Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The everything but - Post and discuss your TRUCK order here thread

Coonhound

Reaction score
Emissions system should be covered under warranty - (Federal Reqmt on cars - not sure about HD trucks) but my DEF system was covered on my 2015 4 years later in 2019 when pump failed - was tied up for parts for a week because of lack of parts.
I was not only pissed off but a little bit skeptical but the 13-year-old kid that was the service writer seemed confident that it wasn't covered. Didn't sound right to me either but I was passed the 36,000 mile mark. They replaced the sensor and I get back on the road and not quarter mile away things started buzzing and whistling and flashing so I went back and then they told me it must be the pump. I asked them if they were going to take the money off that I already paid for the sensor and they said they would but then they didn't when we got to the cash register. Said I already had the parts so there's nothing they were going to be able to do. Thus I am not too happy with Mountain Home Auto Ranch in Idaho.

Last edited:

Lee Iacocca

Grumpy Old Fart
Reaction score
Yes let that serve as a warning to all of you so you can avoid some problems. I would recommend not trying to stuff your DEF tank full. I did and it cost me a bunch of money which wasn't covered under warranty because they said it was part of the emission system. Had to replace a sensor and the def pump. I think it was like $650. Lucky for me I happen to be close to a Ram dealer when it happened and they got me right in and out in a couple hours. Coincidence? I don't know but I had stuffed the tank full of DEF just a couple hours before.
Federal law says the emission system is covered to 50,000 miles. Go get your money back. How do I know this, I had a temp sensor replaced in my exhaust at 49,480………

Last edited:

Tyadcock

Reaction score
What company makes the best bed cover for the best price? I prefer the ones like bakflip makes. I know it has been mentioned in here several times, I just don't remember which one.

Tyadcock

Reaction score
Is anyone having an issue with connectivity on the mobile hot spot in the truck? For some reason my truck connects to my phone and shows a WIFI connection but has the ! mark next to it meaning no internet. It also doesn't show up as the name of my trucks WIFI. I try to "forget" it and search for the WIFI that my truck says is the name but it doesn't pop up and just reconnects to the one that doesnt have wifi. I also turn my WIFI off on my phone and somehow my truck turns it back on and reconnects itself. I have tried calling connected services but they either call me back when I am not around my phone or don't call. Even though they have agreed to call me at a certain time several times but never do. I can't figure it out for the life of me.

tnpete

Reaction score
Guys if you have the Diesel. Be sure to pick up a jug of DEF. Had no ideal there was run on it. But mine was getting close to 1/4th tank. Took a while to find any in stock. Read there's a shortage on it, even in other country's.
Every time I buy something, this happens.. My first Diesel 2004 cheap fuel for a couple of months. That was when Diesel was always cheaper then Gas. 3 months later it was $0.85 higher then gas. Now buy one that takes DEF, you got it going to be a shortage and prices are going to shoot through the roof.
Sad part we can't just stock up on this mess. As it can go bad, then cost $$$$ to fix the outcome of using bad DEF.

Also oil, buddy of mine owns a Diesel shop for OTR trucks. He's having issues ordering skids of oil. So when the shops find it tough to get diesel oil. You know were in for it also.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW, DO NOT OVER FILL THE DEF TANK!! THERE'S LOTS OF OWNERS FINDING IT WILL THROW IT INTO LIMP MODE.

Scubaz66

Reaction score
Guys if you have the Diesel. Be sure to pick up a jug of DEF. Had no ideal there was run on it. But mine was getting close to 1/4th tank. Took a while to find any in stock. Read there's a shortage on it, even in other country's.
Every time I buy something, this happens.. My first Diesel 2004 cheap fuel for a couple of months. That was when Diesel was always cheaper then Gas. 3 months later it was $0.85 higher then gas. Now buy one that takes DEF, you got it going to be a shortage and prices are going to shoot through the roof.
Sad part we can't just stock up on this mess. As it can go bad, then cost $$$$ to fix the outcome of using bad DEF.

Also oil, buddy of mine owns a Diesel shop for OTR trucks. He's having issues ordering skids of oil. So when the shops find it tough to get diesel oil. You know were in for it also.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW, DO NOT OVER FILL THE DEF TANK!! THERE'S LOTS OF OWNERS FINDING IT WILL THROW IT INTO LIMP MODE.
I think this has a lot to do with Pandemic Panic like everything else. As soon as the media says there's a shortage on something masses go and clean out the shelves. As soon as the media identified shortages on computer chips, everyone automatically decided they needed a new vehicle even if their current vehicle was only a year or two old. This automatically creates a frenzy an ups the price on vehicles. I purchased because I currently drive a 2004 model and I'm in need of a new vehicle because this one is starting to cost me too much in maintenance.

dperry149

Reaction score

My personal opinion is that someone is behind the scenes attempting to destroy the oil industry. (not to turn this into a political (debate). But I'm starting to second guess my order all together. ordered on 9/8, built 11/10, sitting in Mexico since. Ram just keeps push my ETA delivery date further out. That being said there is really nothing else out there to buy right now. And I dont see shortages anywhere else. the shelves in my area are well stocked.

Lee Iacocca

Grumpy Old Fart
Reaction score
After reading the post about DEF fluid I just took it with a grain of salt (no pun intended), then while driving today I heard a business report on stocks and it was mentioned. It is apparently quite real, Russia and China, the latter being the major exporter, are cranking back and halting the export of the product due to it being a major fertilizer. Stocking up with a short shelf life is futile, except for the next few months due to the fact that some bought today are already close to expiration. Always check the date on it when you purchase. The good news is there is no shortage of DEF Leppard…..

Amazon is 4 for $98, local auto stores are $18 a container, 2.5 Gallon.

Last edited:

Jtwes

Reaction score

This is one of the many pros and cons I considered between a gas and diesel. I ended up with the hemi after really thinking it over and I realized 90 % of why I wanted a diesel had more to do with ego than my driving habits. I plugged my vin in the ram tow rating and came up with 16,930.28 lbs Towing.

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
This is one of the many pros and cons I considered between a gas and diesel. I ended up with the hemi after really thinking it over and I realized 90 % of why I wanted a diesel had more to do with ego than my driving habits. I plugged my vin in the ram tow rating and came up with 16,930.28 lbs Towing.

More reasons to go diesel than just tow rating.

Exhaust brake is a huge one for me living out west in the mountains. If you’ve ever fought a trailer down a mountain riding your brakes and trying to keep it slowed via transmission alone…like I said exhaust brake almost worth it alone.

Grey65

Reaction score

Each situation is different.. if you drive less than 20 miles then the 6.4L is the way to go as the 6.7L doesn't like short trips. If you need the payload then the 6.4L is the way to go. But if neither of those come into play then I would venture to say that the 6.7L is the way to go because the break even point for the extra cost of the 6.7L is at a hair less than 40,000 miles when you factor in the extra MPG's and the extra value at trade-in of the 6.7L..... So anything beyond 40,000 miles with the 6.7L is free money..

No one should take this as me bashing the 6.4L.. As you can see I currently have a 6.4L and I have a 6.7L on order.. My needs have changed, I tow long distances now and I tow in the Rocky Mountains....

Scubaz66

Reaction score
I'm with you on that front! I too wanted a diesel especially given the tow rating. Have always owned gas. After thinking how long it would be before I accidentally fueled with gas out of habit (60 years) or forgot to fill the DEF tank or forgot about the fuel water separator and all the other maintenance that comes with owning a diesel like expensive oil changes, I decided to purchase the Hemi 6.4L since I only tow a few times a year. Given diesel engines have become more of a norm these days it only makes sense the price of diesel has soared past gas and now with the government mandates on cleaner air and the addition of DEF for diesels we have yet another commodity needed which for the most part is once again controlled by foreign adversaries. When will we learn as a nation to take care of ourselves? The Chip Factor has placed us yet again depending on foreign adversaries and look where we are trying to get our trucks built and delivered. I won't continue the rant because it could defiantly become a political issue and I'm not interested in going there! I just want my truck....LOL

