Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrible A/C and Heater performance

combine9770sts

Reaction score
i have a 2022 ram 2500 6.7 with 19k miles on it. The ac on it is pretty terrible. We checked the pressures on the system and the air coming out of the vents near the end of last summer and it was all within what ram considers ‘normal’. Warmer air than my brothers Chevy 1500 and way less air flow. I removed the cabin air filter and the thing cools like crazy even on a 110 Degree day. The air flow simply isn’t enough with any filter I’ve tried including the K/N. So fast forward to January now and we have a week of 0 degrees with minus 20 wind chill. Took it out yesterday with the wife after remote start and letting it warm up to 145 coolant temp. We drove about 15 to 20 miles with everything on high and weren’t even comfortable. The windows weren’t defrosting very well near the top. Just not enough airflow. Pretty sure there’s nothing to do about it as I’ve read every forum post I can find on the subject. So I would like to know if anyone has removed their cab filters and ran their trucks that way. Very hesitant to do it because I frequent gravel roads. But yesterday was pretty bad. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I know there’s alot of post and threads for pre TSB 2020 TRUCKS. Also,tried the muzzy Heater core hose hack,and the air temp was exactly the same.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Did you remove the cabin filter to see if the temp increased? Just curious.

I agree with your assessment that the air conditioner is crap, but I didn't know that removing the cabin filter would make things cooler. I'll try that next summer.

combine9770sts

Reaction score
It doesn’t make it colder per say. But the capacity goes way up due to air flow being dramatically increased. I measured it with a wind speed meter but I forget what the numbers were. You notice it immediately though. The blower is louder as well. I really want to run it without the filter. But dealing with a clogged evaporator coil is a pain in the butt.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Hmm, the A/C in my '22 is a little underwhelming too, seems like a fairly common complaint. I don't think increasing the air flow is going to help it though. If it's blowing 50 degree air out the vents on a hot day, more air flow won't help, in fact your vent temp will likely increase. Been there done that. You need the evaporator to get colder and more air flow won't help that.

Hadn't noticed my heat being insufficient though. I was out in mine yesterday at 7 degrees with wind chill well below 0 and I was plenty warm. I had to turn it down. I was dressed for working outside but I could tell when I left the heat on and truck idling, it was very warm in there when I opened the door. Was fine going down the road too.

Seems like you may have more than one issue going on. Increased airflow might help your heat problem. I guess you've checked your coolant? I only ask because you mentioned the muzzy hack so figured you drained some coolant. Might've created a leak? Just thinking outloud. I don't think inadequate heat is a typical complaint.

Maybe a mix door issue? That would hurt temps on both heat and cool. The air box on these trucks has been suspect in the past requiring a new box and/or sealing them up so they work right.

combine9770sts

Reaction score
I did the hack by pinching of the hose to the heater core with pliers. So not possible to have a leak. One side of the hose was still warm so I’m sure it got pinched. Yes,heat isn’t a big deal. Not a dealbreaker. But the AC side….its incredible the difference from my brothers half ton Chevy. 36 degree vent temps at maximum fan speed. Took cabin temp from 110 or more to 68 in 5 minutes flat. We think because of the increased air flow. I can drive mine to one of our nearest towns about 20 miles and I’m not comfortable if I don’t have the vents pointed at me. Take out the cab filter…..bam. 5 to 8 minutes flat that cab is at 68 degrees and too cold. We measured between 45 to 52 vent temps. That combined with low air flow means not enough capacity.

I think.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
What was the A/C vent temp with the filter installed? 52 at the vents isn't very good. 45 is pretty average. 36 is awesome.

combine9770sts

Reaction score
The 45 to 52 was with the filter installed. Did not do the vent temp test after removal of the filter. I decided to remove it a couple days later and took it for a run and the difference was night and day. The temp when you put ur hand to the vent felt the same with and without the filter installed. It just has much more air flow.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Where is that filter? I'll give it a shot next summer. Mine is pretty lacklsuster at best.

Reaction score
I have a 2023 2500 6.4 Laramie MegaCab, I picked up at a dealership in Southern California the first week of August. I live in the middle of the Sacramento Valley where temperatures are above 100 degrees at least 45 days during the summer. The air conditioner worked flawlessly with temperatures over 100 degrees. My teenage son had to close the vent in the backseat because it got so cold.

While it doesn’t get as cold where I live as in the Midwest, it does get down to the high 20’s and low30’s during the winter months. One morning it was 26 degrees when we left home on the way to church. After 5 minutes the truck warmed up and the heater did a great job defrosting the windows and warming up the cab. How well the air con and heater will work in 5 years is anybody’s guess. But for the present, they work great!

RonWagnon

Reaction score
I had this issue when I changed to an after market filter (WIX). Changed back to the OEM and works great!

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
My 19 sucks too. I opted to not take it in for the recall which probably doesn’t apply to the 22 trucks anyway.

This is what I came to add. I think a big part of the airflow issue with mine (maybe others) is that it is always partially open in defrost. I can have the ac blasting on torso/feet or just torso and the windshield eventually starts to get the “ice” on it. Seems like I need lots of fan speed to get air where I want it because it’s not going where I want it

whitexc

Reaction score
Anyone notice a rather large difference between fresh air and recirculated air settings as far as how much air moves? My truck moves a ton more air on recirc especially when there is some snow build up around the wiper area which happens to be 3-6 months out of the year.

Sent from me

Grey

Reaction score
Anyone notice a rather large difference between fresh air and recirculated air settings as far as how much air moves? My truck moves a ton more air on recirc especially when there is some snow build up around the wiper area which happens to be 3-6 months out of the year.

Sent from me
Yes I have, also noted that on the first frost. The 2024 Power Wagon Windshield had a hard time defrosting, compared to my older Big Horn. I took it to the dealer, plenty of air coming up the center of the wind screen but little on the outer sides. They didnt understand it either, they made some calls and compared it to three other new units on the lot. Strange as it sounds, the defroster needs to be at high temp and set to defrost in the settings. I have also noted in the last few days, that when I come to a stop all of sudden the defroster goes into a higher mode, start driving drops down lower. If the unit was vacuum controlled, I'd be looking for a vac leak. But my understanding its all electric. Maybe a few more people will get some info and we can compare. Very weird.

Users who are viewing this thread