Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Corgi's BattleWagon Gets 35's

jetrinka

Reaction score
Finally bit the bullet and put 35's on it! We call it the BattleWagon. Long story short the Corgi was thought of in Welsh folklore as a steed for fairys to ride into battle. So we figured our Corgi Gus would need something to take to the battle and named it his BattleWagon lol.

Anyway. I can instantly see why people switch immediately from the stockers to 35's because they look amazing. Tire is BFGoodrich 315/70R17 which measures a bit smaller than a true 35" tire which I am ok with. I was going back and forth between the General AT/X and the Falken Wildpeak but I've just had so much experience with the BFG over the years I knew I would like it.

Initially I was running the stock Goodyears in the summer and then I had another set of wheels with some studded Cooper snow tires on them which worked ok but I wasn't happy with them. The Goodyears IMO just really were horrible at most everything. I had them once on a Grand Cherokee and didn't like them then either. They seemed to wander all over the place, had horrible wet traction, etc. The snow tires were great in the snow but due to the excessively heavy truck, on bare pavement they were sooooo squishy. They also were not wearing well at all and were taking a visible beating from the weight of the truck. So I decided to upgrade to something that would be a good compromise year round and look better to boot.

Gus is very happy with the decision.

image3.jpegimage2.jpegimage1.jpegimage0.jpeg

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
That's the way it should have come from the factory.
I swapped mine at 200 miles, only because I had to wait for my shop to get them and get me in. ;)

jadmt

Reaction score
I just switched back to stock for a change of pace..and I actually am loving how it feels.
Not so much how it looks :) but sure feels good.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I just switched back to stock for a change of pace..and I actually am loving how it feels.
Not so much how it looks :) but sure feels good.
haha yes "off the line" is certainly a bit different.

I am kind of liking how they feel though - I am sure its mainly just a better tire but the truck just feels planted, more sure-footed and more deliberate about everything.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Not gonna lie, I thought the PW had 35s from the factory before this post. You should get some custom Corgi battle wagon logos for it. Maybe a corgo riding a PW, or a corgi with a viking helmet or something…

IowaPW

Reaction score
@jetrinka...assume this is w/o any suspension modifications...the stance looks awesome.

jetrinka

Reaction score
@jetrinka...assume this is w/o any suspension modifications...the stance looks awesome.

Thanks I like it too!

And yes no suspension mods at all.
IMO it works perfect how it is and is high enough. Just needed some larger rubber to fill out the wheel wells better.

I love how it turned out. Gus is wondering why it’s parked and not off on some logging road right now

2C723A14-18E4-4117-8BEA-C5874EC95F2E.jpeg

Last edited:

IowaPW

Reaction score
Funny...we have a Min Pin...his name is also Gus.

Attachments

• 20210126_171529.jpg
    20210126_171529.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 8

KnuckleHead

Reaction score
Finally bit the bullet and put 35's on it! We call it the BattleWagon. Long story short the Corgi was thought of in Welsh folklore as a steed for fairys to ride into battle. So we figured our Corgi Gus would need something to take to the battle and named it his BattleWagon lol.

Anyway. I can instantly see why people switch immediately from the stockers to 35's because they look amazing. Tire is BFGoodrich 315/70R17 which measures a bit smaller than a true 35" tire which I am ok with. I was going back and forth between the General AT/X and the Falken Wildpeak but I've just had so much experience with the BFG over the years I knew I would like it.

Initially I was running the stock Goodyears in the summer and then I had another set of wheels with some studded Cooper snow tires on them which worked ok but I wasn't happy with them. The Goodyears IMO just really were horrible at most everything. I had them once on a Grand Cherokee and didn't like them then either. They seemed to wander all over the place, had horrible wet traction, etc. The snow tires were great in the snow but due to the excessively heavy truck, on bare pavement they were sooooo squishy. They also were not wearing well at all and were taking a visible beating from the weight of the truck. So I decided to upgrade to something that would be a good compromise year round and look better to boot.

Gus is very happy with the decision.
Might be a stupid question, but is there a reason you went with 315/70R17 instead of 35x12.5x17"? I will probably be doing the same this soon so just wondering if there was a reason to do one over the other. And what about your spare, did you just stay with stock or did you get a KO2 spare as well?

jetrinka

Reaction score
Might be a stupid question, but is there a reason you went with 315/70R17 instead of 35x12.5x17"? I will probably be doing the same this soon so just wondering if there was a reason to do one over the other. And what about your spare, did you just stay with stock or did you get a KO2 spare as well?
I went with that size for a couple main reasons. The 1st was availability. The 315's were available and the 35's were not. The 315 and 35", at least the BFG's are also exactly the same outer diameter at 34.4" (they run smaller than other 35's) Which leads me into another (albeit smaller) reason was that the 315's are slightly narrower than the 35's. (9.9" vs 10.2" tread width listed on Tirerack.com's specs page) I liked this due to less chance rubbing anything offroad as well as I've always preferred a slightly narrower footprint tire in on-road snow and such. Not as good in deep stuff where floating up on top is good but that is not hardly any of the driving I do.

Yes I also replaced the spare. It was a bit of a bugger getting up there but was able to do it and left it inflated to only 30PSI to make it a bit smaller overall. If I need to use it I have a compressor in the truck I can inflate it with when I need.

And don't worry about stupid questions - I have stupid questions ALL THE TIME. lol:D;):) Luckily people on this forum are usually patient and very eager to help.

KnuckleHead

Reaction score
I went with that size for a couple main reasons. The 1st was availability. The 315's were available and the 35's were not. The 315 and 35", at least the BFG's are also exactly the same outer diameter at 34.4" (they run smaller than other 35's) Which leads me into another (albeit smaller) reason was that the 315's are slightly narrower than the 35's. (9.9" vs 10.2" tread width listed on Tirerack.com's specs page) I liked this due to less chance rubbing anything offroad as well as I've always preferred a slightly narrower footprint tire in on-road snow and such. Not as good in deep stuff where floating up on top is good but that is not hardly any of the driving I do.

Yes I also replaced the spare. It was a bit of a bugger getting up there but was able to do it and left it inflated to only 30PSI to make it a bit smaller overall. If I need to use it I have a compressor in the truck I can inflate it with when I need.

And don't worry about stupid questions - I have stupid questions ALL THE TIME. lol:D;):) Luckily people on this forum are usually patient and very eager to help.
Great, thanks. Guess I made my decision then. I like wider, so the 35 it is with a spare. I too have a compressor so if I need to deflate, no biggie.

Its interesting to hear you felt like the GYs wonder. I get that feeling too but I assumed it was just the bigger truck (came from a 1500 (with KO2's)). It would be outstanding if that feeling went away with KO2s.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Great, thanks. Guess I made my decision then. I like wider, so the 35 it is with a spare. I too have a compressor so if I need to deflate, no biggie.

Its interesting to hear you felt like the GYs wonder. I get that feeling too but I assumed it was just the bigger truck (came from a 1500 (with KO2's)). It would be outstanding if that feeling went away with KO2s.

Yes I do feel like they wandered more - but keep in mind I am admittedly a very picky/sensitive driver who has spent way to much time thinking about/adjusting things like the drag link for the steering wheel angle and tire pressure. I do feel like the BFG's wander a bit less but I don't believe its going to be a night and day difference to anyone.

Someone like me who wants a straight driving/non-wandering vehicle should have bought a IFS truck - not a solid front axle Ram :p

IowaPW

Reaction score
You inspired me...ordered some 315s last night. :)

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Looks great... wouldn't mind a set of 6 on my dually. The BFG AT is still a great looking tire.

Users who are viewing this thread