Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts after 1000 miles

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
So far the truck has been virtuallu flawless and I really like it.

It is very quiet. We drove a '16 Tradesman yesterday while they installed the running boards. There is no comparison between the two. The '19 rides better, is noticeably more quiet and the fuel economy appears to be about 1 mpg better than the 2016 2500 I owned.

The seats fit me better than any I've had in my pickups over the last few years.....and that includes a Rebeland a Laramie.

The sound system is OK and the backup camera is very clear.

Of the miles I've put on this truck, about 30% have been in town and the rest in the country or highway. One thing I've noticed is that on some hills, it will shift in and out of 8th gear. It does not do this much, but with no load on the truck and a slight incline, it will hunt some. Not a huge issue though....I just push the - button on steering wheel and block it in 7th until the top of the hill. Other than that, the 8 speed is a joy to drive. Very very smooth and the programming keeps the engine in a very efficient rpm range. I believe it will tow well.

Road noise is minimal.

I am completely satisfied with this truck!

Is there any downside to this truck?

It's tall. For someone who is on the vertically challenged side, it can be tough. That's why we installed side steps. Not much of an issue for me at 6'8", but my wife is 5'3" with some age related mobility issues, and she needed the steps.

I have a small rattle in the dash. After we return from our trip, I'll get that fixed.

Out of 20 or so pickups I've owned in my life, this one is the best! Will it stay that way? Dunno, but I hope so!

orlando bull

Reaction score
So far the truck has been virtuallu flawless and I really like it.

It is very quiet. We drove a '16 Tradesman yesterday while they installed the running boards. There is no comparison between the two. The '19 rides better, is noticeably more quiet and the fuel economy appears to be about 1 mpg better than the 2016 2500 I owned.

The seats fit me better than any I've had in my pickups over the last few years.....and that includes a Rebeland a Laramie.

The sound system is OK and the backup camera is very clear.

Of the miles I've put on this truck, about 30% have been in town and the rest in the country or highway. One thing I've noticed is that on some hills, it will shift in and out of 8th gear. It does not do this much, but with no load on the truck and a slight incline, it will hunt some. Not a huge issue though....I just push the - button on steering wheel and block it in 7th until the top of the hill. Other than that, the 8 speed is a joy to drive. Very very smooth and the programming keeps the engine in a very efficient rpm range. I believe it will tow well.

Road noise is minimal.

I am completely satisfied with this truck!

Is there any downside to this truck?

It's tall. For someone who is on the vertically challenged side, it can be tough. That's why we installed side steps. Not much of an issue for me at 6'8", but my wife is 5'3" with some age related mobility issues, and she needed the steps.

I have a small rattle in the dash. After we return from our trip, I'll get that fixed.

Out of 20 or so pickups I've owned in my life, this one is the best! Will it stay that way? Dunno, but I hope so!
On that gear hunting... When I first got my 2013 ram with the 8 speed, it did that on hills. I think the transmission learned over a little time and settled in. Either that or I didn't notice anymore. I distinctly remember thinking... Man, I just spent a bunch of money on this thing and that is going to drive me crazy. Hopefully the transmission learns your driving style and makes those shifts smoother.

Thanks for hanging in here with those of us waiting on our trucks, I appreciate the feedback you're providing.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Looking forward to what your impression is once you tow something!

Users who are viewing this thread