Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The dreaded P218F CEL....

MegaStro

Reaction score
First long trip hauling a pretty good load and everything was going great, then we started our 2nd leg of the trip and bam! CEL! P218F-00 (Reductant No Flow) according to the local dealer. They cleared it and it was gone for 24 miles and then popped again. Can I get one trip to Wisconsin without having to go to the dealer please? My previous diesel did the same thing for O2 sensors... So I guess we finish the final 700 mile leg with a CEL on, if it goes to limp mode I will blow up the roadside assistance for trip interruption. 10,000 miles and this is what I get... Not happy about it!

MegaStro

Reaction score
Making the 700 mile trek back home in the morning, a day early because I have to plan for further issues with my new truck giving us Friday as an extra travel date incase this thing decides it needs limp mode... @RamCares , how do I get trip interruption for a failure? I have all the warranties (factory and Maxcare)..

tyler2you

Reaction score
Save all of your receipts . . . you'll need to mail the repair bill and receipts for hotel, meals, and transportation to the address in your warranty contract. Be prepared to wait several weeks for reimbursement and possibly need to provide additional info.

If it's a Ziegler factory warranty, you have to be at least 100 miles away from home and the vehicle has to be kept overnight for repairs. I had an alternator go out several years ago on a trip. We called ahead and the dealer was going to be closed by the time the tow truck got it to them. We left it at the dealer around 7 pm and put the key in the drop box. The invoice for the warranty repair showed them taking the vehicle in the next morning and returning it to us that same afternoon. After getting a rejection on the trip interruption reimbursement, I had to get USAA to track down the invoice from the tow company and get the dealer to explain the repair timeline. I eventually got reimbursed, but it took several months.

Riddick

Reaction score
As long as you are driving the truck I don't think it will go into limp mode. Once the countdown reaches 0 the next time you start the truck it will go into limp mode. Keep moving and you will be good, worst case drive it home and then have Ram pay for the tow bill to the dealer.

MegaStro

Reaction score
As long as you are driving the truck I don't think it will go into limp mode. Once the countdown reaches 0 the next time you start the truck it will go into limp mode. Keep moving and you will be good, worst case drive it home and then have Ram pay for the tow bill to the dealer.
No count down at this point, just a hard CEL. Burning fuel and DEF with no issues. Debit card can prove that. RAMBOX issue on drivers side (wont central lock 100% of the time).

MegaStro

Reaction score
Well we made it back and I can say I am VERY tired of staring at the CEL... Stewed about this all day, especially when stuck in stand still traffic in Illinois. Then to top it off, some idiot in a lifted Ferd F-250 blocks me at the gas station and then pumps gas.... There is 24 gas pumps and 4 Diesel but this D-Bag had to block me!

Riddick

Reaction score
Well we made it back and I can say I am VERY tired of staring at the CEL... Stewed about this all day, especially when stuck in stand still traffic in Illinois. Then to top it off, some idiot in a lifted Ferd F-250 blocks me at the gas station and then pumps gas.... There is 24 gas pumps and 4 Diesel but this D-Bag had to block me!

:p

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Making the 700 mile trek back home in the morning, a day early because I have to plan for further issues with my new truck giving us Friday as an extra travel date incase this thing decides it needs limp mode... @RamCares , how do I get trip interruption for a failure? I have all the warranties (factory and Maxcare)..
Hey MegaStro,

We're terribly sorry to hear of the troubles you're experiencing. We'd like to dig into this with you. If you wouldn't mind, please send us a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

MegaStro

Reaction score
Got the beast back an hour ago. There were two software updates available, not sure what they were for exactly. The CEL was cleared after they replaced the (injector-diesel exhaust fluid) on the DEF system and they also had to replace an actuator on my drivers side RAMBOX, it would lock sometimes and not others regardless of method (remote or button). Appeared to be a weak actuator in the RAMBOX.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I've had to train my wife not to block diesel pumps :)

Users who are viewing this thread