Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate

RichOutlaw

Reaction score
So I had an interesting thing happen this weekend. I took my Can am out for a ride. I have a 14 foot trailer with ramp on the back. I hooked up and drove to where I wanted the ride. I went out for a ride. While I was out, some jackwagon unlatched the trailer from the truck. As I was pulling back into the trailer, the back of the trailer went down with the weight of the Can Am. The front of the tongue came up and hit the tailgate of the truck. Now I need a new tailgate or a fix.
I did learn that I need to check the connection, each time.

Attachments

• Tailgate1.jpg
    Tailgate1.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 87

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So I had an interesting thing happen this weekend. I took my Can am out for a ride. I have a 14 foot trailer with ramp on the back. I hooked up and drove to where I wanted the ride. I went out for a ride. While I was out, some jackwagon unlatched the trailer from the truck. As I was pulling back into the trailer, the back of the trailer went down with the weight of the Can Am. The front of the tongue came up and hit the tailgate of the truck. Now I need a new tailgate or a fix.
I did learn that I need to check the connection, each time.
You should also have some drop legs on the rear of the trailer so the hitch ball is not the only thing holding the trailer down. And an added bonus you can also load the trailer without the truck attached…

Here its also a requirement to have a pin in the tongue latch but i always use a padlock!

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I always lock my trailer to my truck, where I live they will steal it in a heartbeat

Yea, my trailers don't leave the yard without a coupler lock. Easy to break into if you're determined, but keeps the clowns at bay.

OP, sorry this happened to you. People are a**holes.

jsalbre

Reaction score
That sucks. I’ll second (third? fourth?) the comments about a hitch lock. I keep a spare pin in the truck and trailer as backups, but I don’t tow anywhere without a lock. It’s as much to ensure I don’t accidentally unlatch it when I shouldn’t as it is for security.

Bonus points for your use of “jackwagon”. That’s always my favorite epithet.

RichOutlaw

Reaction score
Is there anyone out there who owns a patriot Blue Truck, who is removing their tailgate and plans on not using it?If priced right, I would be willing to buy it.

Kingsfisherman

Reaction score
Is there anyone out there who owns a patriot Blue Truck, who is removing their tailgate and plans on not using it?If priced right, I would be willing to buy it.
any luck on finding a new tailgate? My son got out of the my truck when he was preparing to hook up the 5th wheel and apparently it wasn't in park and it backed into the the hitch.

flan

Reaction score

Brewmark

Reaction score
Half Borrego Springs, Ca. Half McCall, Idaho
My wife was backing into our spot at camp ground and backed a bit too far. Not realizing 5th wheel king pin won't show up on camera or proximity sensor.
I used these folks to get a new one. Not cheap but much better than the dealer. Super fast turnaround and really well done. They use real OEM tailgate and you can get it painted or not. I got painted and it was a perfect match. Really good customer service.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread