Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrible Towing pics thread

wrvond

Reaction score
Any of you farmer types know how much those bales would weigh each ? I guess thats a Chev half ton ?
Even the tires on the trailer look stressed out

Our round bales weigh about 1500 pounds each, though they can weigh more or less. You can also only fit them one wide on the trailer usually. So you're looking at between 13,000 and 15,000 pounds in hay alone there.
There's so much they could do to improve that rig - add an axle and move them all closer to the tongue would be a good start. I won't judge their choice of tow vehicle since I don't know anything about their circumstances (terrain, distance etc.) but yeah, a 3500 would be my choice.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
5x6 bales are typically 1200-1400, sometimes more, but those look like 4x6 bales so more like 1000-1100. They look flush to the side of the trailer. If they were big bales they'd be hanging over a foot on each side. Funny thing, when you're buying hay the bales might weigh 1000# but when guys are baling for their own use, they might be 1500+.

I've been hauling 17 big bales lately with a gooseneck and my truck doesn't even appear to be slightly stressed. Having the right trailer for the job is king regardless of what truck you're using. I wouldn't even want that tag full of hay behind my dually, let alone that truck.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
So I'm guessing there was a driver along for the ride? I bet he had his seat pumped up and his seatbelt on tight!

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
The “cardboard guy” who used to pick up from me when I ran a retail store had a truck like this but dually. He always said he could tell it was full when the mud flaps touched the ground. Except the mud flaps were worn like 3/4 of the way down. I never did have to pay for a cardboard dumpster, though.

2001WS6

Reaction score
Caught at my local Lowes.

78RONgR.jpg

2001WS6

Reaction score
Im not going to lie thats not as bad as i would have thought but that 8.8 axle was likely screaming!

It's probably just me but I would rent a trailer if I didn't have one or make two trips. God forbid one of you guys are waiting for me in the parking lot with your phone waiting to take a pic. :p

Now the teenage me would do what's in the picture. :)

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Caught at my local Lowes.

78RONgR.jpg
Yeah he's loaded. Back in the 80's I worked at a Farm & Home. We sent many a pickup out the drive looking like that. Fencing supplies, baling wire, equipment, you name it. The boss took in firewood in trade too. Saw many a pickup show up with a cord to a cord and a half of wood squatting the snot out of them too.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It's probably just me but I would rent a trailer if I didn't have one or make two trips. God forbid one of you guys are waiting for me in the parking lot with your phone waiting to take a pic. :p

Now the teenage me would do what's in the picture. :)
Yea i usually use my deck over trailer so i can just unload it with a piece of equipment lol

Users who are viewing this thread