Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Talk Me Out Of Buying a 2500 vs 1500

PotvinSux

Reaction score
I don't want to start a major debate here but when pricing out the following models, here is what I am getting:

1. 1500 Laramie, 6'4" box, V8 E-torque, 33 g fuel tank, air suspension (have this on my Grand Cherokee and love it), Night Edition, fully loaded = around $72,000
2. 1500 Limited, 6'4" box, V8 E-torque, 33 g fuel tank, air suspension, Night Edition = around $77,000
3. 2500 Power Wagon, Level 3, fully loaded = around $76,600
4. 2500 Laramie, Level B, RamBox, Air Suspension, Fully Loaded, Night Edition = Around $77,700

I don't need a diesel, not towing heavy, but do want a 6'4" box for hauling (will not be above payload of PW) . Side hustle is handyman type services where pickup bed is needed. I will be in the mountains of WV where there are steep hills and heavy snowfall. There is a chance of wanting to eventually plow snow with the truck (It's my understanding a PW is not recommended to plow due to front weight) though.

Not taking the plow scenario into consideration, why would I not upgrade to a 2500 if pricing is similar? I know fuel mileage will take a big hit but am I missing anything else that would cause someone to choose a 1500 over a 2500 with similar pricing? There are a few things the 2500 does not have vs a 1500. For example, Limited has more leather, LED headlights, better ride quality.

Thanks

PotvinSux

Reaction score
I won't talk you out of it. Get the 2500. I like the Power Wagon, but #4 would be good too. Probably won't get a lot of people on here to tell you to get the 1500 as this is a HD forum. :)
I hear ya....I was thinking of posting the same thread on the 1500 forum too...lol

tchur1

Reaction score
I dont think we need to talk you out of it based on your post. You've already decided! Unless you live in a city where having a smaller truck makes life easier you will never regret buying too much truck.

thenumbertwo

Reaction score
Reason I went with 2500 hemi is payload. Even the power wagon, which has similar payload numbers to a 1500, is just more heavy duty. I saw a video recently where they maxed out a 1500 and power wagon with max payload and compared. 1500 was riding on the bump stops while the power wagon still had a few inches of travel left in the suspension.

The only reasons not to get a 2500 would be fuel savings and better ride quality when unloaded.

tyler2you

Reaction score
Given the size of the trucks are so similar, I'd go 2500 for sure.

1500 Max width: 79.9", Max height: 77.5"

2500 Max width: 79.4", Max height: 80.2"

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Also, you can get quite a bit off of the MSRP (10-12%) if you buy through the right dealer. Plenty of info about that on the forum.

Reactions: CFE

jadmt

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Power Wagon and it is pretty pathetic payload wise and mine is a level 1 which has a higher payload than a level 2 or 3. my paylod is 1565lbs, which is not enough really. Definitely go 2500 over a 1500 regardless of model.

Reaction score
I went a slightly different route. Special ordered a 2500 Bighorn crew cab 4x4 6'4", w a gasser...then heavily optioned it out:
Tech pkg; Safety grp; 4.10 gears; Snow Chief pkg; auto lvl rear susp; 5th Whl/ Goose neck tow prep; auto lvl rear susp; bench seat; bed group; wheel house liners; rubber mats...basically everything I wanted...or thought I might want in the future (wish I would have included OEM: electric running boards, fuel tank skid plate, and fender flares...I have since added myself: AMP elect running boards, OEM flares, and currently adding the skid plate).
I ended up with a pickup that:
- Has 'most' of what's on a Laramie (did not want leather seats)
- A higher payload at over 2,300lbs
- Tow capacity just under 17,000lbs
- Out the door price over $10K LESS than the Laramie
- Can seatbelt 6 persons vice 5 (no console)
- center front seat still has storage under seat (flips up); seat back stores like a regular console; storage drawer in the dash where the console would connect

Down side: I waited weeks (months) to get it
Upside: I had a working pickup, so waiting was no big deal...and ultimately bought a pickup with everything I wanted/ needed.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

SL1

Reaction score
The 1500 is a pretty capable truck if you add airbags or timbrens. It won’t compete with a 2500 or 3500 though.

