Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Replacement (Bushing)

Reaction score
My tailgate is hard to operate. I've discovered there's a damaged bushing on the left (driver's) side. Aftermarket only shows right side bushings.

A dealership just told me this isn't serviceable and I need to replace the entire tailgate. Is this right?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It can be repaired i would never just change the whole tailgate thats stupid. Any machine shop could make you a new bushing for cheap and it will likely outlast the truck if made with something like UHMW

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
No it looks like they were just that foolish. Back in the day the hinge parts bolted on now they are welded

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The bushing just slides out on the right side. Left side was replaceable on older models.
Yes i know im talking about the complete hinge not even being bolted on anymore like i said any machine shop can make you a bushing

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
My tailgate is hard to operate. I've discovered there's a damaged bushing on the left (driver's) side. Aftermarket only shows right side bushings.

A dealership just told me this isn't serviceable and I need to replace the entire tailgate. Is this right?
If it’s the bushing I believe you are talking about, it’s part of the counterbalance rod that runs through the bottom of the tailgate, part # 55372744AC.
IMG_5382.jpeg

Reaction score
If it’s the bushing I believe you are talking about, it’s part of the counterbalance rod that runs through the bottom of the tailgate, part # 55372744AC.
View attachment 61997
Thanks for that.

This part doesn't show up on the factory schematics / parts list, although it does show up on some other websites.

I went to the local dealership and confirmed they no longer make/sell this part and recommend a new tailgate.

Bastards.

Thanks to you I know the part exists and how to get one. :)

Reaction score
Well, here's an update - Every time I've tried to order the part I've been told it's no longer in production and cannot be found in stock anywhere.

Anybody have a go-to parts site that you'd recommend? Or a breaker yard who will have a busted tailgate they'll be willing to extract the part from?

Users who are viewing this thread