Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tape under doors

kkerley

Reaction score
So looking under the truck to brainstorm some plans to add lights for the running boards, just above the running boards in board of the pinch welds there are openings in the painted body covered with tape. Tape which appears to be duck tape type and is not completely covering the entire holes they are placed over. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Also wondering what the point of this tape placement was? This seems like something I would've done in middle school "oh there's an opening I'll cover it with tape and that'll work". With all of the advanced engineering and careful planning in building these vehicles it seems like at $80k truck in 2022 would have a better completion compared to my $20k honda from 2001.

Attachments

• IMG_9304.jpeg
    IMG_9304.jpeg
    414.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9305.jpeg
    IMG_9305.jpeg
    402.6 KB · Views: 77

22limited

Reaction score
I noticed that on mine as well. I’m curious on why as well.

Lary0071

Reaction score
The tape covers the openings in the rockers to keep out the dirt, gravel, salt and corrosive products put on roads in snow areas. It's a fairly lame way of doing things, if you want to do better, remove it, clean with isopropyl and place Enternabond tape over those areas. That will likely outlast the truck.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
The tape covers the openings in the rockers to keep out the dirt, gravel, salt and corrosive products put on roads in snow areas. It's a fairly lame way of doing things, if you want to do better, remove it, clean with isopropyl and place Enternabond tape over those areas. That will likely outlast the truck.
That’s what I did to mine also. We used to use that tape on semi trailers if they got a hole in them, top or sides. Also used it to tape wiring on the sides of the trailers when they had to have a quick repair. And you are right. It doesn’t come off.

Myfast70

Reaction score

Hmm, I've never heard of that one, thanks for the tip, I'll have to try it out!

bfs673

Reaction score
+1 Eternabond tape is pretty amazing stuff... but use it with caution. It doesn't come off easily at all. Usually need a heat gun and a lot of patience.
This is commonly used by RVs to seal the roof (seams, holes, tears, etc.)

OLEJOE

Reaction score
The Flex Seal tape is just as bad or good. Taped an access panel under the bottom of my RV, about a 2 foot square opening, with the Flex Seal tape and it has been good to 80 mph and also through the rain at lower speeds.

OfficerDirtySanchez

Reaction score
I removed the tape, sprayed woolwax inside the openings and used rubber plugs in place of the tape, part number 68073528AA fot nicely
I just installed these plugs where the tape was on my truck. They fit nice and snugly. It should have been this way from the factory.

I needed a total of 14 of the 68073528AA plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread