Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Testing 2500 Diesel Flex

Lumpskie

Reaction score
So, I'm really interested in comparing my AEV Prospector (stock 2500 springs) to power wagons to learn more about what limits and increases articulation. I saw a video on Youtube of a power wagon climbing an RTI ramp. It reached 23.5 inches of height bone stock. I did a similar test this morning on my Ram. With stock springs and front swaybar attached, I climbed 16.5 inches. I pulled an end link off and retried. This time I got 19.5 inches. I measured the bump stop clearance at all 4 corners for each test. Here's the breakdown:

Swaybar Connected: 16.5"

Front:
Compressed side - 1.5" to bump stop
Extended side - 3.25" to bump
Difference: 1.75"

Rear:
Compressed side: 1.5" to Bump Stop
Extended side: 7" to bump stop
Difference 5.5"

Lesson Learned: Front sway bar is much stiffer than the rear...

xSfamKYh.jpg

daXOE5Zh.jpg

Test 2 - Swaybar Disconnected: 19.5"

Front:
Compressed Side - 1.25" to bump stop (.25" improvement)
Extended side - 4" to bump stop (.75" improvement)

Seems like the front springs might be a little stiff?

Rear:
Compressed side - 1.75" to bump stop (.25 reduction in compression)
Extended Side - 7" to bump stop (no change)

zVSZPhrh.jpg

Overall: It seems like the rear end moves pretty well but the front might be a little stiff... That being said, it seems like, even with the small flex I'm experimenting with, bushing in the radius and control arms might be reaching the end of their travel:

Does it seem like we might be getting some deflection of the radius arm down its longitudinal axis here?
xEdeDnBh.jpg

Looking at the rear bushing, it seems like there might be a little more movement available before it is fully bound up:
wYQHWOZh.jpg

So, here's where you knowledgeable guys can help me by answering my question:

Are the power wagon radius arms and standard diesel 2500 radius arms identical? (If so, I would be looking at softer front springs. If not, I might be seeing radius arm bind)

Also, power wagon owners, have any of you RTI ramped your rig? How high were you able to climb?

Thanks, in advance, for all of your help,

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Are the power wagon radius arms and standard diesel 2500 radius arms identical? (If so, I would be looking at softer front springs. If not, I might be seeing radius arm bind)

No, the power wagons have “articulink” radius arms. We just recently had a discussion here about them.

Truck looks good and Truck flexes pretty good for being designed for hauling heavy loads safely, imho

Lumpskie

Reaction score
No, the power wagons have “articulink” radius arms. We just recently had a discussion here about them.

Truck looks good and Truck flexes pretty good for being designed for hauling heavy loads safely, imho

Thanks for this information! So, feel free to call me an idiot... I googled and tried to figure out if the articulink radius arms would fit on a standard 2500... I couldn't find anything. Have you heard of anyone trying that? (I believe that standard Ram and the Power Wagon have different front axles, are the power wagon housings different or just the internals?)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread