Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tesla now taking pre-order down payments for the Tesla Semi

waveslayer

Reaction score
How many have them on the truck? Hopefully it is released before I'm dead

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
It seems like a good idea. I could see the fed (Biden) subsidizing these and the big trucking companies buying in to it.

Phil T

Reaction score
I bet that Caterpillar will be making a ton of money selling tow-able diesel generators.

woody284

Reaction score
I’m not a trucker but have talked to a bunch over the years at trucks stops or working wrecks. Time is money for these guys especially the owner operators. A 300 or 500 mile range on the Tesla isn’t going to make them happy. Even at the 500 mile range at 60 miles driven per hour is only 8 hours. I wonder how long the charging process is? I can not remember if it was on here or elsewhere about the electric HD pulling the fifth wheel. The normal day trip took 3 or 4 days because he had to stop and charge.

I’m a fan of the Tesla as I think they have their place. Just don’t think the tech is up to heavy hauling yet.

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
I’m not a trucker but have talked to a bunch over the years at trucks stops or working wrecks. Time is money for these guys especially the owner operators. A 300 or 500 mile range on the Tesla isn’t going to make them happy. Even at the 500 mile range at 60 miles driven per hour is only 8 hours. I wonder how long the charging process is? I can not remember if it was on here or elsewhere about the electric HD pulling the fifth wheel. The normal day trip took 3 or 4 days because he had to stop and charge.

I’m a fan of the Tesla as I think they have their place. Just don’t think the tech is up to heavy hauling yet.
Tesla said they can get 400 miles charging in the required 30 min break time…. It their video also pushed that 80% of routes were less than 250 miles, so they could get there and back with no problem.

They also pitched truckers charging while the truck was being unloaded.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

These are targeted at short route and local delivery fleet ops, so they will work charge cycle into their route planning. Think beverage delivery trucks, SYSCO Foods, etc.

woody284

Reaction score
These are targeted at short route and local delivery fleet ops, so they will work charge cycle into their route planning. Think beverage delivery trucks, SYSCO Foods, etc.
I could see that working in that capacity. Much like I think there passenger car market is the same way. In town commutes and city driving. My 8 year old is fascinated with the Teslas and I get most of my knowledge about them from him watching videos. I’m in for it when he get 16, he is all about cars and trucks and has expensive taste.

RHINO69

Reaction score
Exactly. I work for a trucking company and we are considering reserving a few (5-15). We would use these to consolidate freight within X distance of our terminal(s). That freight would then be consolidated and pulled (east or west) by a diesel truck.

These present a good opportunity for existing carriers to create a "spin off" company, utilizing "green" advertising tactics and drumming up more business while possibly receiving incentives from the fed. But when it comes down to it, most freight will continue to be pulled by diesel tractors, until the range of the Tesla Semi exceeds 1K miles. Also, I dont believe Tesla has their charging network/infrastructure integrated with any major truck stops along the nations most utilized routes, yet.

Nick

Reaction score
Cummins will have a hydrogen powered 15 liter engine on the road by 27 . Smarter way to go long hauling . Electric will be ok for delivering short haul and local . Subsidized means taxpayers pay which sucks !

Users who are viewing this thread