Bruno Diesel

Reaction score

Truck stop at the pump

Coonhound

Reaction score
DEF:
Here's a few tips. As previously mentioned, the cheapest way I know to purchase the stuff is at the truck stop pumps. Roll up with the semis, run in and tell the cashier, DEF on pump #5 or whatever. It's cheaper and better than buying it in a plastic, throw away jug. Here's another tip: If you buy a couple jugs, refill them at the truck stop so you have a couple in the garage. On long road trips and hunting trips, it's not a bad idea to take a full jug along just in case. YES, you can get bad DEF at truck stops but quality control has improved. Only happened to me once in 450,000 miles of traveling in 5 years. Didn't cause me any real problems but I've heard a few stories. It is mostly a liquid fertilizer that's been used in no till farming for a long time. Mid Western farmers buy Uria by the tank load.

On a different note, the fold up seats on the CC long bed WITH the fold flat cargo area. As previously mentioned, great for throwing down a blanket and the dog bed so Pluto stays off your seats. The cloth seats seem to hold onto pet hair like Velcro. Also a really good use for that fold flat goodie: put a crib mattress down and sleep in your truck. You can also find someone to make a custom mattress out of foam pad and stitch a cover on it. You can buy all different thickness and stiffness and have it cut to your own specs. There's a business in Portland Oregon that does it. Truck drivers and hunters will do this. You can have one made for your pickup too. I'm 6"1 so it's not super comfortable but me and the wife got cozy many times and made it work, saving thousands of dollars on hotel costs.

Last edited:

Coonhound

Reaction score
More reasons to go diesel than just tow rating.

Exhaust brake is a huge one for me living out west in the mountains. If you’ve ever fought a trailer down a mountain riding your brakes and trying to keep it slowed via transmission alone…like I said exhaust brake almost worth it alone.
I'm at 167,000 miles, mostly towing and still on factory brakes. I think my 2015 made it to 230,000.

Lee Iacocca

Grumpy Old Fart
Reaction score
Major fertilizer, for what, something else they are shipping here for us to eat? It's corrosive as he'll, basically uric acid.
I assume you’re joking? It’s first use is for fertilizer, not DEF. We are talking about Urea, water and pee.
Not meaning to sound abrasive, which I am sure this came across, sorry.

Last edited:

Coonhound

Reaction score
Never said anything about ruining brakes….
Yeah but you mentioned the exhaust brake. One of the benefits of the exhaust brake is you use your actual brakes much less. You can save them for when you really need them going down a long grade, getting pushed by a trailer. I usually lock my transmission in like 4th gear and run the exhaust brake all the way down the hill. Often I wouldn't hardly touch the brake pedal with trailers weighing over 20,000lbs and up to 27,000lbs. Cabbage Hill, Donner, Grapevine, Mt. Ashland etc. Another good use for the exhaust brake is warming your truck up faster on a cold morning. For those that don't know, if you turn it on when starting the truck on a cold morning, it warms the engine up faster.

Last edited:

matemike

Reaction score
the break even point for the extra cost of the 6.7L is at a hair less than 40,000 miles when you factor in the extra MPG's and the extra value at trade-in of the 6.7L..... So anything beyond 40,000 miles with the 6.7L is free money..
our figures differ a little.

post #19

I got 200,000 miles being the break even point. But man oh man is it worth it for it's capabilities, really can't put a price on that.

kwick66

Reaction score
I'm at 167,000 miles, mostly towing and still on factory brakes. I think my 2015 made it to 230,000.
@Coonhound
I switched my oem Duramax pads at 10 years and 140k Miles just because they had never been done. They Still had about 40% remaining.
This new truck will be my first Ram, and I’ve seen a few times on this thread that guys are switching out brake pads at 50-70k. Thanks for posting this, gives me some faith knowing that it’s likely poor driving habits that cause this.
i am looking forward to the exhaust brake feature, I use the tow/haul on my GM every time I drive it.

Users who are viewing this thread