JimKIII

Reaction score
I went a slightly different route. Special ordered a 2500 Bighorn crew cab 4x4 6'4", w a gasser...then heavily optioned it out:
Tech pkg; Safety grp; 4.10 gears; Snow Chief pkg; auto lvl rear susp; 5th Whl/ Goose neck tow prep; auto lvl rear susp; bench seat; bed group; wheel house liners; rubber mats...basically everything I wanted...or thought I might want in the future (wish I would have included OEM: electric running boards, fuel tank skid plate, and fender flares...I have since added myself: AMP elect running boards, OEM flares, and currently adding the skid plate).
I ended up with a pickup that:
- Has 'most' of what's on a Laramie (did not want leather seats)
- A higher payload at over 2,300lbs
- Tow capacity just under 17,000lbs
- Out the door price over $10K LESS than the Laramie
- Can seatbelt 6 persons vice 5 (no console)
- center front seat still has storage under seat (flips up); seat back stores like a regular console; storage drawer in the dash where the console would connect

Down side: I waited weeks (months) to get it
Upside: I had a working pickup, so waiting was no big deal...and ultimately bought a pickup with everything I wanted/ needed.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
What skid plate did you get? I've got the 2022 2500 Bighorn 6.4 Hemi 4x4 off-road pkg, but want to get skid plates for both the gas tank and tranny.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't want the air suspension as it's a coil replacement, I'd much prefer to keep the coil and have the bags as helpers, but that's me. Beyond that, doesn't sound like you need the 2500 and unless you're treating the truck hard the 1500 is more than enough. The prices you list are pretty insane though, maybe the market is worse than I thought.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Given your criteria no way I'd opt for the more complicated eTorque equipped 1500 for the same money as a more capable 2500 truck. If adverse weather conditions are a problem you won't go wrong with the PW either - easily the most capable truck I've ever owned (just make sure your tires are up to the task). The level 3 will be equivalent to the 1500 Limited as far as how nice the interior and everything else is. The LED projector headlights you will love as well.

If I was you I'd do the PW.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Power wagon for the win.
Got a 75th AE and love it.
Do you really need one fully loaded?
Think about what you will really be doing with any truck and what you need in it.
Mine came with LED everything.

orlando bull

Reaction score
Two thoughts... Go 3500, not much more money and a more capable truck which should net a higher resale value (most RV'ers with fifth wheels should be opting for 3500).

Second... get the 1500... ride will be nicer, fuel economy better. If you don't need an HD truck, it's probably not worth those 2 points alone. Plus, the 1500 has a newer cab layout, more interior space (unless you go Mega Cab), and overall creature comforts are going to better.

Having said that, now that I have owned my 3500 Cummins, I don't see myself going back, even if we were to sell the fifth wheel and stop camping... I'll just have to get a boat to tow and justify it.

Basser53

Reaction score
Go drive all the trucks your looking at if you can find one. Then go order from one of the high volume discount dealers or at least get a price and use that as leverage.... also make sure whoever you go through guarentess they won't raise the price on you..lots of info on it on here..

robbyreneeward

Reaction score
When I researched ordering a new truck, I was in same boat as you. First thought was a TRX, but that was not practical at all, as they can only tow 8000 pounds. We own a 38 foot bumper pull camper and a 22 foot pontoon. Then I decided to build and price a 1500 with the diesel engine, as I also drive 90 miles to and from work daily, six days a week. This would’ve been the most fuel economy minded decision. My wife owns a 2021 2500 Laramie Megacab, so she is the one that tows the camper. We have two large dogs, and she does not want them in her truck, so anytime we camp whether we have the boat or not, we take two vehicles (I haul them and the boat in our 2008 Laramie Megacab). So then, I decided to price a 2500 Laramie with the Cummins engine, same as hers, So that if we ever decided to camp without the boat, we would only have to take one vehicle. This was actually my wife’s idea, “Just buy another 3/4 ton so we have two diesels if we ever need them”. MSRP on the TRX I built was 87K, the Limited 1500 with the diesel engine was about 76 if I remember correctly, and the 2500 Laramie I built was 84. I ended up ordering the 2500. I do not regret it. Payload is about 400# better than either trx or the eco diesel I built (I’m at 2100# on my 2500), and I can tow 17k# with no problem. Can still get 20-21 mpg on highway as well. Not as great as the eco diesel would’ve been (28-29 highway mpg), but also way more capable. If I were you I’d build the 2500 Laramie in choice 4 and order from the volume discount dealer closest to you. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
2500 is the way to go for what you say you want. Always kind of wonder why people start with a mid level trim and option it up. Then you end up paying almost as much as if you just went with the limited in the first place. I have the air suspension and it gives a great ride. And more importantly, I am always level when towing. IMHO it is a great option.

Reaction score
What skid plate did you get? I've got the 2022 2500 Bighorn 6.4 Hemi 4x4 off-road pkg, but want to get skid plates for both the gas tank and tranny.
I ordered:
- a factory skid plate
- the forward cross member
- 'riv nuts'...need 2 on each side of frame (hexagon holes are already there),
- attaching bolts (4 for the cross member, 3 for the front of skid plate).

After getting all the parts together, I find out the factory rear mounting points are welded to the frame, and that 'Ma Mopar' apparently has two different frame P/Ns... can't get just the mounts!

I am waiting on ordered U-bolts to attach mounting points I am cutting from 3" square tube for the rear.

In the end it's all going to work out...I just had to do some studying with the 'plate half way installed.

Users who are viewing this thread