Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrible warranty/service experience

Linked4door

Reaction score
Not sure if its just the dealerships in my area or FCA has a whole, but this is absolutely insane. I have a noise on my 2022 3500, took it to the dealership last week (5-2-22) . I had the tech ride with me to make sure he knew what was going on, and he said he can hear the noise but it was completely normal. He went on to say all Cummins trucks make that noise going back to 2017. I told him my 2019 didn't make that noise nor did any of the 100-200 Cummins truck that came through the shop I work at. He agreed to look at it further. I was told FCA refused to do any further diagnosis due to my Banks intake manifold on 5-6-22. Instead of arguing with them I swapped the factory intake back over this weekend and dropped the truck back off on 5-9-22. They said they couldn't look at it until 5-11 at 8am so made an appointment for then and left the truck. Now I call the dealership back and was told they aren't sure if they have even looked at the truck again let alone reopen the case with Chrysler to see what their next steps are with the star case. The service advisor refuses to follow up or call me back and doesn't seem like I can switch service advisors after talking to the Mgr. Was also advised by the shop per FCA they are not required to provide any rental or loaner vehicle and its at the shops desecration. The Mgr said even if its covered under warranty (not sure why it wouldn't be), he doesn't know if he can provide a rental or loaner vehicle. With all the parts delays I would be better off ordering a new truck before I get mine back if it needs a motor. My truck has never been tuned and only had a banks intake on it for a month or two.

A different dealership I went to with my 2019 wouldn't even look at the truck for a water leak (under 8k miles on that truck). tried 3 other dealerships and all refused to provide any rental or loaner vehicle. After speaking with FCA and filing a corporate complaint, I was basically told dealerships have the right to refuse any warranty work for any reason. What is the point of a warranty on a $90k truck if you don't get a rental, dealership doesn't have to do repairs, and doesn't have to even have to look at it to diagnose? I have owned nothing but Mopar's since my first Dakota in 2004, but I am on the verge of selling this truck and switching brands.

END RANT......

Last edited:

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
its par for the dealer network course.

whats the current noise you have..?

Linked4door

Reaction score

whats the current noise you have..?
Metallic noise only under load. Loudest between 1500 and 2k ram. Too quiet to pick up on my phone when trying to record it. Rhe mic only picks up on the normal sound of a diesel. Another member has a similar issue with a failed torque converter

@JC

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that. My dealer was outstanding in diagnosing and repairing the body grinding/creaking I was getting going over bumps a year in to my PW ownership. Took it in, drove it sort of heard it but more believed my description than anything, hooked it up to frame mics and found the issue was defective body mounts. Got a complimentary loaner and they replaced all of them under warranty. No further issues.

Will_T

Reaction score
Not sure if its just the dealerships in my area or FCA has a whole,

I was basically told dealerships have the right to refuse any warranty work for any reason.

I have seen a few post that they have been happy with their dealer service. But the vast majority are in the same boat as you. Ram in particular seems to have a problem with warranty service. It is a cost of business for them and the dealers and they just don't want to do it.

I am not sure that they can refuse warranty service outright? But our close by dealers sure do make it hard for you to get it. They just delay, delay, delay. Don't return your calls to schedule service. If you do get a scheduler it will be months before they will even look at it. My local dealer said they only schedule a few warranty appointments per week regardless of how not busy the shop might be or not be. So those appointments get pushed out pretty far. I currently have a leaking shock at 4,000 miles and they are doing all they can to make me go elsewhere and pay for it myself. When I had to schedule an appointment for the grid heater recall, the first appointment they would give me was about 3 months out. When I took the truck in to the same dealer the next day for quick lube service, the service writer told me about the recall. I told him about the appointment scheduled for 3 months away and he rolled his eyes and said: "I've got techs standing around looking for something to do. We will get the recall done after your oil change".

I kept the 3 months out appointment for the recall anyway in case I needed it for something. Indeed, the shock failed. I called and told them I still had the recall appt. and did not need it but would bring the truck in at that time so the shock could be inspected. I was told "No, you can't do that". I asked why and was told that they were different types of appointments, requiring different skill levels of tech so the appt. could not be changed in any way. I then asked what was different that required different techs and was told a shock is much more complicated an issue than the recall so the only thing they could do was cancel my recall appt. that I did not need, and schedule me a new appointment to get the shock inspected. It is so bad that it would be comical if it was not so pathetic. You would be hard pressed to write a script for worse customer service than our local dealers provide.

Last edited:

Linked4door

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that. My dealer was outstanding in diagnosing and repairing the body grinding/creaking I was getting going over bumps a year in to my PW ownership. Took it in, drove it sort of heard it but more believed my description than anything, hooked it up to frame mics and found the issue was defective body mounts. Got a complimentary loaner and they replaced all of them under warranty. No further issues.
Super jealous of you right now

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
not many situations where a customer is delighted, on average. if you found one, keep sending them xmas cards.

@JC

Reaction score
I have seen a few post that they have been happy with their dealer service. But the vast majority are in the same boat as you. Ram in particular seems to have a problem with warranty service. It is a cost of business for them and the dealers and they just don't want to do it.
Not minimizing anyone's issues but you are going to see and hear at least 100:1 (probably 1000:1...) complaints to congrats anywhere, that's just human nature, but it's especially amplified on internet message boards.

Will_T

Reaction score
Not minimizing anyone's issues but you are going to see and hear at least 100:1 (probably 1000:1...) complaints to congrats anywhere, that's just human nature, but it's especially amplified on internet message boards.
I was not just referring to online. Once I had my truck, I started asking any late model Ram owners I came across locally what their experiences were with our local dealer and the next nearest one about 35 miles away. I probably asked 25 or 30 owners over the past year. The responses were virtually 100% negative with a couple non-commitive. None were positive. Several had absolute horror stories, worse than anything I have seen online. They all loved their trucks though. Just wanted to be able to get them serviced as promised when they purchased. And to have the dealer at least pretend to care about customer service and the quality of their technicians.

Last edited:

Linked4door

Reaction score
Two weeks later they said rhe noise isn't loud enough for them to make any repair attempts or further diagnose it. Really sucks since this thing only gets driven going out of state for storm work towing a trailer with generators, or hauling cars. Going to be expensive when it breaks down.

RammingSince91

Reaction score
Just found this thread. I also have that same noise after my first oil change at 9800 miles on my 2021 CTD limited megacab. I took it in May 2nd. They found metal shavings in my transmission and thought that was the culprit. New transmission and transmission cooler installed 3 weeks later and then I get a call saying the noise is still there. They said its coming from the lifters and sent an audio recording to FCA and escalated it to a star case. FCA finally got back to them saying that the noise is normal and I need to drive it for a while for the noise to go away. It is not normal at all. I asked what is considered a "while?" They said about 4000 miles. Spent $90k for a truck that probably is not safe to drive. They want me to pick my truck up and drive it. Not going to do that especially since I have a 1 year old and if the truck breaks down on the side of the highway with 100 degree weather (where I live) it will not be pretty.

Let me know what happens with yours.. I'm seeing quite a few people with the same issue.

Users who are viewing this thread