Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the Zoo of most ram dealerships

jasonjm

Reaction score
I buy a lot of cars, and quite a few pricey cars, and I thought i was pretty good at negoiation with car dealerships (well I know I am, my lease / purchase prices are proof of it)

anyways, this will be my first ram, and my first truck, so this week I am busy getting a power wagon.

However - my mind is blown. A *large* chunk of the ram dealerships are trying to add on things like nitrogen in tires, extra flashing break lights, seat protection, and too much other junk to remember - and not for small money either, $3000 even $4000 added onto the total negotiated price.

how can *anyone* be this stupid to buy this nonsense? the fact the sales guys are pushing it though is proof that some people are buying it? do other RAM consumers not know how to just laugh and say you joking right?

the nitrogen in tires had me in total disbelief though. I had the guy repeat it to me 3 times the first time i heard it. I asked him if he knew the normal air we breath is basically 4/5 nitrogen - so what exactly does the last 1/5 achieve?
then i said since I am going to offroad this a lot - even if your 100% nitrogen was amazing (which it is 100% not), when i offroad I will probably air down the tires to 30/35 zone each time I offroad it, so do they have a nitrogen crews waiting 24/7 in the mojave desert to nitrogen tire me up every time i get back on roads? sheesh

Anyways, to cut a long story short, of the dealerships I have been to and purchased from in the last 5 years which are too many brands to name - the Ram dealerships are by FAR the most scammy and the most unprofessional, by miles. not even close (at least in the Los Angeles area).

Even the manufacturer sets it up to be scammy. there are way too many rebates, that you are not eligible for, or cancel one another out, or the 0% financing cancels this out or that out etc. The whole thing is designed to be confusing and non transparent.

Randy M

Reaction score
This is why I always speak in absolute OTD figures. They can do whatever the hell they want on their side to try to finagle a discount or coupon from FCA. I pay cash, I have the number in my mind before I go into the dealer. Sometimes I have a trade, sometimes I dont. Usually my number is very aggressive but I tend to get real close.

Distillusion

Reaction score
the nitrogen in tires had me in total disbelief though. I had the guy repeat it to me 3 times the first time i heard it. I asked him if he knew the normal air we breath is basically 4/5 nitrogen - so what exactly does the last 1/5 achieve?
then i said since I am going to offroad this a lot - even if your 100% nitrogen was amazing (which it is 100% not), when i offroad I will probably air down the tires to 30/35 zone each time I offroad it, so do they have a nitrogen crews waiting 24/7 in the mojave desert to nitrogen tire me up every time i get back on roads? sheesh
I've known guys that only put nitrogen into their tires. They hang around the racing circuits too much. Or aviation. Nitrogen doesn't change pressure so much as temperature changes. My tires drop 25 psi between summer and winter here, from 65 to 40psi, and then climb back up for summer again. I adjust them every two months. Plus, nitrogen doesn't tend to leak out of the tires as rapidly as other gasses in the atmosphere, especially water vapor. Plus nitrogen being dry, it's better on your rims, your rubber, and your valves. So yeah, the same guys that pay $15,000-$30,000 to mod their trucks will easily spend smaller amounts for stuff like nitrogen. They even buy their own bottles of it to carry in the truck...

It's not enough difference for me to consider spending the money.

jasonjm

Reaction score
I've known guys that only put nitrogen into their tires. They hang around the racing circuits too much. Or aviation. Nitrogen doesn't change pressure so much as temperature changes. My tires drop 25 psi between summer and winter here, from 65 to 40psi, and then climb back up for summer again. I adjust them every two months. Plus, nitrogen doesn't tend to leak out of the tires as rapidly as other gasses in the atmosphere, especially water vapor. Plus nitrogen being dry, it's better on your rims, your rubber, and your valves. So yeah, the same guys that pay $15,000-$30,000 to mod their trucks will easily spend smaller amounts for stuff like nitrogen. They even buy their own bottles of it to carry in the truck...

It's not enough difference for me to consider spending the money.

thats what a sane person would spend $70 on.

Distillusion

Reaction score

thats what a sane person would spend $70 on.
That's what I have. Actually, a slightly cheaper one, but it works perfectly. Plus a real air compressor in my garage.

jasonjm

Reaction score
update is i gave up on local dealerships, all seem full of nonsense. I am trying my luck at dennis dillon. Hopefully it works out.

Cberges77

Reaction score
Was pleasantly surprised by my local dealer. Went in to do my first walk around on the 2019's. What I looked at wasn't really what I wanted and they knew it. I had a trade and an OTD number in mind. Without really negotiating they immediately came down almost $10k as I started showing signs of leaving. Left with a new truck, happy with my purchase and pymt. It's all about that OTD number for me.

jasonjm

Reaction score
nope flew there and got into my new truck. just started messing around with the truck now.

just replaced the dash speakers with infinity 3.5s and rear doors with inifinity 6x9s (even though i have the harmon kardon system) - still a noticable upgrade. Might need a proper subwoofer and 1000w amp though (but for normal listeners audio is very good.

added 34+ inch nitto ridge grappler tires 305 size with 10ply. spare one DOES fit into spare tire - if you offroading for real, you need a real spare. this will be very worth it imo for offroading which i will to lots of.

forgot floor mats, added those from amazon now.

added staun tire deflators and 100psi truck pump

i think I am pretty set for now.

I understand the convience of trades, but if you have some patience and energy, a private sale should yield a little more money 95%+ of the time at least i reckon. not like these trucks are in low demand. if you have no free time or hate dealing with people then trade - BUT if you hate dealing with people you have to deal with the car dealers to get your new car so ....... lol . so i amend my opinion that trades seem a good idea yif you have no free time, or just dont care about a few grand (which i have been guilty of once in a while).

Beautiful BC

Reaction score
Interesting read.
There are no Dodge/Ram/Jeep dealers in the town where I live, but within 1.5 and 3 hours of driving there are 6 dealerships, so will see which treats me the best.

npurdy1112

Reaction score
nope flew there and got into my new truck. just started messing around with the truck now.

just replaced the dash speakers with infinity 3.5s and rear doors with inifinity 6x9s (even though i have the harmon kardon system) - still a noticable upgrade. Might need a proper subwoofer and 1000w amp though (but for normal listeners audio is very good.

added 34+ inch nitto ridge grappler tires 305 size with 10ply. spare one DOES fit into spare tire - if you offroading for real, you need a real spare. this will be very worth it imo for offroading which i will to lots of.

forgot floor mats, added those from amazon now.

added staun tire deflators and 100psi truck pump

i think I am pretty set for now.

I understand the convience of trades, but if you have some patience and energy, a private sale should yield a little more money 95%+ of the time at least i reckon. not like these trucks are in low demand. if you have no free time or hate dealing with people then trade - BUT if you hate dealing with people you have to deal with the car dealers to get your new car so ....... lol . so i amend my opinion that trades seem a good idea yif you have no free time, or just dont care about a few grand (which i have been guilty of once in a while).

Can you give more information on the "100 psi truck pump"? Brand and model please. Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread