Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Those with leveling kits on 3500 drw

Scvette

Reaction score
I just ordered a 22 3500 drw and plan on putting a leveling kit on. I’m also planning on towing a large toy hauler 5th wheel. Does anyone that has done the leveling kit put 37s on? I’m not looking for the negative side of doing it. If the 37s are too much I’ll go with 35s. Does anyone have bed heights that have 35 or 37s. Anyone towing a 5th wheel toy hauler that has 37s on right now?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I just ordered a 22 3500 drw and plan on putting a leveling kit on. I’m also planning on towing a large toy hauler 5th wheel. Does anyone that has done the leveling kit put 37s on? I’m not looking for the negative side of doing it. If the 37s are too much I’ll go with 35s. Does anyone have bed heights that have 35 or 37s. Anyone towing a 5th wheel toy hauler that has 37s on right now?
Your biggest issue will be the clearence between the duals with wider tires other than that its just fine

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Your biggest issue will be the clearence between the duals with wider tires other than that its just fine

Eh, not exactly.

Big tires and a lift are going to require your 5th wheel to be lifted also... you'd probably need the axles flipped at a minimum or some sort of block installed worse case.

Towing our 5th wheel is the only reason i wont be lifting our dually.

anderson0172

Reaction score
I have a '21 DRW with stock suspension and tires, it does have the factory rear air. My bed rail to trailer clearance is 5.5" with the trailer level. If I lift the hitch any higher the trailer is no longer level. I wouldn't want it any less. I feel pretty certain you will have to lift the trailer.

Scvette

Reaction score
What 5th wheel do you have? I’m probably going to go with a Raptor toy hauler and I think they’re a little higher than most. As much as I want to go with 37s I’ll probably do 35s. I cancelled the air ride in my build after chatting with the guys as Carli, if I need to I’ll add airlift bags later on.

I have a '21 DRW with stock suspension and tires, it does have the factory rear air. My bed rail to trailer clearance is 5.5" with the trailer level. If I lift the hitch any higher the trailer is no longer level. I wouldn't want it any less. I feel pretty certain you will have to lift the trailer.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
What 5th wheel do you have? I’m probably going to go with a Raptor toy hauler and I think they’re a little higher than most. As much as I want to go with 37s I’ll probably do 35s. I cancelled the air ride in my build after chatting with the guys as Carli, if I need to I’ll add airlift bags later on.

Doubtful.

Mine is an Iconic toybox 35 footer and the axles are already flipped from the factory. I still dont have enough room to lift my truck without lifting the trailer even further.

The factory air ride is awesome BTW.. i wouldnt have mine any other way.

anderson0172

Reaction score
My 5er is a Jayco Eagle 357MDOK, not a toy hauler. It sits about standard height, maybe a little higher than some. I love the factory rear air, I have had aftermarket airbags on previous trucks and so far I am loving this factory air system.

BAT3500

Reaction score
Ifn you level the truck to ride level empty, what happens when you put a real load , like a fiver, load of feed, sand etc, on the back??? I use my truck to often carrying loads to even consider this option.

On the other hand, very doubtful that i could lift my truck and still have adequate clearance with my fifth wheel without lifting trailer too. Like posted above have only have 5ish inches of clearance between the bed rails and trailer. I notice this clearance gets eat up real fast when crossing inclines, wouldn't want to start with anything less.

As far as lifting the trailer, most new fivers are now built around 13' -2" tall. Just yesterday I had to pass under a 13' -10" bridge on a major US highway. No much room for lifting a trailer .... rooftop AC units are expensive and like other parts are somewhat hard to find at the the present.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Eh, not exactly.

Big tires and a lift are going to require your 5th wheel to be lifted also... you'd probably need the axles flipped at a minimum or some sort of block installed worse case.

Towing our 5th wheel is the only reason i wont be lifting our dually.
Thats easy to do though and going up 2” of tire wont really make that big of an issue, the issue of duals clearing each other while under load is a bigger issue as most people dont want to add a 2” spacer and have the one tire 1/2 way out of the fenderwell…. Lifting a camper is simple most already have the axles flipped so its just a matter of a spacer block but really 2” is not enough to worry about lifting the camper in my books i have to flip the axles on my trailer that will bring it up the 5” i need to sit close to level thats 1/2 a day job i have lifted many trailer for people

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ifn you level the truck to ride level empty, what happens when you put a real load , like a fiver, load of feed, sand etc, on the back??? I use my truck to often carrying loads to even consider this option.

