Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on getting first oil and filter change?

Hilly1

Reaction score
So here’s my dilemma got 2020 Cummins HO with around 4000 miles Currently. I’m leaving on a trip out West that will be around 4000 miles. Should I have the oil and filter changed before I leave as it would the the first or wait till I return? I’ll have about 8000 miles on the truck when I return. Thoughts? The manual says every 15,000 miles but that seems too many especially it being the trucks first oil change.

Last edited:

steve49

Reaction score
I'd probably wait till I got back and then do at the 15,000. However if your towing heavy the oil life gauge may call for a change sooner, brutal can probably answer that with the setup he tows.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd probably wait till I got back and then do at the 15,000. However if your towing heavy the oil life gauge may call for a change sooner, brutal can probably answer that with the setup he tows.

I wish I had more data... only 2156 miles to date.

Using caveman math, that would put Hilly1 at about 1/3 used and 2/3 remaining, or about 8K miles to go.

Are you towing?

Frankly, I'm not sure what the general consensus is about early/first oil changes in the new CGI engine given the CTD doesn't really have a break in requirement - although ring seat does improve. I'm just curious about what you're seeing from the ECM(?) as I have no idea how they compute that.

ETA: I just checked mine and @ 2156 it's 82% oil life, 78% fuel filter life, so mine will probably pop around 10K. I've towed about 50% of the miles.

At first glance, it seems the truck can figure out intervals based on load/use, or perhaps (probably) it's many other metrics calculated.

Last edited:

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
I did my first oil change at ~4500 miles, my next will be at 15k on the odometer (to get back on the 15k schedule), from then on whenever the EVIC tells me (seems like 15k is what it will be based on my current rate).

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I did an oil only swap at 5k miles, then did the full meal deal @ 15k miles.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I did my first oil change at ~4500 miles, my next will be at 15k on the odometer (to get back on the 15k schedule), from then on whenever the EVIC tells me (seems like 15k is what it will be based on my current rate).

I did an oil only swap at 5k miles, then did the full meal deal @ 15k miles.

Are either of you doing oil analysis?

Hilly1

Reaction score
Spoke to service advisor he thought it would be a good idea to change it before I leave as its it’s first change. Thanks for the reply’s got a appointment scheduled.

steve49

Reaction score
I had some done on my EcoDiesel when I had it, always came back good, and they said I could extend past the manuals 10,000 service. I'll do a few on the Cummins also.

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
Are either of you doing oil analysis?
I did not. I happened to be in the area of my purchasing dealer where I get free lifetime oil changes and figured why not. Servixe advisor also said thats what he would have done if it was his truck.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Aketay

Reaction score
Spoke to service advisor he thought it would be a good idea to change it before I leave as its it’s first change. Thanks for the reply’s got a appointment scheduled.
Greedy little bastards, ask them to change the air in the tires while they're at it.

Blueticks

Reaction score
So here’s my dilemma got 2020 Cummins HO with around 4000 miles Currently. I’m leaving on a trip out West that will be around 4000 miles. Should I have the oil and filter changed before I leave as it would the the first or wait till I return? I’ll have about 8000 miles on the truck when I return. Thoughts? The manual says every 15,000 miles but that seems too many especially it being the trucks first oil change.
According to my dealer, whilst it is under warranty, Chrysler requires you to change the oil/filter every 5000 miles or it may void the warranty.

Dr__Bob

Reaction score
According to my dealer, whilst it is under warranty, Chrysler requires you to change the oil/filter every 5000 miles or it may void the warranty.
Hmm... According the Diesel supplement, at least for 2019: [Bold is original] "Replace the engine oil and oil filter every 15,000 miles (24,000 km) or 12 months, or sooner if prompted by the oil change indicator system. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 15,000 miles (24,000 km) or 12 months, whichever comes first."
This is on page 93. I don't see intervals shorter than 7,500 miles in the maintenance plan.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I'm at 5500 miles and both fuel and oil filters are at 64% life left to change. I tow and travel probably 85% off the time. I've not had my first filters change done yet. I don't plan on any early filter changesunless I notice dirty oil, just sticking to the 15,000 regiment. My oil still looks clean on the stick and I occasionally treat my fuel. Fuel filter change is expensive so I always put it off until last minute and as far as first oil change goes , i just periodically check the color on the stick. I do not appear to be using more filter life since i tow so much.
15,0000. Miles
x 35% filters actually used
= 5250. Miles
I've traveled 5500, so im pretty right on schedule
Im sure I can be much more worried about it, I'm just not. The book says 15 k and never says anything about an early first change, so I stick on schedule unless I notice something off. IE: water or contaminants or black oil

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I would get ram customers care warranty dept on that because imop, that sounds like 100% complete BS. Again, just my view and how i would handle it, definitely would not take dealerships word on that our really anything for that matter.

Jimmyj321

Reaction score
Some thoughts on my first oil change. Did my first one at 5000 miles. I was glad i read the Dodge forums I belonged to. I saw where Dodge says do not use 15W-40 diesel oil. I was ready to load her up with it. I got ready to change it and I could not find the filter. I had to go back and consult the ole Youtube. Then realized I needed one of the special plugs for the filter, so I orderd two. They worked just as designed. I recently made a 800 mile round trip to Houston pulling a 18' 14,000 lb. axle trailer. Averaged 18.5 MPG going. 15.5 MPG loaded with about 3000 lbs coming back running 75 most of the way. I am pleased with truck so far.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I changed mine around the 800km mark. It was getting cold and the ‘’mystery’’ of the factory fill along with dumping the break-in expedited the situation. T6

Users who are viewing this thread