companies (Linde, Cyberweld, ESAB) for over 30 years, and he said he remembers going to Trailer factories in PA and being blown away by the garbage frame welds they were laying down on the production line.

But back on topic, I ultimately landed on the Curt Crosswing. Seems like a great solution for being lightweight and easy to use. I figured that would be the direction I would go in, until I saw some posts the other day on the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. I know these hitches are not exactly the same, but they're similar concepts of light weight easy to use setups. The Curt does look more robust, and it does weigh twice as much as the Andersen, so it may be totally fine, but I was hoping to get some opinions from those here on the forum with more 5th wheel experience. Thanks.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm really starting to think hard about a 5th wheel upgrade from my bumper pull Grey Wolf 27RR, and I do have my sights set on a Raptor 362 floorplan since it's the floorplan that checks the most boxes on our wish list. That being said, I started looking at the supporting accessories I'm going to need for going 5th wheel and at the top of that list is a 5th wheel hitch.

I have zero experience with 5th wheels or Goosenecks. I installed the factory puck system/gooseneck myself after purchasing the truck so I'm going to want to go with a hitch that utilizes that setup. My truck is a short bed, so if I went with a conventional 5th wheel hitch I'm thinkin' I'd have to go with a big heavy auto slider. I'm hoping to avoid that. This is something I'd probably only use a couple times a year, and the rest of the time I'd want it out of my bed, and I don't want to need to have to phone a friend every time I gotta put the hitch in or take it out. So I was looking at lighter simpler alternatives.

I did consider a goosebox, I see now that one of the companies makes an offset ball for the factory gooseneck which is great, but I also read goosebox setups put a lot of extra bad physics and stress on the frame of the 5th wheel which is no good either. I've been reading plenty about the trash that's rolling off RV assembly lines the past decade, and I don't want to give their garbage welds any more excuses to fail than they already have. I also happened to be talking to my father the other day about the poor build quality on new RV's, and he was a regional sales rep for a few different welding companies (Linde, Cyberweld, ESAB) for over 30 years, and he said he remembers going to Trailer factories in PA and being blown away by the garbage frame welds they were laying down on the production line.

But back on topic, I ultimately landed on the Curt Crosswing. Seems like a great solution for being lightweight and easy to use. I figured that would be the direction I would go in, until I saw some posts the other day on the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. I know these hitches are not exactly the same, but they're similar concepts of light weight easy to use setups. The Curt does look more robust, and it does weigh twice as much as the Andersen, so it may be totally fine, but I was hoping to get some opinions from those here on the forum with more 5th wheel experience. Thanks.
Looks like a decent hitch and most importantly all steel. CURT has always been pretty good quality stuff

g00fy

Reaction score
Looks like a decent hitch and most importantly all steel. CURT has always been pretty good quality stuff
Yea when I saw pictures of the Andersen I was thinking it looked like it was aluminum, and I thought, no way. Then I saw the weight and thought well, then that kinda makes sense since they're tearing and folding up.

tchur1

Reaction score
How heavy is the RV you're looking at? Most on here believe that the AUH is less than ideal for anything heavy and there are numerous failure posts on here about that hitch. @Brutal_HO just posted a bunch of photos of AUH failures in another thread.

g00fy

Reaction score
How heavy is the RV you're looking at? Most on here believe that the AUH is less than ideal for anything heavy and there are numerous failure posts on here about that hitch. @Brutal_HO just posted a bunch of photos of AUH failures in another thread.
14,000lbs, I'm not entertaining the Andersen at all, I didn't even know it existed until I saw @Brutal_HO post yesterday, but it got me concerned about the similar minimalist design of the Curt Crosswing.

texas.yankee

Reaction score
14,000lbs, I'm not entertaining the Andersen at all, I didn't even know it existed until I saw @Brutal_HO post yesterday, but it got me concerned about the similar minimalist design of the Curt Crosswing.
With your expected trailer, I would suggest going with a true 5th wheel hitch (such as the B&W Companion). It is heavy, but with good reason. IF you needed the bed space or plan to take the hitch in and out frequently (and budget isn't too much of an issue), I would say to look at the Reese GooseBox (verify it will work with you pin box on expected trailer).

The Curt is better than the Ultimate, but you will find a MUCH better ride with B&W Companion or the GooseBox with your expected 5th wheel.

I'm no expert, but I put 12,500 miles last year on my 2021 Momentum 395MS-R for experience reference.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

44Dan44

Reaction score
Something to keep in mind, the 14k rating is shipping weight of the TH, many have found that their trailers on a scale are much heavier in real life before even loading up batteries, propane, cargo. My nephew went with the 362 as well, deciding factor for him: full size residential type washer and dryer fit side by side in the TH garage, easy to duct out and vent at sidewall with a real slick and discrete vent grille/cover.
Image 3-24-23 at 2.07 AM.jpg

Truckman

Reaction score
Get a real 5th wheel hitch and forget all the gimmicks. If you have the pucks in your truck I would go with a BW that works with them.

Users who are viewing this thread