On the other hand, very doubtful that i could lift my truck and still have adequate clearance with my fifth wheel without lifting trailer too. Like posted above have only have 5ish inches of clearance between the bed rails and trailer. I notice this clearance gets eat up real fast when crossing inclines, wouldn't want to start with anything less.

As far as lifting the trailer, most new fivers are now built around 13' -2" tall. Just yesterday I had to pass under a 13' -10" bridge on a major US highway. No much room for lifting a trailer .... rooftop AC units are expensive and like other parts are somewhat hard to find at the the present.
Most places 13-6 is the legal limit

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Thats easy to do though and going up 2” of tire wont really make that big of an issue, the issue of duals clearing each other while under load is a bigger issue as most people dont want to add a 2” spacer and have the one tire 1/2 way out of the fenderwell…. Lifting a camper is simple most already have the axles flipped so its just a matter of a spacer block but really 2” is not enough to worry about lifting the camper in my books i have to flip the axles on my trailer that will bring it up the 5” i need to sit close to level thats 1/2 a day job i have lifted many trailer for people

He's not going up 2" in tire, he's going up 5" in tire if talking about 37's. DRW trucks come with smaller tires than SRW.

As far as bed rail clearance with a 5th wheel. YES 2" matters, but again, we are not talking about him going up "only 2"" in tire size anyway, so the point is moot.

Also, please send me a link for the trailer spacer blocks you have used in your "many" lift installs youve done on trailers. I could use a set for my 5er,

Scvette

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I’m going to go with the 35s not the 37s. I’m hoping someone on here has already done the leveling kit with 35s just to confirm it’ll be ok. Some of the toy haulers already have the axles on top, I know the Raptor is already like that, if it’s only having to put 2” blocks on that’ll be fine.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I am well aware duallys come with 31” tires thats 5” over all increase but most 37s measure out at 36” so you divide the 5” by 2 because only whats below the center line maters so that makes 2-2.5” increase its simple math i went through this with my 01 dually that also came with 31” tires so its the same premise … also i dont have links for blocks as i make them out of square bar and just install a larger center pin that goes through the leafs and the block…. I work at a fab shop lots of people with trailer come to have axles flipped or trailers lifted its really simple stuff…. Also need 10” long u bolts instead of the 8” that it would have currently

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I’m going to go with the 35s not the 37s. I’m hoping someone on here has already done the leveling kit with 35s just to confirm it’ll be ok. Some of the toy haulers already have the axles on top, I know the Raptor is already like that, if it’s only having to put 2” blocks on that’ll be fine.
Some guys run 35s stock, you will be good with 35s and leveled for sure

Scvette

Reaction score
I stopped by the Raptor dealer, I know they’ll tell you what you want to hear. I asked him before I even said what I’m doing how high can the bed of a truck be to tow a Raptor safely. He said 62-63” will be fine. I measured my son in laws Ram dually that does not have a leveling kit on it and it was 56.5-57” to top of the bed.
Thanks for all the info everyone has given me. Now just have to deal with the long wait for my truck.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I stopped by the Raptor dealer, I know they’ll tell you what you want to hear. I asked him before I even said what I’m doing how high can the bed of a truck be to tow a Raptor safely. He said 62-63” will be fine. I measured my son in laws Ram dually that does not have a leveling kit on it and it was 56.5-57” to top of the bed.
Thanks for all the info everyone has given me. Now just have to deal with the long wait for my truck.
The leveling kit wont raise the rear anyway

Dunn08

Reaction score
You’ll be fine if you get a newer toy hauler and the axles are flipped. My 2012 3500 has a 4” lift, 2” in the back. I have. 2017 Genesis Supreme 40GS toy hauler and it sits just fine when hooked up. The Genesis supremes do sit pretty high, which is one reason I went with them. I have a 22 DRW Laramie ordered and a Carli 3 1/4” front / 2” rear lift sitting In the garage waiting for it. Going to run 35’s, even though 37s would look so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
2019 3500 with the air ride & stock size wheels/tires, and I did the 2.5" level a year ago with no issues. Air suspension compensates & makes the truck level, loaded or not. Hard to tell from this pic, but the trailer (Grand Design Solitude 380FL) also sits level.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    694 KB · Views: 32

gimmie11s

Reaction score
2019 3500 with the air ride & stock size wheels/tires, and I did the 2.5" level a year ago with no issues. Air suspension compensates & makes the truck level, loaded or not. Hard to tell from this pic, but the trailer (Grand Design Solitude 380FL) also sits level.

Those arent 37's, but good info nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread